OSB v arrow

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Does anyone know how OSB (oriented strand board) stands up to arrow strikes? I'm thinking of using it for part of some new H-frame stands I'll be building, since it seems to have the right mechanical properties, but will it hold up to the depredations of steel and brass points?

Oblivion

I wouldn't bother. Arrows go through OSB like a knife through butter. Also expands and loses strength and falls apart if kept wet.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Vagabond

OSB wouldn't last long outdoors, especially if you start poking holes in it and it starts to get wet.

Another suggestion related to building target stands:

Nothing worse than building a target stand only to see archers destroying it by hacking & digging arrows out with all sorts of knives, chisels, screw-drivers, etc.

Where the wooden H-frame is most likely to be struck by arrows, consider mounting some "sacrificial wood" on the exposed surfaces.
Any cheap wood attached to the main structural pieces using (e.g.) 9mm wooden dowel rather than metal screws.
Errant arrow now embed themselves in the sacrificial wood: so archer can now hack at this instead of the main structure. Or maybe archer can remove arrow and wood, place wood on ground, put foot on wood and pull arrow out.

Ok, some arrows might go all the way through and still hit the main H-frame, but now do far less damage.

Just a thought.

V