[COMPOUND] Certo / DS pro / HMC 22

Dreadz

I know in an area as subjective as stabs there's no substitute for "try before you buy" but not having that luxury I'm forced to buy off reviews and advice alone.
With that in mind I'm looking for a new long rod (and later a short too) and the 3 in the title have caught my eye.
The HMC with a few weights will probably just top ?100, the certo ?125 but the ds (depending on whether I go RV, Vibex or nano) will be more 150-200 with a little selection of weights.
Reviews seem to be thin on the ground so does anyone have any experience or opinions they'd care to share to help me make the decision of where to splash my all too limited cash.
Thanks.
J

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Aleatorian

Can only say about the HMC 22's as this is all i've shot, they were carried over from my recurve.

Current setup is 5" extender connected to a 30" long rod with 7oz weight and a 12" side rod in the lower bushing (Podium) with 14oz (no dampers anywhere)

Stiff as anything and take out a lot of vibration, not shot these outside on the compound yet, but had no issues in wind with the recurve

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I shoot X10s (stabilisers) every day but tried a colleague's HMCs last week with some custom weights I had made for him. I was very impressed. The weight on the 33" long rod was 300g and on the short rod was 400g. The rods handled them perfectly. I was concerned that the larger diameter, compared to my x10s, would be a problem but it was not, even on the breezy day I was shooting. Build quality, finish and curbside appeal were way above the price point. If I need to replace my x10s, HMC 22 is what I will choose.

Corax67

I shoot HMCs (4" extender, 30" long rod & pair of 10" sides plus mix of weights) on my recurve having upgraded from a basic Cartel set via a Beiter set - sole reason for buying as that they were red carbon to match my riser & at a bargain price ��

Fortunately despite my daft reasoning I fell on my feet as they are dramatically better than either previous set - have been borrowed twice to try by fellow archers who have then gone on to buy their own sets having been so impressed.

If I ever get a compound I will certainly use them on that too.

Karl

Geophys

I only shoot recurve and have W&W stabilisers on both of my bows HMC plus on my indoor bow and Wiawis on the outdoor bow, so you'd think I'd say the HMC 22. However the majority of the better compound shooters at my club (all of the Bowman class and better) have gradually been switching over to the Certo stabilisers, all swearing by them as being better than anything they have tried on a compound. When I screwed some of their Certos on to my recurve they felt awful, but of course the characteristics of the two bows is so different.

Dreadz

Thank you all for the input folks. The more I looked at things the DS became a little too pricey for my limited budget and as tempting as it was to try to stretch to the certos I've ordered the HMC's. I've no doubt they'll be a significant improvement over my current preowned beiter setup. Just don't know if I've ordered enough weight now though! The gent I spoke to before ordering suggested starting with just 3 mid weights and 2 caps but everything I can find online re proper setup seems to point to 5+Oz up front and significantly more on side rod.
Will see tonight though if I can get to the club.
Fingers crossed

Dreadz

Does anyone know where I can get some weights made? It seems 7 or 8oz works best for me on the long rod but if I have to put 20+ of the standard weights on my side I'm going to double the length of my rod and be ?50 poorer!

Aleatorian

Look at GoatBoy Archery for custom weights, I use the Doinker 421 weights with my HMC22's, so 14oz on the side rod is a nice stack but fairly short in comparison to using the W&W base/cap weights

Dreadz

Look at GoatBoy Archery for custom weights, I use the Doinker 421 weights with my HMC22's, so 14oz on the side rod is a nice stack but fairly short in comparison to using the W&W base/cap weights
How are you securing them to the rod? Are you screwing say a 4oz directly onto the rod and then screwing the rest of the stack to that weight?

Aleatorian

How are you securing them to the rod? Are you screwing say a 4oz directly onto the rod and then screwing the rest of the stack to that weight?
I bought 2 sets of weights from a "different" supplier 1 7oz set (1x 4oz, 1x 2oz & 1x 1oz) and the 15oz set (3x 4oz, 1x 2oz & 1x 1oz), these both come with screws to secure the weights together.

On the long rod the 7oz is made up of a 4oz direct to the rod and then using one of the supplied screws it is secured in the manner, rod-4-1-2.

On the side to make the 14oz stack is is set up using 2 of the longer screw, rod-4-4-2-4.

I find sandwiching the smaller weights in between larger ones seems to hold them better.

Dreadz

Well I ordered some of the 421 weights and tried setting them up last night at home. I realise that shooting will be the ultimate test but tried to get a rough idea as Friday night shooting time is limited.
I've got just over 7.5oz on my 32" long rod and with 14oz on my 10" side the bow appears to sit steady, vertically, bubble is perfectly central and rolls forward nicely.
Am I missing something as the whole long rod length x weight / short rod length would suggest I still need another 10oz on the side?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Well I ordered some of the 421 weights and tried setting them up last night at home. I realise that shooting will be the ultimate test but tried to get a rough idea as Friday night shooting time is limited.
I've got just over 7.5oz on my 32" long rod and with 14oz on my 10" side the bow appears to sit steady, vertically, bubble is perfectly central and rolls forward nicely.
Am I missing something as the whole long rod length x weight / short rod length would suggest I still need another 10oz on the side?
If it feels right it is right. If you can hold the weight through a comp it is right. Seriously... 31oz total that's very nearly a kilo. That's a lot of extra weight. I find a cheap way of testing for weights is to sellotape a small bottle of water to the existing weights. Very cheap, very adjustable.

Aleatorian

the bow appears to sit steady, vertically, bubble is perfectly central and rolls forward nicely.
Is it not more a point on how your dot/ring holds?
By bubble sits central, is that at full draw or static?

With my weight setup the bow is quite neutral post shot, it does have a minor roll like 15 - 20 degrees at an estimate nothing like a recurve roll.

I agree with KidCurry on if you can hold the weight through a round then it's right, but as long as you have the other key points sorted too

I don't think the LR L x W/SR L, really works so much now. Especially with bows that have a lower stab bushing, using that spot you have moved the weight further back than if the front bushing was used, effectively increasing the short rod length

Dreadz

Apologies, I was a bit vague, when I said bow was steady I was referring to my scope dot on aim (although I'll have more opportunity to confirm that tomorrow night) and bow sits vertical with bubble central at full draw with side rod tucked in only angled a few degrees out from the bow.
Suppose the only way to find out is to try and see what works best. Will have a play tomorrow night and see what happens.

Dreadz

I've been plugging away at this for a few weeks now and have been trying to fine tune my weight distribution. My scope dot constantly bobbed down as I pulled through the shot, which from everything I've learned so far says put more weight on the back.
I've now ended up with 5oz up front on a 32" rod and as of last night 25oz mounted on a 10" side angled down but in tight to the bow, mounted in the rear stab bushing, but now the bow seems to want to roll back momentarily on release before ultimately rolling forwards but my scope dot seems to still bob down slightly as I pull through.
Most of you are probably thinking "take an ounce off the front" but if I do that it doesn't really slow down my dot to a picture I'm happy with.
Any suggestions?
Do I keep adding rear weight to counter the downward bob or do I drop an ounce up front and live with a faster moving dot?

Darth Tom

Try moving your centre of pull up a little. Thats both the nock point and arrow rest, probably the same amount but test it. Sometimes this can help with a bow bobing down.