Difficulty attaching my Doinker Avancee long rod

efm2

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Doinker Avancee long rod. I tried attaching it to an equally brand new Hoyt Horizon and I find it very difficult
to attach it. I'm afraid that I might destroy the thread if I force it. I tried putting a light grease on the Doinker to no avail. I can
only manage to put in 3/4 turn. I need your help, guys, on this one.

Thanks,

Edwin

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The thread is 5/16 unf. It is the same one as for buttons or arrow rests that screw to the riser.
It would be worth trying a different screw into the long rod hole.( or a different long rod) To check that hole is OK.
It would be worth trying the long rod in a different hole.( button hole perhaps)To check the long rod is OK.
Be gentle with both tests. Sometimes, when the long rod is started a little out of line, it will jam up after a part turn. After that it is difficult to start it in the correct alignment. A magnifying glass can be useful on the long rod to look for a slight buckle or ding on the end of the thread. It isn't so easy to see damage inside the long rod bushing, but if there is damage I'd expect it to be right at the start, so may be visible.
If one proves to be damaged; the appropriate tap or die could be used to sort it.Many would say don't do that, take one or both back to the seller.

efm2

Hi geoff,

I tried the button holes and the stabs went in without a hitch. I think the long rod hole is the one
that has the problem. I will clean it with a brass wire use for cleaning .22 revolvers and see how it works.
Any other suggestion is most welcome.

Thanks,

Edwin

Whitehart

Occasionally a quick clean with tap tidies up the thread it could just be a bit of paint in the thread

efm2

Again, thank you guys. I think the problem is that it has no starter thread. Maybe its too shallow that the thread from the doinker can't "catch" it.
If I try to retap this, what type do I need? A bottoming tap or a taper tap? I think what I need is just to open up the thread a bit more as the other
threads on the buttons are just fine. What do you think guys? Sending the riser back is not an option for me as I live in another continent :(.

Cruise

I agree, if you have the same difficulty with another Hoyt bow, it ismore likely the thread on the rod rather than the bow.
Compare it with the thread on another long rod and if necessary, go over it with a 5/16 die.
If the thread is too different, then it could be wrongly threaded however unlikely that may be and should be returned.

efm2

Hi guys. Problem solved! Brought it to a friendly archery shop and they just re tap it and everything is fine now.
Thanks for all the suggestions and the learning that came with it :cheerful:.

I've just had to re-tap the thread in my daughters bow, after I cross-threaded the long rod recently...
Fortunately a couple of work colleagues had the right size taps.

It's good to get it fixed, but I think I'll fit a quick release/detach to avoid making the same mistake again.