Doinker Avancee V Merlin Active Balance...a comparison.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
At the moment, this is purely a desk-based comparison as I've not had a chance to shoot the Doinkers (and won't get a proper chance for a couple of weeks).

Visual:
Extenders

Short Rods

It's clear from the photos above that there is a fairly significant difference in physical size.

Dimensions & Weight

Weight:
Doinker Short Rod: 95.6g
Merlin Short Rod: 154.6g

Doinker Extender & V-Bar: 116.8g
Merlin Extender & V-Bar: 149g
(Note: While not shown in the photo above, both V-Bar mounts are the same - Merlin Quick Release)

Doinker Long rod: 141.4g
Merlin Long rod: 233g

Note: The short & long rods are both longer than the Merlin ones, yet still considerably lighter.

Dimensions:
Doinker rod diameter: 16.3mm
Merlin rod diameter: 20mm

The big question though is what sort of difference will there be when shooting??? This is something I am anxious to find out, trouble is I'm not sure when I'll next get a chance to shoot them...:(

When I get a chance to shoot properly, I will report back on my findings......

fanio

lighter rods mean that you can add more weight at the ends of the rods for a given "total weight of stabiliser system". this means the stabiliser system will be more efficient in resisting torque / movements (particularly prior to release, so you should have steadier aim). not sure how it would feel but "feel" is such a "personal preference thing" that you'll just have to shoot both to find out.

Easily Confused

I would be very interested to find out how these two compared for stiffness. I actually quite like my active balance longrod because I use a lot of weight on the end of it and it seems to remain stiff but those doinker rods sure look nice!