[RECURVE] Easton X10 Stabiliser System

nbuuifx

I've been after a stabiliser system and ended up taking a chance on a second hand X10 setup.

Now I'm just slightly worried about whether or not I've bought the right thing! I'd heard that the X10 was a good system and the price seemed good so I went for it.

The kit comprised of:

1 x Easton X10 32" Long Rod
2 x Easton X10 12" Short Rod
2 x Easton Carbon Rods
1 x Long AGF T-Bar
1 x Short AGF T-Bar

My first question is - what are the other carbon rods for?

My second question is - were there a number of versions of the X10s? As I've looked into it (after purchase) - the ones on an old Merlin listing look different. Are these an older version?

Were these a good buy or have I made a duff purchase?!

Attachments

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It's a collection of bits... The additional rods may or may not have been used with the long rod and twins, it's not so common now even to add a top rod, but some people added a top and bottom rod to a setup.

The T-bars are an uncommon piece of kit, most people just use a v-bar and extender.

X10 stabilisers had at least two different versions over the years. The original ones were considered "fat" at the time, though the 1 inch diameter would not look all that unusual now. I have an extender from the first generation (which has seen 20ish years of use :) ).
IMG_20170112_212501-01.jpg

The shape of the end caps on yours makes me think they might be originals (in which case you had good luck finding them...). Though Easton have used that shape on other rods.

nbuuifx

Thank for the reply, I did plan on getting an adjustable V bar plus an extender but thought I'd try the T bars out first, partly to find out which length feels best.

Also where do the two extra thin rods attach?

So if they are original ones are they still any good now a days? Were they a good buy?

The two thin rods look like 1980's x10 side rods , I have a long rod from that era that looks very similar. There was also a fad for having a short rod wound into the limb retaining bolts , top and bottom, in the days before Ilf was the norm

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
First hand, I can only speak about the extender, and that falls into the "you'll only get it from my cold, dead, hands" category :)

In general, they were well thought of.

You could put the extra rods into the top and bottom bushings, but, personally I wouldn't bother. They look like bog standard skinny rods to me, and you probably don't need the extra weight.

borrowing this pic from another thread:
20140520_150420_zps990dfb9c.jpg
You can see a short damped rod in the top bushing. That tends to be the pattern if anything these days. Once you might have seen one of those skinny rods there and another in the matching bottom bushing. But as I said, it's not seen much now.

Stretch

Yes those are the original x10 ac rod from the ... er late 90's AFAIR. Good rod but very fat. They had a nice feel on them as long as you could shoot without dampers. As I recall they had an AVRS built in which helped with damping. (advanced vibration reduction system) If you needed dampers they weren't great because they were 5/16 thread (back then everything was 1/4) and they where conical and nested so they didn't work with other brand weights etc. You can use them with 5/16 dampers but they look odd.

They weren't popular, at least not here, not sure if that is because they were pricey or fat, or different looking, or if the price of the weights put people off. Nowadays that seems to be a requirement :) I did try a set and nearly bought them but decided to save my pennies. (A rare event). I don't think Easton made them for long, the ACE rod ruled the roost. They are not even similar to the more recent x10 rod that was available from about 2006.

They are certainly stiff and light and should work well with any recurve setup. You will have a hell of a job finding matching weights or an extender. (When I say stiff I mean for their time not compared to current "stiff".) The extenders do appear on eBay from time to time but usually sell for more than they are worth - they are "inferior" to many of the current incl the Contour/ProLink from Easton IMHO.

AGF T-bars are a good product if they are the right size for you. The other rods are just early 80's -90's carbon rods - hard to identify without a close-up. Could be Arten, Pro-shop or a range of other brands. I'd put them in a shoebox and forget about them.

Whether you got a decent buy depends on how much you paid :)

Stretch

nbuuifx

Have received them and had chance to shoot with them now.

They feel nice enough to shoot with, nice and stable and nicely balanced. I find the shorter T bar better. I quite like the way the T-bar mounts and how secure it is.

They are fat compared to anything else I've seen.

The thin rods were Arten. Just put to one side for now.

One question though...

When measuring the size of them, where do you measure? I expected them to be the size stated plus the nested weights, but they are the stated size including the nested weights. This means they are a bit shorter than I expected.

Stretch

Rod length is rod length as in without weights. X10 was available in 24" and 29". Maybe also 34". But it depends how the seller described them- if they just said ** long then it is still correctly listed - just not how the manufacturer would list them.

nbuuifx

Thanks,

Yes they are 10" short rods, so a little bit short really. Oh well - I'll give them a try for a bit but I think I'll be selling them on shortly.

nbuuifx

Well they worked well enough but I saw an offer on a different set that I couldn't refuse so have now got the ones I really wanted,

Going to sell the Easton X10 set on again!