[RECURVE] Have you changed from Beiter to another Stabiliser system?

Robaloba

I was just wondering if you have changed from Beiter stabilisers to another set with any significant results, I have had mine for a while and I must say I really like them, I wish they would magically attach themselves, but I do like them all the same.

Our club has pretty much two or three recurve archers, so I don't get chance to try other people's bits and bobs, also the nearest shop pretty much just stocks Beiter and black sheep sticky out bits.

So I would just like to hear if people have changed theirs and are really glad they did or regret that they did, what they changed to and how do they compare?

joetapley

When they came out Beiter multi-rods where far stiffer than than the fairly naff carbon rods around at the time (and with stabilizers it's all about rod stiffness). So they dominated the market. With the development of the technology you can now get single carbon rods that are lighter and less draggy than the Beiter with comparable rod stiffness. So the market, at elite Olympic recurve level, has switched away from the Beiter. On a practical level unless you're in the running for an Olympic archery medal in the next couple of years it's doubtful you will see any performance difference between the Beiter and a modern top of the range single rod.

Robaloba

Thanks Joe, no I won't be changing them in the near future, being at such a small club and away from any major retailers I have just never had the chance to try anything different systems.

Tuck

Hi Robaloba, I have recently changed from a mixed Beiter / Balkan system, to a Fivics CEX7 system, they look prettier....that's about it. Both hold the bow balance weights at the right distance/ angle, and support dampening elements.

Darth Tom

Having shot quite a few stabiliser systems I have to say that I like the Beiters with recurve. One thing to bear in mind though is that they are designed to be shot without weights or dampers on them. I originally ignored this and while the resulting setup worked, it wasn't great. It felt like the stabiliser was made of molasses or similar, there just always seemed to be this slow sticky feeling to the bow. When I followed Herr Beiter's advice and got a very long stabiliser (I think mine is a 40" 4 tuner rod with endcap) it became very crisp, held beautifully and delivered the goods group-wise.