[COMPOUND] Removing stabilisation fixed rest shake!?

jon2222

I removed the longrod and it seems to have immediately fixed a major problem I had with arrows jumping off the rest at the start of the draw which was almost every shot (worse after the first dozen). I just removed the rod, and shot 60 more arrows, and not a single one jumped off the rest.

Anyone know what's happening here? Why would the longrod be causing this? Should I just shoot witout stabilisation from now, or or should I be persevering with the long rod, making adjustments to it etc?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I can only make a guess on this one.
Perhaps, with the longrod fitted, the bow is a little too heavy in the hand or slightly off balance, causing you to struggle that little bit on the draw, causing the arrows to bounce on /off the rest.
Just to clarify, when the arrow comes off, had you noticed the blade bouncing up and down just before; did it sound like it was rattling?
Without the longrod, was the arrow running smoothly on the rest, and was the rest fairly still during the draw?
There is sometimes a fine line between falling off and staying on. My rest is worse with carbon arrows as they don't slide so smoothly.
I can adjust the springiness of my rest, and a slight change can make all the difference, too.

I would examine the rest to see there is no roughness at the contact points with the arrow. I know that if there is any roughness it will still be there without the longrod, but better to eliminate it if there is any.
Another thing could be nock point too tight. That can create a situation that makes the arrow lift on the draw.
As for keeping on with the longrod. I would watch what happens when you draw with and without the rod. See if anything shows up in the way you draw the bow. It might just require you to draw in the same way you do without the rod.( fitting a longrod can sometimes produce a slightly different draw even though you don't deliberately change it.)
With the rod you may start with the rod resting on the ground, without it the bow is held differently.
Another thing worth doing is reduce the poundage and draw the bow to see if making things easier helps. If that helps even with the longrod fitted, you can wind it up slowly and try to draw with the same amount of smoothness. Once you feel it, it can be easier to get it right with your normal draw weight.

sreynolds

The longrod provides inertia. This is a good thing when things aren't moving around since it tends to keep them still. But the same inertia will tend to exaggerate movement. I've seen a number of archers switch from some form of captive rest to an open rest and have their arrows start bouncing off. It seems to be caused by an overly quick or jerky draw with motion exaggerated by the stabilizer. Smoothing the draw and pulling more in line (less movement of the stabilizer during the draw) generally solves the problem. Look at where your stabilizer is pointing just before you start to draw. If it is pointing too far up or to the side, you will likely bounce the arrow off of the rest. Bringing the stabilizer down closer to horizontal before the draw and particularly before you roll over the peak of the cam should eliminate most of the bouncing.

jon2222

Thanks for both your comments which are really helpful.
When it comes off the rest, it's usually as soon as I start the draw.
It's a spring adjusted lizards tongue type which doesn't appear to have any roughness. When I had the long rod on, I couldn't seem to stop the jumping by altering the springiness of it.
Draw feels quite smooth once it gets going.
My front arm (left) feels under much less strain and is less tired without the long rod. Everything feels more comfortable.

I'll continue without the long rod for now, but put it back in future when I've built up confidence and strength, and keep it horizontal as suggested.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I often shoot compound without any stabilisation as it is good for showing up form issues that otherwise get hidden. I sometimes have arrows bounce off my Trophy Taker blade at the start of the draw but never with the stabs off. I put it down to the bow being allowed to move with the early part of the draw without stabs, but with the stabs the bow acts more solid and the blade acts more springy and will bounce the arrow off.
Practicing without the stabs may not solve your problem. You need to practice a smooth start to the draw with the stabs on.

As an afterthought it may be worth checking the cam timing just to make sure it's not kicking the bow at the start of the draw.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, the early part of the draw is when the drawing is often at its roughest. Once you get going, it smooths out by itself.
Sometimes this is made worse by snatching at the string right at the start. If you find you can't get the draw started any other way, drop the poundage for a while till you find out how to start more gently.

D

Deleted member 7654

I think that's one more vote for simplicity.
A length of wood, a string and an arrow is hard to beat for simplicity, except for maybe a boomerang!
Del

frustratatosk

Hi, I don't have a great deal of experience with different rods but I have notice through watching others that some rods are not stiff enough to hard couple the inertia between the riser and the end weight. Seems to me that if the rod is too long and not stiff (i.e. Expensive) enough then it will cause all sorts of counter productive effects. Better short and rigid if not up to carrying the weight I think.
Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_225 using Tapatalk

jerryRTD

It may also be drawing too slowy in a misplaced attempt to smooth out the draw.
Del why go to all the complexity of a string???? Just use the bit of wood to hit what you are aiming for.