[RECURVE] SF Elite stabilizers - do they really work?

EVC

I am looking for opinions on these stabilizers from their owners. Do they really work well, particularly under windy weather? I am tempted to try them (currently I have W&W HMCs) but I am wondering how effective they really are.

Thank you in advance.

Elder.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I changed a couple of years ago from HMC to Fuse Blades. I like them a lot. They have build issues, but the design idea appears to work ok. I can't comment on the SF build quality, but the principle seems to work ok.

Wolfthing

So I have a full set of these and whilst they perform well and look better do they really offer less wind resistance than ordinary "tubular" stabilisers - i don't think so.

So the science here is a little woolly but put simply I believe the "thickness" is still the about same as standard "tubular" stabilisers. There's obviously an edge to it but i don't think it makes a much of a difference.

Here's something else i noticed. On a particularly windy day, my bow (SF Forged+) with stabilisers wobbled about about the same as everybody elses.

Something you might also want to consider is the fiddly factor. Because they're flat you can't just screw them in until they're tight. Like all flat bars you'll need to either use washers or adjust the thread length (via a couple of supplied allen keys) so that when you tighten rhem up they sit flat (preferably with all the ugly adjustment screws facing downwards).

There you have it. Woolly wobbly science at work. If I had a wind tunnel handy I could maybe offer something better.

There's no denying they look great, i love 'em. But functionally better than anything else & dramatically more aerodynamic? I don't think so.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I'm of the opinion that the wind on your body/arm/riser is more than enough that any on the longrod needn't be worried about... but if you like it, and it shoots well for you, go for it!!

Wolfthing

I think you're spot on. Specifically the wind on my bow arm - and i have no intention of using some sort of carbon fibre aerodynamic arm guard thing!

Phil Reay

I gave up on all that christmas tree milarky and went to barebow. lot simpler and just use a big lump screwed to the riser. it's not the wind on my bow i worry about. my ankles don't work so my body sways about quite a bit. never mind. can't have everything.

efbe

lol, I can pretty much guarantee the wind factor on stabs is just a gimmick!

much more likely is that the vibration created upon a flat stab will be a bit more unpredictable due to the difference in it's vertical and horizontal strength.

Wolfthing

I was with you right up to that made up stuff about extra vibrations

efbe

I was with you right up to that made up stuff about extra vibrations

not more vibration, ust a different reaction to force imparted on it.

try it yourself, get a piece of bamboo and a long plastic ruler. you can waggle the bamboo any which way and it will react exactly the same no matter which way the force was going. now try it with the ruler. if the force is purely mono directional then you won't have a problem, but what you can get is a twist force on it. this is the bit I would think could possibly be unpredictable.

IMO none of this really matters, but simply stating that making things more complicated could just lead to further unforeseen problems. I'm sure people/companies with huge budgets have tested this out, but I'm also sure a new gimmick is required, there are only so many ways you can sell a stick on the end of a bow :)

Wolfthing

Oi cheeky. You're just jealous that you didn't think of that...

... And besides, it doesn't bloody work anyway ;-)

Brum2010

Blades are less about wind resistance and more about aiming stability. They don't suit everyone. The best way to try it is to set up your bow as normal. Draw up and settle into your regular aiming pattern. Move the bow off target (left or right) and back again. See how long it takes to settle. Switch your longrod to a blade longrod and do the same thing. See if it makes a difference. For me, it settled in about 1/3 of the time. very noticeably quicker.

The idea is that the elliptical shape, because it's stiffer on one plane, reduces movement far quicker in that plane. It can exacerbate any up-down issues you might have, as it is inherently weaker in the up-down plane. I'm unconvinced that the SF variants have the same properties as the Fuse in this regard, due to their construction.

I'd also perhaps argue that a stiff tubular longrod is probably better, but hey, I use a blade as I found it works very well for me.

efbe

Blades are less about wind resistance and more about aiming stability. They don't suit everyone. The best way to try it is to set up your bow as normal. Draw up and settle into your regular aiming pattern. Move the bow off target (left or right) and back again. See how long it takes to settle. Switch your longrod to a blade longrod and do the same thing. See if it makes a difference. For me, it settled in about 1/3 of the time. very noticeably quicker.

The idea is that the elliptical shape, because it's stiffer on one plane, reduces movement far quicker in that plane. It can exacerbate any up-down issues you might have, as it is inherently weaker in the up-down plane. I'm unconvinced that the SF variants have the same properties as the Fuse in this regard, due to their construction.

I'd also perhaps argue that a stiff tubular longrod is probably better, but hey, I use a blade as I found it works very well for me.
see that actually makes sense.

I need a decent new stick set-up, so may have a go in the shop!