[COMPOUND] Stabilisation

Liam Hobbs

Stabilisation (is that even a word?)

Before I get shooting too much I've decided to sort out my stabiliser setup (as the cheapo Cartel long rod I'm using is way to floppy for my bow).

I'll be heading off to a Loughborough based archery retailer soon with my bow (Merlin XT) to try out 3 set ups, The trusty old MAC Triad against the all new Mybo Aeries and Certo stabilisers.

I'm aware of the benefits of having one side rod to counter balance the sight but don't see many field/3D archers using them. I have an open mind at the moment and will be trying all three models above with and without side rods.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views for and against one side rod in the field and on 3d's as well as any views on the aging Triad v's the new Aeries/Certo.

lbp121

I have used a side rod with some bows and with others I don't. I think you are going about it the right way and trying what works for you.
Incidentally, I used a Cartel aluminium/carbon longrod at regional level at a Scas event finishing quite well in the results. That was on a Light Storm 2, then I used Triad on it with a side rod. On the XV I didn't need the side rod and on the EX I do.
Take your time and just see if the grouping is better with the extra rod.

caspian

side rods are very much a personal preference, as is the amount of weight you run, and how far it is swept down and/or backwards.

trying for yourself is very much the order of the day, as is what feels good as opposed to preconceptions. I couldn't shoot my recent bow without a side rod, it felt horrible. on my new one I am seriously questioning whether I need one at all.

Marcus26

The side rod is not to counter the sight, rather to counter the front rod. Ideally it would be the same weight and length as your front rod, but that would get in your way.
Depending on the bow depends on your requirements. My Pro Comp Elite I use
33" front with 7oz weight
12" back mounted low with 20oz weights

on my MR8 I went 4oz front and 22oz back.

The bow should sit neutral in your hand at rest and have no roll or tipping on release. This will reduce the amount of left-right wobble at full draw.

wingate_52

I spent yesterday shooting 2 1/2 dozen arrows at 20 yards with different alternatives of my stabilizers and weights.
I shot my usual set up, of Doinkers, 32" front with 2oz, 16" rear with 6 1/2oz.
Then the same up front but 9 oz on the rear.
Same up front with no rear bar or weight.
20" front with 9 oz with 16" rear and 6 1/2oz.
Then the usual set up again.
Scores on a triple Portsmouth target varied from 282 to 285. I had a few nock problems during the session, but no poor releases. My usual combo gave me the best score. The rear rod with the heavier weight felt the best, but not as many X's. I may try with more weight on the front, but I would also like to shoot with a shorter Doinker up front, maybe 28". Outdoors last year, I shot the long Doinker with 6oz and no rear bar, and did well. This indoor season has gone quite well, it is my second season shooting compound after 8 years of recurve.

Shirt

I'm aware of the benefits of having one side rod to counter balance the sight but don't see many field/3D archers using them. I have an open mind at the moment and will be trying all three models above with and without side rods.
1) For field, it is more important than anywhere else to have the bow consistently upright and a side rod will help in that.
2) Don't copy what the majority are doing, copy what the winners are doing.

wingate_52

After some experimentation, I have attached my rear facing short rod on a Doinker PFAOSM mount to the lower quiver bolt hole. The rod points straight back parallel to the long rod and slopes down past the lower cam, out of the way of the body. It balances well in the hand.

CPlater1

I need to get some more weights to experiment, using Doinker fatty rods with 4.5oz out front and 7oz out back, and it tips forward too much on release

leg_iron

I recently upgraded my stabilisers & I went for the Certos stabilisers from Mybo. They made such a difference on my compound bow. The draw was so smooth compared to my old stabilisers & they also look stunning. A couple of the top archers in my club commented that they did look good & they had some very good reviews since they have been on sale.