[RECURVE] Stabilisation/Weights and Damping

jamesr-uk

Iam looking for some advice:

Iam currently shooting my first bow which I a SF Archery Forged+ riser, with 26lbs limbs.
Iam shooting without sights, and have been recommended to use a short rod (despite just buying a long rod!!!)

Any advice on short rod to buy?
How much weight should I need at add etc?

Also Damping- what is best to dampen down the bow,there is so much out there?
Do I damp via the rod, or via the limbs. I have also seen dampers added to the bottom and top of the riser

Please advise?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Iam shooting without sights, and have been recommended to use a short rod (despite just buying a long rod!!!)
Hi Jamesr. Shooting without a sight usually means the archer is shooting in the barebow classification.
If that is the case, longrods are not allowed. I think short rods aren't allowed either, just weights attached directly to the bow.
If you are going to use a sight, then the longrod will do most of the stabilisation.
Usually, short rods are added if the archer wants the bow to be heavier but without adding all the weight to the front( longrod) making the bow very front heavy.
26lb limbs are quite gentle so perhaps you don't need too many weights on the bow. If the bow is heavy to lift it can tend to cause the archer to collapse at the release.