[RECURVE] Stabiliser help

Shazza

Hi everyone, I hope someone can advise.

I really want to treat myself to a new set of stabilisers, I've had my old Cartel ones since I started shooting. I quite fancy the Win & Win HMC Plus stabs, what are your thoughts on these? Can anyone recommend any other ones?

Corax67

Hi,

I picked up a second hand set of the previous HMC (long rod & twins + extender) last week & have shot with them twice, once outdoor & once indoor. They replaced a mix & match SF Axiom set which came with the setup I bought. In all honesty I got them because they were at fabulously low price & were red to match my W&W riser rather than for a deeply technical need.

Initial impressions are very positive - not used the extender yet but I genuinely feel there is less shock/recoil after each release - this could of course be purely psychological or an attack of 'shiny kit happiness'. The bow certainly falls away more gently on release rather than jumping out of my supporting hand which is a major bonus. I found I had less fatigue after a 100yd 6-dozen round but I may have had a quieter week in work leading up to my shooting session - only time will tell if it is a permanent improvement but I hope it is.

My indoor round - a Portsmouth - was poor but that was due to trying to shoot with a streaming cold/hacking cough instead of staying home with a suitable hot toddy so no useful feedback generated from that shoot other than the lack of 'jump' out of the hand.

Probably not helpful but they do make people go "ooh pretty" on the shooting line ;)

Hopefully this Saturday I am on video review again so will be able to see if they have had any effect on my habit of hand twitching on release or my dipping bow arm.

Karl

Geophys

I replaced my Easton stabs with a full set of the W&W HMC plus, a good decision for me. The W&W stabilisers really make the shot seem more controlled, giving me a very neutral feel, if that's what you want then they are superb, and good value for money. I use mine with a Doinker adjustable V-bar, W&W CXT riser and 40# Uukha X-curves.

Let's face it 75% or so of the Korean team use the HMC plus stabilisers.

Shazza

Thanks for the feedback. I'm only shooting 30-32lbs at the moment so maybe they won't make a huge amount of difference to me, although I've never shot with anything other than my Cartel rods so who knows. Hope to gradually build up though and would like a set of stabs that will last me a long long time.

Corax67

I don't think you would be disappointed, if the HMC+ stabs are anything like my HMC set then they should last forever - the build quality & engineering is amazing.

Irrespective of your current draw weight you may still notice a positive improvement through increased self confidence in the equipment you are using.

Karl

Shazza

That's exactly what I'm after, something that could potentially last forever. At the moment I have 28" long rod and 10" short rods, any thoughts on whether I should buy longer ones? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning :)

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
You need a longer long rod if your bow doesnt balance properly......
You may already know this, but your bow should balance on your finger if you hold it around 1" in front of the bushing where your long rod screws in....
Easiest way is turn your bow upside down, put one finger under the long rod and see at what point it balances.... The idea of balancing at an inch in front of the riser is so tht at full draw, when the limbs are bent back and hte centre of gravity moves back, it will be balanced at the throat of the grip.
If your bow doesnt balance, ou can then either add or remove weight on the long rod, or buy a longer or shorter one....

When I started, the long rod length I was recommended in the shop was based on bow length, though I cant remember the details of it.

Corax67

That's exactly what I'm after, something that could potentially last forever. At the moment I have 28" long rod and 10" short rods, any thoughts on whether I should buy longer ones? Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning :)
I too am shooting a 28" long rod & 10" sides with a flat 40degree V-bar - this is on a 68"bow - I didn't even think to question what length I should have bought as that is the same as the basic ones with the outfit I bought and they worked OK for me.

There is nothing to stop you adding extra weights or longer dampers to change the balance of your bow if you do go for the 28" option since you can get mid weights for around ?3 each or perhaps even an adjustable V-bar to play about with and fine tune your balance point.

Karl

Shazza

Thanks for all the comments, they've really helped! After speaking with people at my club I think I now know what I need...now to choose a colour. It's such a hard life!

Shazza

Ha ha, good advice. I went with the white HMC Plus ones and I'm actually hoping to replace my riser in the next 12 months so I'll have to pick something to go with my stabs ;-). Looking forward to trying them out!!!!!

Corax67

Ooh - look at the latest Olympic Nations versions of the WIAWIS Nano Max risers - stupidly expensive but they look amazing :D

Karl