Arrow Rest and Pressure Button.

kinkychinky

When I bought my archery equipment, I bought it as a part of a package.

It came with a Spig Zero Tolerance Rest and a pressure button (not sure of make).

How easy is it to set up? Will there need to be a lot of tinkering?

Also what are the benefits of this sort of set up for a novice?

FYI the bow came with a Hoyt Super Rest.

Thanks

joetapley

The Hoyt rest is OK but they seem to have a fairly short lifetime (particularly with archery beginners). So be prepared to replace it with a flipper type rest. ARE is probably the best but there are cheaper alternatives from W&W etc.

With a badly set up button the arrows are going to go all over the place which is not helpful when your using the arrow hits to assess how your technique is improving. So I'd start with a basic button setup (55% spring compression and centreshot half to one diameter outside plane of bow) fix on a button tuning method (lots around though of variable quality) and improve the button tuning as you improve on the technique side. Only takes around 15 minutes to get a reasonable button tune so it's not that much of a pain.

joetapley

With target archery everything to do with the equipment from the type/quality of arrows, bow etc. you use and how it is 'put together' is aimed at maximising your scores by minimising the arrow scatter on the target (usually called 'tight groups'). The button position and the tension of the spring in it is is one of those equipment items you adjust to minimise your group size. It's part of what is normally called 'bow tuning'. Lots of guides around on sugestions on how to do this - see the forum reference section for some of them.

joetapley

What's the best way to remove the stick arrow rest
Same as replacing a fletching. Pull it of and remove any remaining gunge with solvent or scraping. (lollipop sticks make a useful non-scratch scraper)

kinkychinky

Right.

Removed old arrow rest and installed the Spig Z/T magnetic rest and cartel pressure button.

Read the Archers Reference guide re tuning section and hope that I've set it up OK.

I take it when looking down onto the stabiliser rod, a nocked arrow will point slightly outwards.

Also it has been mentioned to set the pressure button to about 50%. How does one know if it's at 50%. I can screw it all the way in but after screwing out a while, the plunger button moves in thereby making the arrow rest arm protrude outside the arrow.

Is it a just case of trial and error and seeing how the arrow scores and then adjusting accordingly?

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I don't have a great idea of how to actually set the button (my partner does it!!) but I do know when you lose the screw and subsequently the spring - the arrows go flying off to the left and out comes the metal detector. I was lucky in that a fellow club member had a spare button (another lesson learned!), once in place the right hand side of the arrow sits on the left hand side of the string as you look at it in line. Hope that made some sennse to you!

joetapley

Also it has been mentioned to set the pressure button to about 50%.
The pressure button spring to around mid range not the pressure button.

Tuning is just 'trial and error' though a systematic approach speeds things up.