Hoyt plastic rest or magnetic?

4d4m

Hi, I've had my bow for about six months now and the Hoyt plastic rest (the white one, think it is the Super Pro) that the shop fit when I bought the bow kit has worn out. The hook part is starting to sag so if I'm not careful the arrow starts to slip off the rest. It got so I had to stop shooting last night rather than risk an arrow falling off just before release.

My riser (SF Forged+) came with a magnetic rest so I'm wondering if I should stick that on, or replace like with like and get another Hoyt. The guys at Aardvark recommend and fit the Hoyt for beginners' bows (presumably because of the hook) but some people at the club think they are too fragile for beginners. I was also told at the club that another thing to consider is when shooting in wind, if you have a magnetic rest and no clicker to hold the arrow in place, there's the chance the wind will blow the arrow off the rest, and therefore the hook type is better with no clicker.

At the moment I'm minded to get another Hoyt (plus spare as they're cheap as chips)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
well, three of the four female semi-finalists at London 2012 were shooting the Hoyt Super Rest, so it's not just for beginners...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hi, I've had my bow for about six months now and the Hoyt plastic rest (the white one, think it is the Super Pro) that the shop fit when I bought the bow kit has worn out. The hook part is starting to sag so if I'm not careful the arrow starts to slip off the rest. It got so I had to stop shooting last night rather than risk an arrow falling off just before release.

My riser (SF Forged+) came with a magnetic rest so I'm wondering if I should stick that on, or replace like with like and get another Hoyt. The guys at Aardvark recommend and fit the Hoyt for beginners' bows (presumably because of the hook) but some people at the club think they are too fragile for beginners. I was also told at the club that another thing to consider is when shooting in wind, if you have a magnetic rest and no clicker to hold the arrow in place, there's the chance the wind will blow the arrow off the rest, and therefore the hook type is better with no clicker.

At the moment I'm minded to get another Hoyt (plus spare as they're cheap as chips)
Cheap as chips, and work as well (or better) than anything else...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
had a dig in my photos... if it's good enough for the Koreans...

or multiple Olympian....

4d4m

Good enough for me then. :)
Until it wore out I had zero problems with mine.

In that case though, why do people bother with relatively expensive and (I presume) finicky magnetic ones?

backinblack

You do normally get some adjustability in terms of how much arm is stuck out so they can be matched to the width of the arrows - less to catch on fletches. Also the arms often move up and down so that you can position the centre of the arrow centrally on the button.

Other than that...dunno really. The Hoyt super rest has to be the best bit of archery kit on the market in terms of performance per money spent.

Best,
Backinblack

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Good enough for me then. :)
Until it wore out I had zero problems with mine.

In that case though, why do people bother with relatively expensive and (I presume) finicky magnetic ones?
Hey, it's another thing to fiddle with...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Why do people spend hundreds, if not thousands of pounds on upgrading gear that can shoot better than they can?? Very good marketing, and that everyone knows that shiny, more expensive stuff has to be better... I mean, it's more expensive!! ;)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I second that.
I think the wrap around type and some of the wire arm ones "look" more serious in a catalogue.
It is easy to get the impression that they are better because of that. Plus, they cost more and you " get what you pay for", is a way of thinking that often works out to be correct.
The Hoyt is all one piece and nothing to come loose so long as you fix it on correctly. The hook may wear off, but at the price a replacement isn't that costly.

Valkamai

The only problem with the hoyt that i found was that they were breaking after about a week when I moved up to my current poundage. I do string walk though so that probably puts extra pressure on the rest.

Corax67

I've only shot witha plastic rest twice (first 2 weeks of beginners course) then I was given a riser with an SF magnetic rest, my own second hand riser has an SF magnetic fitted too and I love it. Never experienced any issues with it & I am fairly heavy handed but if the plastic rest works for Olympians then I agree with everyone else that you would do well to stick with what you know.

nockit

ive got the hoyt on my cxt inno,love it would not change to any other rest and ive got lots of spare one,s stick with it it,s the best rest around (IMO).

barbaralit

Every time I ask at my local shop if I should change from my plastic rest I'm advised that if I can get a centre shot with it there is no need to change it.

DarkMuppet

well, three of the four female semi-finalists at London 2012 were shooting the Hoyt Super Rest, so it's not just for beginners...
Yup, it's a fantastic rest that works flawlessly and can be relied upon.
I have a Regi rest on my recurve but have the Hoyt Super Rest as my spare. I also keep a bunch of both left and right handed ones for anyone that needs them for the club bows.
I read an interview shortly after the Olympics, ki Bo bae said she specifically put the Hoyt rest on in the run up to London because of the chance of wind in the arena, and how right she was. Just a bit of added security should a gust catch you unawares, no worry of your arrow falling off should it catch you at moment of release or make you cant your bow.

cweg

The only problem with the hoyt that i found was that they were breaking after about a week when I moved up to my current poundage. I do string walk though so that probably puts extra pressure on the rest.
The Hoyt SR is too weak for Stringwalking and for the price of 10 SRs you get a rocksolid Spigarelli ZT. Once the setup is correct you can forget about your Rest.

Valkamai

The Hoyt SR is too weak for Stringwalking and for the price of 10 SRs you get a rocksolid Spigarelli ZT. Once the setup is correct you can forget about your Rest.
Yep switched to a zt about a year ago, takes all the punishment I throw at it. :)

chuffalump

How do you adjust a plastic rest for different diameter arrows? Or do you just not bother?

My ZT stripped the holes for the adjuster screws. Had to chuck it. Now I have an overpriced but incredibly cute Shibuya stick on.

richard345

My SF Forged Plus also came with a magnetic rest, but my supplier (Aardvark) suggested that a Hoyt SR would be better for me as a beginner. I went with that and all was well for 10 months, after which the Hoyt rest broke. It being a 120 mile round trip from home to Aardvark, and a shoot the next day, I fitted the SF Forged Magnetic Rest and tried it out. It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then I noticed that the whole arm and mounting was moving when I placed an arrow on it. As it happened, I needed new arrows and took my kit up to Farsley yesterday and asked if the rest issue was normal or should I scrap it. Of course, it shouldn't have been moving like that, so I askec for guidance. Result - back to a Hoyt Super Rest - and a spare in my backpack..

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
How do you adjust a plastic rest for different diameter arrows? Or do you just not bother?
Scissors? I've heard it suggested that the hook should be removed if you shoot with a clicker, in any case. Like the way you snip off the pressure plate to use it with a button.