Thread size and type please

Ta much

Brought to you courtesy of moose on the loose

M

Moose

Guess again it is bigger than 5/16th they rattle about it is bigger

Mikey B

Then either your bow is non-standard (5/16" UNF is the defined AMO standard here) or the threads have either been poorly manufactured or damaged in some way.

M

Moose

I have a spot Hogg infinity rest and when I try my cartel vbar bolt in it it fall through the hole

Now I gave three of these rests but only two bolts so I want a third and it appears to be closer to 1/2" than 5/16th

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Moose, I wonder if we are at cross purposes on this. The rest is held onto the bow, with a bolt that screws into the "button" hole, yes? The hole for the button is the same thread as the one for the long rod, at least is is on all the bows I have had.The hole in the body of the rest isn't threaded and is bigger than the button hole so the bolt is loose in there.
Some rests have a second hole to accept another bolt. That bolt usually has a nylon tip and is used to tighten onto the riser, without damaging the finish too much, if the riser has just one button hole. Some risers have two button holes and the rest can be fitted with two ordinary bolts so the rest doesn't turn in use.

M

Moose

The hole in the spot Hogg rest is bigger what size thread is that

I have just bought an old Martin jaguar to use as a clout bow it has a large slot (resessed on the arrow side of the riser) where the button or rest bolt goes so I need a bolt that screws in to the the rest from the other side of the riser

I have three rests because

1 for outdoors set up for ACE's (centre shot correct for my monster 7)
1 for indoor set up for X7's (centre shot correct for my monster 7)
1 for the clout bow

M

Moose

Yes just a long slot with no thread

I assume the bolt head fits in the slotted recess which is larger than the slotted hole and screws in to the arrow rest that way

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I tried the Martin website but it was taking ages to download the catalogue;then I had PC problems.........
Is it possible that the bow should be fitted with a special Martin rest that fits into that slotted hole and has its own bolt that fits into that from the sight block side?
Does your Spot Hogg rest have two holes? One threaded and one not. If it has, I would expect a standard rest bolt to fit into the threaded hole but in this case in from the arrow side.

M

Moose

No it has two holes the same size both threaded

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You have three rests and two bolts,yes? The two bolts both fit any of the three rests? Do those bolts also fit the long rod bushing in your bows?

M

Moose

Yes

Now I have tried them

M

Moose

Found an old golden key premier rest manual which is the same as the Infiniti basically and the special screw with the nylon tip is 3/8" and looks like a fine thread so I will order some 3/8" x1" ss cap heads from eBay

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Can I just continue with this as I am still confused? Are all three Rests the same fitting; two holes, both threaded? If they are, then the nylon tip screw can fit either hole and the bolt to fit the rest to the bow will pass through which ever is vacant and fix into the threaded hole in the riser. The fixing bolts will be 5/16" unf and the nylon tipped is 3/8" as they say.You need 2 in order to fit into the rest threaded holes coming in from the arrow side, through the slot in the Martin riser,yes?

M

Moose

You are correct and that is what I planned but having tried a 3/8" bolt the riser will only allow a 5/16" to pass through

So have ordered some 5/16" caps off eBay with nuts I will use some thread lock to ensure the bolts do not loosen

Silly idea on the riser when everyone else drills holes Martin cut slots if you wanted to use a button you are stuffed

Maybe there was once some type of plate who knows as there is no info on the Martin website other than cam types

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think there is another way. If you had a nut that would fit into the slot on the arrow side, that had a 5/16" thread inside it, that would allow you to use standard bolts in the Martin.The nut would fit down into the slot, but be too fat to rotate, so no need to thread lock them.Or, is that your plan already? The slot allows you to slide the rest front to back according to where you want it.It might have been their attempt to allow two bolts to fix the rests so they didn't drop after time.