Worn button plunger

brianh

I don't intend this to become a blog, but it may be lengthy. I've searched the threads and found nothing that relates to the problem I've found.

I started shooting 9 months ago and settled on recurve as a discipline. Bought the usual starter kit and eventually started to buy improvements so the original button (can't remember the name) was replaced by a Shibuya DX - nice! Original carbon arrows replaced by ACEs. Come the indoor season and it was suggested that shooting ACEs at 20 yards was aking for trouble and expense so use the old carbon shafts but, since they are different diameters, out from retirement comes the original button.

Showing signs of "grittiness" the original plunger was replaced with the one included in the bag which says it is made of Teflon. Now that's smooth!

2 months on and my form takes a dive. Keep struggling to improve but no effect. Then I notice that the tip of the plunger is no longer flat but concave! Do a check on arrow alignment and find that the button needs adjusting by two turns on the locking ring.

I think the moral is "don't trust the plastic and cure the grittiness".

Anybody else had this happen?

buzz lite beer

I've never in all my archery life seen a concave plunger tip, seen lots where the edges have worn off due to poor rest set up. can you post a pic? if you suffer as would seem the case here from a worn button either opt for the gold tip version of the DX or pull out the cash and get a Beiter for ultimate longevity

brianh

Worn plunger

I've just tried to enhance a photo of the plunger and finished up with an image of 14Meg so I shall need to try harder! Probably daylight rather than flash photography will help. Incidentally, the Shibuya DX is not the faulty kit. The gold tip is fine. It's the other button that's given me the problem.

sambow

I've just tried to enhance a photo of the plunger and finished up with an image of 14Meg so I shall need to try harder! Probably daylight rather than flash photography will help. Incidentally, the Shibuya DX is not the faulty kit. The gold tip is fine. It's the other button that's given me the problem.
Daylight won't solve the file size, thats directly related to the image size, resolution and compression. Try saving the image as a jpeg (if its not already) then goto google and type in "online image resizer" you should find dozens of free image size manipulation programs. Elect to save it as no more than 800 pixels at 72dpi, your file will then be resized to an acceptable size.

Russ

I have heard that teflon tips (looks like white plastic) do wear down, which means a new tip and re-tuning - on the other hand they're easier on the arrows. It just sounds like you've got a big groove on the tip of your button.

You don't mention what make the old button is, but replacement tips can usually be found at shops (like Quicks) that stock lots of bits-and-bobs.

Or why not just use your Shibuya plunger? Or if you're worried that a Beiter might break the bank, Spigarelli makes a budget model with a synthetic tip (looks like wood, but it's not) that lasts forever.

Tropicalshot

i have experienced a concave plunger button tip quite regulary.
i use a cavalier button and when i first noticed the wear i just filed it down flat and adjusted back to centre shot.after several filing and adjusting i eventualy bought a couple of spare tips.
i have also had then shear off at the end for no reason, ( can only think of bad arrow contact on that particular shot )
i now carry a couple of spares in my never ending growing spares kit. normal wear and tear, i think the orgional was nylon and had no extended life whatso ever so now i have a teflon tip and its seems to be lasting quite well.
also the fact i have a wrap around rest means i have run out of adjustment without getting a longer button.

Last edited:

buzz lite beer

I still have no idea how you can possibly obtain a concave button tip, any suggestions? Convex now that I can understand where the edges have worn away, or a simple groove being carved out of the middle, but not concave. :mind-blow

brianh

It's still worn

Thanks for the comments from you all. My terminology is obviously causing some problems here. Perhaps on second thoughts, "concave" was not a good choice of words. It is more correctly a groove across the diameter of the plunger.

I wasn't aware that anyone sold spare plungers so I shall look into that as soon as I get chance.

Once again thanks.

Bald Eagle

If you're right handed the centre of the button should sit low against the arrow, lefties should sit high. This allows the button to turn on contact with the arrow pass keeping the button secure in the riser and giving an equal "star" pattern on the plunger face. If your plunger keeps coming loose, chances are it's not set right and if you get a groove in the centre it's definately not set right!!

Kae

The American
American Shoot
That's how I have mine set up, I almost have a Star of David on my gold tipped DX :D

Kae.

Flying Whale

I still have no idea how you can possibly obtain a concave button tip, any suggestions? Convex now that I can understand where the edges have worn away, or a simple groove being carved out of the middle, but not concave. :mind-blow
Keep shooting and eventually the groove will be deep enough that the end of the plunger is completely concave...seen it done.