Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Almost finished powered shooting machine..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Hi KidCurry.
    I think I gave you the wrong impression with what I said.
    Ah yes... I got the wrong end of the stick
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 962 Posts
    I think I handed you the stick the wrong way round; but it was the right stick I hope.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    So now that we've defined "Shootability" we have a problem. We didn't coin the expression, so we don't know if the company that first started promoting it agrees with what you have defined.
    I have no issue with your definition, but it does actually rely on your personal comparison.
    This same interpretive issue goes with any mention of "forgiveness"
    Once you cannot demonstrate the physical relationship with actual cause and effect, you are firmly on the side of opinion. If you're selling something, the likelihood is almost certain
    If you are unable to test a claim or even design a test, then you may as well assume that it is false.

However, a basic but firm understanding of physics or even just the the ability to ask the question "How can this inanimate object sense my intent?" should be enough to discover that nobody can justify their claim.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy! For This Useful Post:

Rik (05-12-18)

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 962 Posts
    Andy, I agree with all of that.
    I think Kid Curry's definition did have some merit, but seemed to be defining reliability. I think his definition was partly tongue in cheek, and partly to help me out with his reasoning that "no definition doesn't mean the idea does not exist".
    "Shootability" might, for some people, give an impression that the bow is nice to shoot, well balanced and no horrid recoil. I am not suggesting that is a good definition.
    "How can this inanimate object sense my intent?"
    I just love that idea. It contrasts very much with the idea that shootability might have something to do with how the user feels about the bow. A touch of halo effect

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy! View Post
    However, a basic but firm understanding of physics or even just the the ability to ask the question "How can this inanimate object sense my intent?" should be enough to discover that nobody can justify their claim.
    So I guess you have the same issue with the definition of 'driveability'

Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    drivability
    or drive·a·bil·i·ty

[drahy-vuh-bil-i-tee]

noun Automotive.
    • the degree of smoothness and steadiness of acceleration of an automotive vehicle: The automatic transmission has been improved to give the new model better driveability.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I think you've got two examples that don't compare. You want shootability and drivability.

I just put shootability firmly into a ######## term which can't be confined to a brand name, based on personal interpretation of what the components of shootability actually comprise of.
    It's a marketing term used to vaguely discriminate one brand from another because there's not enough difference to do it any other way.

Drivability also has several vastly different definitions and meanings, so take your pick.
    The car with the best drivability in the world instantly has the worst if it has no fuel. We could also point out that a bow described as "highly shootable" isn't at all, if you have no arrows.

Anyway, as the topic is incredibly nebulous, feel free to make an entire new thread dedicated to it and I will achieve ignoring it with very little effort on my part.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast