Cutting down Beiter Longrod

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
I'm needing to take a few inches off my 37" Beiter rod. Does anybody know what type of saw blade is best for carbon? Obviously this operation does not have to be quite as precise as cutting 4 arrows to the same length, but I'd like to make a decent job of it, all the same.

Any other help appreciated too.

LS out

markmingay

I used a Junior Hacksaw with the finest saw blade In had, I used the beiter tuning block as a guide moving it to where I wanted to cut the rods, working round the rod not putting to much pressure on the saw with the block as a guide the job was completed without any problems.

If you e-mail Beiter with the new length of the longrod they will give you the positions for the tuning blocks for that length of longrod.

As a bit of general info if you contact Woolmer Forest Composites they sell Carbon tube the same 6mm External 4mm Internal that Beiter use if you need to make the longrod "longer"
WFC Home

Ffish

As a bit of general info if you contact Woolmer Forest Composites they sell Carbon tube the same 6mm External 4mm Internal that Beiter use if you need to make the longrod "longer"
WFC Home
ahh, what a star!!

I split one of the rods on my longrod last year, and just went out and bought a new longrod. But the old longrod is sitting in my attic, looking very sorry for itself, complete with tuners and end cap, etc still fitted. I'll contact WFC and get some new rods and build a new long rod!

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup::applause:

EDIT: They also make them for kite spars too! woohoo!!! :cheerful: Now where's my credit card?

Last edited:

markmingay

If memory serves they will cut it to length for you. I just ordered 4X 1m lengths & cut them myself, used the one's taken from my longrod to make my son's longer, cut the rods from his longrod to make my 10 inch side rod's 12 inch & the rod from my side rod's to make his 8 inch side rod's to 10 inch. er I think i did that. Anyway I coulde see no differance between the Beiter or Woolmer carbon rod's probably made by the same factory.

markmingay

Ah now thats a question I think at the time it was about ?1.60 to ?2.00 a Meter but that was some time ago I know it was cheaper than Alternitave who sell rod as well.

Ffish

Just spoke to them. It's about ?10 for a 3m length, out of which there's enough to make three 35" rods. So in buying two 3m lengths, you get enough to make a full 35" longrod, and have enough left over to make a 12" side rod too.

I can make another 12" side rod out of what's left of my old long rod.

All for ?20!

It almost makes it worthwhile to build an entire set up using these rods, from scratch, when you look at retail prices of Beiter long rods.