Fun Targets

WuW

HI Folks,
I am currently drawing up some target faces for a fun shoot.
They are on the reverse of FITA faces and drawn with permanent markers.
I'm in Scotland, we intend shooting at 'em in a fortnight, does anyone who has done anything similar have any suggestions for weatherproofing of them?
All thoughts would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers
WuW:boggled:

Ski

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
HI Folks,
any suggestions for weatherproofing of them?
All thoughts would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers
WuW:boggled:
To weatherproof, try PVA glue watered down and paining on with a large brush.

Give it a go - worth trying.

WuW

Cheers Ski,
Sounds cheap and cheerful so most definately up for it! Just thinking about PVA is bringing back memories of primary school!
WuW

Tropicalshot

Cheap and cheerfull weather proof targets,
Balloons, everybody loves shooting a balloon, you can put sweets and prize tickets in them, place them in some sweet places on the boss, :poulies:

C

Compound10

Zombies .... evryone likes shooting at Zombies.....

I will persist until I've persuaded everyone that the future of archery in the uk is shooting Zombies...

Hammer Head

any suggestions for weatherproofing of them?
Aren't permanent markers weatherproof? or am I grabbing the wrong end of the stick and you mean weatherproofing the target faces?

As for suggestions of content, well I suppose it depends how good your artist is but I suspect shooting at Gordon Brown would be popular. Oops sorry just noticed ben_e71 already suggested that! ;-)

Shewolf

Ironman
At the start of the outdoor season we stick 122 faces on our bosses then wrap them in industrial cling film. It keeps the water out and lasts most of the season before they start to look tatty.

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
if you can get access to a A1 or A2 plotter then cartoon characters are fun to shoot at ... ie closest to Bugs Bunnys tail or Spongebob Squarepants nose. Images can be found on the web - politicians are good as well especially gordon brown.
Our last fun shoot I only had access to an A3 capable printer so I made up the images, split each target into quarters, printed them one 1/4 to an A3 sheet, then trimmed and stuck them together with sellatape. They held together for the shoot but it was a dry and not too windy day. also I used enough tape to stick two RN destroyers together. had the weather been nasty I am lucky enough to have a continuous laminator.

there are quite a few fun games in the back of the FITA coaches manual chapter 13

Whitehart

At the start of the outdoor season we stick 122 faces on our bosses then wrap them in industrial cling film. It keeps the water out and lasts most of the season before they start to look tatty.

Old Bloke - why didn't you think of that, just think of all the cash you would have saved on R&D :)

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Balloons full of glitter are also excellent. You get a great affect when you pop them.... my thanks to our junior archers who came up with that idea for our christmas shoot.

english_archer

Ironman
Its why I learned to fight with a two handed sword!

(and I'm not joking :))
Now you sound like my scary little brother :) he is into everything from live role play through historic reanactment to live edge martial arts, . . . . but he thinks bow's are silly :confused: (although I know you dont think that :beer:)

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
Now you sound like my scary little brother :) he is into everything from live role play through historic reanactment to live edge martial arts, . . . . but he thinks bow's are silly :confused: (although I know you dont think that :beer:)
He'd probably like to meet me. I used to teach german medieval swordsmanship using b@stard swords, not as reenactment but as a martial art. The sword edges were blunt (1mm+ thick) but I taught the style of Johannes Liechtenauer which is quite frankly an insane ATTACKATTACKATTACK!
... and theres nothing silly about bows!

english_archer

Ironman
He'd probably like to meet me. I used to teach german medieval swordsmanship using b@stard swords, not as reenactment but as a martial art. The sword edges were blunt (1mm+ thick) but I taught the style of Johannes Liechtenauer which is quite frankly an insane ATTACKATTACKATTACK!
... and theres nothing silly about bows!
If you are out and about/active on that scence there is a fair chance he has :) he lives in darlington and travels ALL over the country to coaching seminars and the such like

WuW

HI All, I just wanna thank every one who replied to me question.
Shoot came off a week past Saturday, the Thunderer frowned upon us and the heavens spewed forth rain for the duration of the weekend!
For next time I will
A; Use only good quality permanent markers as they are not all created equal, Sharpies and Bics are well up to it but some cheaper items bleed out in rain terribly.
B; Get some industrial cling film! A sound idea, if for no other reason than I could shrink wrap the club Champ and give everyone else a chance!!
Cheer
WuW

NinjaNumberNine

Nice suggestions all... I've found that you can get an old straw mat at a garage sale for around a dollar and it makes a great weatherproof target (well okay the water just doesn't effect it much) and you can also get them online; these are pretty expensive though. When I get one, I just pull some stretchy white plastic sheeting over it, and then you've got a big white waterproof target LOL... I've even made a few from long grass, what you've got to be careful about is that the straw will rot inside when it gets wet, so keep it in a dry, lighted place when not using it. :cool:

BTW here's a great video that shows the archer's paradox in extreme slow motion: (he uses a straw target, just posting this to demonstrate)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWrcpzuAp8[/ame]

Umm, does anyone want to guess what kind of feathers he has on his arrows? They're beautiful... Though they slightly resemble old rags, that is. :D

-NNN

Hugo Von Stype

2 coats of water based varnish will waterproof your targets. Waterbased varnish doesn't yellow and won't disolve in wet weather. It also stiffens up the paper target and makes it tougher.