Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 6 of 13

Thread: grain scales

  1. #1
    In the Black kennyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    grain scales

    Can anyone recommend a decent set of grain scales?. Would like to start making my own arrows and weigh current ones as am changing arrow rest to a trophy taker and the choice of the three blades are arrow weight dependant.

    Cheers,
    K.P.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to kennyp For This Useful Post:

    laullalon (20-01-16)

  3.  

  4. #2
    It's an X KidCurry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,437
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 215 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyp View Post
    Can anyone recommend a decent set of grain scales?. Would like to start making my own arrows and weigh current ones as am changing arrow rest to a trophy taker and the choice of the three blades are arrow weight dependant.

    Cheers,
    K.P.
    Try here ...Digital Pocket Scales 100g x 0.01g MYCO MZ-100: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

    I've been using this for years. Still on original 3xAAA batteries. Resolution 0.1grain. More than accurate enough for building sub 1grain arrow sets. I put a couple of strips of insulation tape across the platform to stop the arrows/round things rolling off. It will calibrate the sticky tape weight out at start up. Amazing value for money.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to KidCurry For This Useful Post:

    laullalon (20-01-16)

  6. #3
    In the Gold ThomVis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 138 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCurry View Post
    I put a couple of strips of insulation tape across the platform to stop the arrows/round things rolling off. It will calibrate the sticky tape weight out at start up.
    And why didn't I think of that......

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomVis For This Useful Post:

    laullalon (20-01-16)

  8. #4
    In the Blue
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Also from Amazon, I have had these for a while, they come with two 'lids' that can be inverted to stop stuff rolling off the scales. I took them to our lab and checked them against the lab scales, incredibly accurate and repeatable.

    Smart Weigh 500 x 0.01g Digital Pro Pocket Scale with Back-Lit LCD Display: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Geophys For This Useful Post:

    laullalon (20-01-16)

  10. #5
    It's an X AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Carrickfergus
    Posts
    4,932
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 385 Times in 350 Posts
    0.01g is a little over 0.15 grains, so probably good enough
    I'm not going to trade in my mechanical balance (good to 0.1 grains), though...
    The modern stuff does appear to be cheaper and easier to store, however.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

    The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

    laullalon (20-01-16)

  12. #6
    In the Black kennyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geophys View Post
    Also from Amazon, I have had these for a while, they come with two 'lids' that can be inverted to stop stuff rolling off the scales. I took them to our lab and checked them against the lab scales, incredibly accurate and repeatable.

    Smart Weigh 500 x 0.01g Digital Pro Pocket Scale with Back-Lit LCD Display: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
    Geophys, did you have to calibrate them before use? How easy was it?.
    these seem to be great for what I am intending using them for and the price is great. The others mentioned worry me because they are so cheap!.....I don't mind buying cheap but sometimes you can buy too cheap and end up buying again.
    thanks

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to kennyp For This Useful Post:

    laullalon (20-01-16)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Digital Grain Scales - 7.99
    By Watch_Man in forum Equipment Discussion Q&A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-03-14, 07:08 AM
  2. Digital Grain Scales
    By duffy in forum General Archery Discussion & News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-06-10, 02:20 AM
  3. Grain Scales
    By Neo in forum Arrows & Components
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-08, 07:35 PM
  4. Grain Scales
    By Tom in forum Equipment Discussion Q&A
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-03-07, 09:16 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •