Wood Turning Lathe anyone?

Calgacus

In the latest quest to slim down operations to reasonable proportions, I have decided to get shot of my wood lathe, its a pretty sturdy piece of kit and has never let me down on the various jobs I've used it for. From american stick-baits, to masts, booms and bulb moulds for model racing yachts its been a godsend. But....the time has come to let someone else have a go.

So....I would prefer to do a straight swap for a nice recurve or even a decent ILF riser given my current dilemna vis a vis risers ! If it comes down to a sale, I will do that eventually, but at this stage I would prefer to keep money out of it. The deal will be for a fully working lathe, one owner from new and the bearings are spot-on, no wobble or other horror stories and a selection of proper wood turning chisels. One of which is a boxed set given as a retirement pressie.

Any use to anyone?
(prudent to mention I am not looking for anything that special or expensive)

SSS

Hi Calgacus

What size/make is the lathe you mention ? I have a Hoyt matrix with G3 limbs 36lb which may, or may not be relevant to you? My garage is pretty full too, but dependent on footprint, I may be interested.

Calgacus

I'll try and get in there today and take a pic for you.
I have it bolted to an old wooden office desk, sits about 18" high at the chuck, just under that at the tool post and the bed itself is only 4" above the table.
Width is thickest again at the chuck/faceplate about 12" again to a very slim 4" back at the bed again.

Pics to follow.

Calgacus

Ok....heres a snap of my lathe 'in situ' if you like.

lathe.jpg

Its screwed to an old office desk and I've propped up the tools and put a target face behind it to help in visualising size.
The main tube is mild steel and you can see its got a bloom of rust, no problems with that as its usually just a rub with some wire wool and paraffin.
No tools are required setting up, you can see the release levers dotted around the thing and Im sure I even have a face plate for it, in case you fancied some face turning.....bowls etc? A face plate can be fitted to the outboard end of the drive to allow larger items to be turned.
It would be possible to use the faceplate as a sander as well if required.

SSS

Thanks Calgacus,

And yes, I'm still interested. Could you tell me what the maximum length of item I could turn on it ( is that the bed length)? I know the principles of turning but no expert! A bit of rust doesn't bother me too much, as you say, it's easy to get rid of minor surface stuff. A face plate for turning bowls, amongst other things, would be great.

I am based a fair way down south, but have a few friends in Glasgow; worked in Scotland for a few years, mainly the Highlands, and so it would be a good excuse to combine a visit to you and see them too!

How does a Hoyt matrix and 36lb G3 limbs suit you ? They are in nearly mint condition, as I switched to 40lb limbs and went back to my old riser after a short time, and they have not been used since. I also switched over to longbow, mainly, and am still trying to master it! I may even have some arrows ( platinum xx75's, straight ones, and other bits to go with them, subject to what you plan to do with them?

If you would like to send me a private email with your phone number, I would be happy to give you a ring. If I can work out how to do this myself, I will pass on mine too.

SSS

private message box full so.....

When I shot recurve regularly, I found the grip was an important part of the process. The original black Hoyt should be fine, but if you have made pistol grips, a bow grip will be easy in comparison. And forgot to mention, the fish (s), 23lb is quite impressive in my book !

Calgacus

Im sure theres a pic of the beast around somewhere, I'll post it at the risk of being off-topic! LOL
Biggest was 32.5lb from the Lake of Mentieth, but my usual place was Loch Lomond, I had a boat for 30 odd years till ill health made it too risky.