Back tension release and front arm

Yorker

For some odd reason I was possessed and shot compound for a full portsmouth and am now thinking about it :p

So, how does a back tension release work (logically you would have to overpower the bow a second time?) and should the lead arm be straight, or bent?

Cheers

Erika

So, how does a back tension release work (logically you would have to overpower the bow a second time?) and should the lead arm be straight, or bent?
Straight bow arm. I have no idea what you are talking about for overpowering the bow twice???

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I think he means pulling through so the release looses. I had a go with a club mates BT release and I couldn't make it go off... I can pull through my target master 4 but I just couldn't get this BT release to work.... I'm going to try again.

Marcus26

With a BT release it is critical that your release forearm is relaxed and you pull with the back, not the arm. Get this wrong and it just won't fire.

Shovelhead80

Try this. Get to anchor and then ready to start the release. Try to make you shoulder blades to touch each other. By doing this it makes your release arm rotate back and down wards and the release goes off. Hope this helps.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
For some odd reason I was possessed and shot compound for a full portsmouth and am now thinking about it :p

Cheers
Yorker

what sort of BT release are you using is it a pull or a rotate?

Either way you shoot like a recuve with a solid front arm and for practical terms about getting the release to go off it doesn't matter whether your arm is bent or straight (but I know which I'd rather have) - one goes off when your drawing elbow goes round and the other goes off when you get enough weight pull on the hook.

If you haven't got a good solid repeatable style it'll be just like a rookie trying to get through the clicker and nothing happening.

Yorker

I was shooting a Hoyt Selena with a Chocolate Addiction, but I found just a touch of the trigger and blam it was gone... (occasionally with release aid to the face because I wasn't at full draw) so I couldn't draw without the paranoia of the trigger haunting me. I came to the conclusion that should I shoot compound it would need to be a lot heavier physically, in draw and on a back tension.

I was looking at the Carter Backstrap - seemed just my thing, can draw HOLDING the trigger and then pull through. To aim decently I had to apply a fair bit of extra back tension against the stops anyway whilst using the trigger the bow was that light.

miragezx

Yorker,the chocolate is an excellent release but the mistake most people make is that they have the trigger too light because they dont use back tension and punch the trigger if you have the springs that came with the release try a different tension then try again or get yourself the carter evolution plus thats a bt release and one of the best on the market.

Hidden Hippo

All you need to do is replace the spring on the Choc with a heavier one - I don't use the lightest spring available simply because I can't get my thimb set without it going off. I know that archery_mum shoots a heavy trigger and Adam shoots a light one - its all down to personal preference.

P

pyroarch57

James Park uses a light trigger too. All comes down to how you use the release, and there is not one 'correct' way.
Very true. In my instance i like to pre-load my trigger, so i like a fairly strong spring - whereas a shooter that rests his thumb on the trigger may want a lighter spring.