Carter Attraction?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I am seriously thinking of getting a Carter Attraction.
I like using a back tension release and I like the thumb triggers too.
Having both in one item makes sense to me, but, could the fact that the release does both, mean it isn't quite so good as the best that do just one action?
I have a Chocolate Lite, so an Evo would give me both types to shoot.Would that be a better alternative?
An important consideration is how close the jaw is to the finger grips. If it is further away than the choclate lite, I run into draw length issues. I have to use a very short d-loop and shortening that is not an option.

Anna K

Ironman
Hi
I am currently using the attraction (and occasionally the evolution). Things I have found with the attraction - my hand position on the release is better (compared to the evo), it works brilliantly as a back tension release, and when set as a thumb release it is beautifully smooth and has no travel. The only downside I have found so far is when shooting in the wind. I can shoot the evo fine in the wind (my thumb rests on the safety and goes on if necessary), I'm not sure I can do that with the attraction when set on back tension due to the "second safety", ie once you have put your thumb on the safety/trigger you have to rearm the safely by touching the second stickyout bit. Something I need to try properly.

I haven't used a chocolate lite, but one thing I would consider is the comparative shape of the jaw. I couldn't interchange my evo with a just cuz because I needed to move the peep to have the same anchor point. So I would suggest checking that if you intend to swap between them.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Anna K,
I read that the safety is pressed at full draw on the Attraction, where the Evo is pressed at the start. Pressing at full draw is like my Loesch, which I am happy about. Pressing at the start is like on the Revolution, which seemed odd to me.
I can't use a peep sight so I might need to consider a sight adjustment if going from Attraction to Chocolate lite.
The second safety seems to be the only tricky aspect of the release aid.Did I understand correctly, If I press the safety to prepare to shoot and something goes wrong, it isn't enough to let go of the safety, I also would need to press a second trigger. Call it the "safety re arm",yes?

Anna K

Ironman
Yes you are correct that you need to press a "re-arm". It isn't a problem in normal conditions - it doesn't have much movement so I just need to touch it, there is a slight click so you know it's rearmed, and it's not in an awkward place so it's fine to do before coming down.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks again, AnnaK. Just ordered one!
The Carter advert mentions a pin and magnets to adjust the tension. Have you done anything with yours? The pin sounds unusual.

pyroarch57

Pyroarch, I'm all ears /eyes, now! Tell me more,please.
Oh it`s only a personal opinion Geoff. I`ve found that when needing to let down quickly you need the least possible distraction, and fiddling with fingers involves conscious thought -- unsuitable for me and something i`ve learnt from experience. Of course it all depends on the archers mind set. Who knows it may be fine for you, i know Anna`s happy with hers.:beer:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers for that. I can see that letting down could be tricky. I guess I need to practise doing that so it becomes part of what I can do. Don't want to learn how, at the field under any stress!
Just read the adjustment document on the website, seems simple enough so long as changing springs or magnets isn't required. Then, a few pictures would really help. I couldn't get my head round that part.

Anna K

Ironman
Adjustment is dead easy - insert allen key in hole, twist clockwise to increase weight, anti clockwise to reduce. I set my back tension weight, and then can take off 10 turns to use as trigger.

No need to fiddle with magnets.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks again,Anna K. I can do the adjusting. The magnets may never need to be changed, nor the trigger springs. I somehow can't see me being able to resist finding out how to, though. It's the way I am.heehee

disbloke

Changing magnets and springs is a lot easier to do than the instructions make it seem. Once you have the release and can look at it properly to be able to see what they are talking about.

Shoot mine as a trigger and do short boss/technique practising with the back tension.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Attraction arrived on time...
Very simple to use in back tension mode; Loesch is very tricky in comparison.
I have swapped springs already; simple really, but fiddly getting trigger and spring back in. Not tried magnets change as it seems right with the standard one fitted.
When adjusting trigger travel, I noticed that turning the adjuster screw clockwise, the trigger moves back as if being pulled, until it becomes solid. Is that Normal?Or should I be holding the trigger in all the time to adjust travel? Does trigger travel adjustment only apply when the tension on magnet is wound right off, ready for trigger type use?
I did try coming down from full draw once. I pulled as if to try to shoot, then stopped pulling. Took my thumb off the safety and pressed to safety2 trigger. Then came down safely. The only problem was, there was no sensation of the safety2 doing any moving or clicking. Does activating safety2 move in the same direction as the main trigger on a thumb release?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Had a look inside with my X-ray vision. All neat and simple in there.
The only surprise was a magnet that fits into the body so that it attracts the trigger to bring it to the start position, even if no spring is used.

Martin Heelis

Ironman
I ordered a Carter Attraction a couple of days back but I am sending it back to Clickers. Apparently they have not heard anyone say a good thing about it. My problem was that there is a small pin to the left of the writing that jabs into my finger.

According to the shop this is not a manufacturing issue and they are supposed to be like that. :eye-poppi

Martin

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I ordered a Carter Attraction a couple of days back but I am sending it back to Clickers. Apparently they have not heard anyone say a good thing about it. My problem was that there is a small pin to the left of the writing that jabs into my finger.

According to the shop this is not a manufacturing issue and they are supposed to be like that.
I like the one I have. I can't say anything bad about it.
I know there is a pin to the left of the writing. I did notice it when I shot with it, but I think that was my fault. I had put the pin and its related hardware back together in the wrong order.Looking at the release aid so the little finger cut out is to the right, and the jaw is facing away, the pin needs to have the head uppermost.(visible from the top view). When the release is upside down, the pin has a groove round it for the e-clip. Under the e-clip there is a small washer. I had put that washer under the pin's head on the other side, so the head was sticking up out of its hollow.When all was returned to the proper places,the pin is all but undetectable.

Martin Heelis

Ironman
I like the one I have. I can't say anything bad about it.
I know there is a pin to the left of the writing. I did notice it when I shot with it, but I think that was my fault. I had put the pin and its related hardware back together in the wrong order.Looking at the release aid so the little finger cut out is to the right, and the jaw is facing away, the pin needs to have the head uppermost.(visible from the top view). When the release is upside down, the pin has a groove round it for the e-clip. Under the e-clip there is a small washer. I had put that washer under the pin's head on the other side, so the head was sticking up out of its hollow.When all was returned to the proper places,the pin is all but undetectable.
Hmm, someone at the factory is not assembling them correctly then perhaps? Doesn't matter anyway now, it's all packaged up ready to go back. I'm getting a 3-finger version of the Carter Chocolate Lite that I already have.

Martin

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Martin, perhaps someone changed the spring on the thumb trigger and put things back in the wrong order.
I also have a Choclate Lite.They feel very similar, to me.
I like the back tension option, should I want to check out anything that way. The tension adjustment is far better than changing springs.