Carter Evolution?

andythegreat

has anyone here taken a bow scales to a carter evo???

i did recently and found that i does not go at the exact same poundage each time with a difference of 2 pounds from higest to lowest,

this wastried this with 3 other evos at the compition and results were the same the same??

just wondering if any of ye have done this??

Anna K

Ironman
This is going to sound like a funny question, but were the scales the spring based bow scale ones? Because we have found that the scales can be a little off occasionally, especially depending on how they are used.

James and I recently did some speed testing, and me using my evo got exactly the same speed every time whereas James with a trigger got a slight difference (not much, but it wasn't as spot on as mine), suggesting that the evo was much much more consistent.

PRG1440

I'm with Anna on this, I have always found my evo to be very consistent in it's timing of release and the speed of the bow with it.

I checked my evo on a set of easton digital bowscales one day and found that it was the same every time.

G

GuardianAngel

has anyone here taken a bow scales to a carter evo???

i did recently and found that i does not go at the exact same poundage each time with a difference of 2 pounds from higest to lowest,

this wastried this with 3 other evos at the compition and results were the same the same??

just wondering if any of ye have done this??
I have shot an Evolution and found it inconsistent. I dont mean small variations down to variations in my technique (of which there are), but variations that on one shot it would just go off when you took your thumb off the trigger, and the very next shot it wouldnt at all, or at least be very difficult to get it to go after almost pulling the bow in half! However, both shots would feel the same.

I know of two other archers, one of which is GMB, who found the same with the Evo. One of those archers had sent back their Evo to Carter, who had sent it back repaired, and has been fine since, which suggests there is a design fault somewhere.

Hidden Hippo

I'm currently shooting an Evo at a fairly high setting- ~10lbs heavier than my holding weight. The only problem I find is that it is very critical of technique. If my shoulder rises at all, the shot will be harder to pull through, if my rear elbow is out of alignment at all it will be harder.

Particularly when my front shoulder rises I may feel like I'm pulling the bow in two when in reality my shoulder is out of position thereby making my muscles strain for little gain, especially at the poundage I'm using it at.

Anna K

Ironman
I'm currently shooting an Evo at a fairly high setting- ~10lbs heavier than my holding weight. The only problem I find is that it is very critical of technique. If my shoulder rises at all, the shot will be harder to pull through, if my rear elbow is out of alignment at all it will be harder.

Particularly when my front shoulder rises I may feel like I'm pulling the bow in two when in reality my shoulder is out of position thereby making my muscles strain for little gain, especially at the poundage I'm using it at.
Yes that is true, I have found the same thing. So I know that if the release is refusing to go off I'm doing something wrong and can come down and start again. In that sense it means that you have to shoot properly and the arrows go in the right place because of it.

PRG1440

I think too many people have picked up the evo and thought it would solve release problems instantly, but it won't. I found that it took me months and months before I was able to use it consistently, it is like no other release that I have used. But once you learn how to use it properly it can produce some awesome scores.

I've seen lots of people try it for a bit, find that it has done nothing for their scores, then given up. Anna is a great example of someone who has stuck with it and produced some blinding scores this outdoor season, well done!

Fletchett

I have shot an Evolution and found it inconsistent. I dont mean small variations down to variations in my technique (of which there are), but variations that on one shot it would just go off when you took your thumb off the trigger, and the very next shot it wouldnt at all, or at least be very difficult to get it to go after almost pulling the bow in half! However, both shots would feel the same.

I know of two other archers, one of which is GMB, who found the same with the Evo. One of those archers had sent back their Evo to Carter, who had sent it back repaired, and has been fine since, which suggests there is a design fault somewhere.
The same thing happened with me.
I have no problem with my form (not a huge one), I was practicing days
at the blank boss with my revolution. I did feel inconsistent that time,
but after I tried out at long distances 70 and 90 m I was really disappointed.
Normally I can shoot around 54-55 from 90 m, but with the revolution I was
struggling to keep my arrows in the gold (48-50).

I went back the blank boss, but didn`t help really, and than we used an Easton digital scale to check the release aid.

17.9# 18.3# 18.7# 19.1#

It was never the same, and it didn`t feel the same.

Carter should work on these release aids a bit more. The idea is great, but the
product isnt good enough yet...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I remember a post from about a year ago stating that the Loesch was more prone to weight changes due to temperature variations.I think the theory was that the mechanism expanded and changed the levering action.
I have made a few release aids that used the Evo and Loesch principles. They did work up to a point; but the soft metal I used meant they wore down very quickly. However, from what I learnt when making them, it seems a very sensitive mechanism.( a spot of oil in the wrong place and the weight can halve instantly. There is the equivalent of a gearing down.(or up depending which end you are looking at.) I think that means that slight changes at the jaw end become magnified where the adjustment spring is situated. Changes, I guess, could be caused by rotating the release to varying angles.

bassplayer34

Fonz Awardee
I shoot an Evo+ and a Loesch. I do find that the Cater is much more consistent than the Loesch.
With the Loesch you have to be careful of the angle you hold the release as any variations can make the release easier/harder to trigger.

G

GuardianAngel

There is another problem with the Evo I forgot to mentioed in my original post. Sometimes you could hear the mechanism creak just before it would go off.

Being clamped to the side of your face you can hear/feel the slightest noises/vibrations.

Again, other Evo shooters I have spoken too have noticed the same thing (although not all).

This did not bother me too much but it kind of goes against the notion of a suprise shot, i.e. when you hear it its about to go off!

PRG1440

i noticed a click on mine one day, I took the evo apart cleaned it oiled it and it has been fine ever since. When used alot they do need to be oiled every now and then.

I feel lucky with my evolution! Once I worked out how to shoot it, it has been awesome ever since. You need a very consistent anchor point, and don't allow the release to rotate around in your hand, and then you find that it can be very consistent. Never had a problem with mine.

oldy

There is another problem with the Evo I forgot to mentioed in my original post. Sometimes you could hear the mechanism creak just before it would go off.

Being clamped to the side of your face you can hear/feel the slightest noises/vibrations.

Again, other Evo shooters I have spoken too have noticed the same thing (although not all).

This did not bother me too much but it kind of goes against the notion of a suprise shot, i.e. when you hear it its about to go off!
This is the worst aspect to me, I could cope with all the others but noises and creaks/clicks just wipe me out, when they come at that moment of hightened sensitivity. When I shot recurve I used to put tape on my clicker so that it didn't scrape just as it was about to go off.

IanHalewood

I tried an Evo for a couple of weeks and must admit, I was really getting into it Howoever, I started to find it almost impossible to pull through after a couple of ends and eventually gave in. When we tried the release on a set of scales, the weight that it triggered had gone up considerably, without any imput from me. I started to wonder if there was any way that the weight could be altered accidentally by incorrect use ? when I was using it, once or twice, I forgot to release the safety and pulled pretty hard before having to come down. Just wondered if that could effect the setting ?

Hidden Hippo

As a test I weighed my Evo on a set of bowscales today whilst during the second round of Evesham. I found, as did another Evo user there that the head angle changed the weight the release went off at by approximately 1-1.5lbs, so a pretty significant amount. I find that as long as I am consistent, it will go off easily, after all, as long as you make a good shot each and every time, does it really matter whether you're pulling 24 or 24.5lbs into the wall (especially since it will be the same if you're consistent with it).

As for the creaking - I used to be able to hear it, but I now concentrate so hard on aiming that I don't really hear that much, at least, not that takes my notice.

andythegreat

yeah it was with a digital scales..

dosnt bother me coz i pull like 20lbs over holding weight so i pull alot just sum1 asked me if i noticed and we got the scales out.

apart from that great releases