Carter Evolution Setup

MikeD

I know one or two people here shoot a Carter Evolution. I was wondering how much heavier than holding weight people prefer?

ThePinkOne

I know one or two people here shoot a Carter Evolution. I was wondering how much heavier than holding weight people prefer?
Two or three pounds more. That way I have a smooth pull through but without punching.

The most difficult thing is though measuring the holding weight.... on the "original" evo the springs were a little heavy if you shot a Bowtech with 80% let-off and you have to take the thing to bits to change the springs! That shouldn't be a prob with the Evo plus though.

P.

MikeD

The most difficult thing is though measuring the holding weight.... P.
My Evolution should arrive from Alternative today, so last night I tried measuring the holding weight using a digital scale. While I was trying to hold steady in the valley the weight was varying between about 17 and 18.5 lbs. So if the Evolution plus is set to 19lb from the factory I might need to increase it a bit.

How would you punch this release? I thought the point was you couldn't punch it...

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My Evolution should arrive from Alternative today, so last night I tried measuring the holding weight using a digital scale. While I was trying to hold steady in the valley the weight was varying between about 17 and 18.5 lbs. So if the Evolution plus is set to 19lb from the factory I might need to increase it a bit.

How would you punch this release? I thought the point was you couldn't punch it...
Punching an evo is possible but its not a normal punch. its more of a Yank to suddenly increase the force on the relaese mechanism. Punching a normal release is better than yanking an evo.

MikeD

Punching an evo is possible but its not a normal punch. its more of a Yank to suddenly increase the force on the relaese mechanism. Punching a normal release is better than yanking an evo.
Ah OK I think I'll know if I start doing that!!

It's just arrived at my desk at work :) Feels very nice, but I've got to stop playing with it with a piece of string. People are beginning to look :cheerful:

Quadratus

The best way I have found to set up an Evo is simply to set it to the highest weight, try it, and then lower the weight until I get what I want. You will probably do quite a bit of fiddling to get it just right, and I have found that I need to set up as a compromise between what I can easily draw at the start of the shoot :cheerful: and what I can manage a hundred arrows later :wide-eyed::relieved:.

For the record, I finish up with mine set to about 4 lb heavier than my holding weight, but, other than to get a very rough starting point, I haven't found using bowscales to be a very good way of doing it - might be different if I had accurate digital scales, but ordinary spring scales don't do the business for me.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ah OK I think I'll know if I start doing that!!

It's just arrived at my desk at work :) Feels very nice, but I've got to stop playing with it with a piece of string. People are beginning to look :cheerful:
I think a good way to check the tension on the release is to check yourholding weight with a set of scales then use the scales to check the weight setting on the release. it would give you a good idea of the weight the release needs to set off.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
The best way I have found to set up an Evo is simply to set it to the highest weight, try it, and then lower the weight until I get what I want. You will probably do quite a bit of fiddling to get it just right, and I have found that I need to set up as a compromise between what I can easily draw at the start of the shoot :cheerful: and what I can manage a hundred arrows later :wide-eyed::relieved:.

For the record, I finish up with mine set to about 4 lb heavier than my holding weight, but, other than to get a very rough starting point, I haven't found using bowscales to be a very good way of doing it - might be different if I had accurate digital scales, but ordinary spring scales don't do the business for me.
Well there goes my idea.

MikeD

Thanks Alan,

I got a set of digital scales for ?30, which measure peak or continuous. I'm not convinced as to how accurate they are, but I can use them to check what poundage the Evolution is set at as a comparison to the holding weight. I originally asked the question because I've heard wildly varying ranges of setting. At one point Chris S. told me he had his back tension release set to 45lb as that was similar to his recurve! I wonder if he is still doing that. Others have said set to about 26lb, but 2 to 4lb above holdign weight sounds good to me :)

I'm looking forward to shooting it, but I don't know if I'll be brave enough to shoot it at Drum on Sunday... I've got 3 practice sessions to decide.

GeoffT

Ironman
Punching a normal release is better than yanking an evo.

Not sure I agree with that Schme. Both are bad, but at least when yanking an EVO the front is going forwards and the back backwards. That must be better than jerky, twitchy punch. Usually bows, bow arms and drawing arms go all over the place after a punch and bad habits are learnt.

I found it hard to believe Marcus when he said shooting a BT release was better in the wind, but I am finding that it is. Aren't EVOs brilliant:cheerful:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
When you set the Evo, to start with you just need it to be heavier than the bow's holding weight so it doesn't release with the safety trigger. To find the best release weight for you is found by trial and improve. If you were new to compound or have an erratic draw routine, a large gap between the two is needed to prevent the release going before you are ready. If you have a very well controlled draw you will be able to set the Evo closer to the holding weight, should you want to. Some prefer the higher weight as they tend to pull hard into the stops with any release.

Marcus26

I've been shooting one for about 3 weeks now. This is my exclusive release now.
I set mine up by starting high and working down, however I found that did not work well. I could make it fire sometimes, but not consistantly.
I then changed tact and set it light and worked up. That was better.
I have mine 2-3lb heavier than I hold.
I have also found the following
? Rear scapula setup is vital. I must set it low and not lift it to move to anchor, rather rotate my arm.
? It is too easy to not pull hard enough before releasing the safety. This leads to anticipation (for me) so if I make sure I am pulling firmly first the release fires faster and I aim steadier.
? I am now keeping my thumb resting on the safety while executing. At a FITA on Sunday I twice flinched and pushed the release into my thumb. This re-engaged the safety by accident leaving me at half draw going 'oh crap oh crap oh crap'. That would have been 2 misses had I tucked my thumb away taking me from 1st to 5th.
? Get your bow shoulder as close to the arrow as you can, and keep it low. This helps prevent left shots.
? Stick with it. My first 50m round with it was a 326, and 3 weeks later shot 345. If I had swapped and changed I would have gone no where.

I'm very happy. I felt I had hit a wall with my trigger where the next improvement stage was going to be slow and difficult. This release has in a short time taught me so much about my own execution and where my flaws were. I now feel like I have a huge room to improve, and am scoring the same as I was before.

MikeD

? It is too easy to not pull hard enough before releasing the safety. This leads to anticipation (for me) so if I make sure I am pulling firmly first the release fires faster and I aim steadier.
? I am now keeping my thumb resting on the safety while executing. At a FITA on Sunday I twice flinched and pushed the release into my thumb. This re-engaged the safety by accident leaving me at half draw going 'oh crap oh crap oh crap'. That would have been 2 misses had I tucked my thumb away taking me from 1st to 5th.
Well I made a start last night. I had a few scary moments when I forgot to hold the safety and watched arrows bounce across the hall floor. And I discovered what the 'punch' is like, which resulted in an arrow buried 2" deep into the wood at the top of the foam boss...

The release aid was set much lower than the 19lbs suggested, in fact it was much nearer to 15lbs. Once set I started to get good results almost straight away.

Marcus your hints are going to be a great help as I try to make the change. Can I just check I understand the first bullet in the quote. Rather than drawing to the valley and releasing the safety, you draw into the wall and then release the safety?

My, very limited, experience suggests that it is important to keep moving and not to stop and then try to start to apply back tension again (very much like recurve).

Unfortunately this release requires I make changes to peep height and possibly draw length (maybe just d-loop length) so I'm going to hold off changing over till next week when I can get a session with my coach and get past the field competition on Sunday. However, after shooting with the Evo for about an hour and half last night I changed back to my thumb release and shot it better than I have for some time. So I think I'll use the Evo with a rope as a training aid between now and then, if I use Marcus's suggestion and rest my thumb on the safety any tendency to punch the trigger will stop the release happening.

Most of the club members where shooting outdoors last night, but in the hall three of us were trying back tension releases for the first time. Two With Evolution+ and one with a Loesch.

Quadratus

I've been shooting my Evo very successfully for about six or seven months now ? PB's on every indoor round I've shot - but I still find that occasionally I am pulling too hard when I slip the safety and the shot goes immediately. I know that a lot of would-be Evo users have developed bad flinches and given up precisely because of this. The answer for me has been to make sure I am fully on aim and to release the safety slowly and, above all, smoothly. This way if the shot does go, it will be a very good one. So, no anxiety and no flinching. I think this is pretty much Marcus' second bullet point.

The other point that seems to be particularly critical with the Evo is the balance of pressure between bowarm unit and drawing arm unit. With every other release I have used I have had my best result using "push-pull", but with the Evo I get far better results by using "just pull". I realise the bowarm unit must be pushing, but not consciously so. This made a big difference for me, personally.

Marcus26

The release aid was set much lower than the 19lbs suggested, in fact it was much nearer to 15lbs. Once set I started to get good results almost straight away.
Mine is set to 14.5lb, so every bow is different
Marcus your hints are going to be a great help as I try to make the change. Can I just check I understand the first bullet in the quote. Rather than drawing to the valley and releasing the safety, you draw into the wall and then release the safety?
Yes. I find that I must use the wall to stabilize otherwise I do not old steady enough.
My, very limited, experience suggests that it is important to keep moving and not to stop and then try to start to apply back tension again (very much like recurve).
Yep, sounds right to me.

Good luck!

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Just a quick point. If you use an evo and shoot 2 bows you will need to check the holdng weight on both bows. My ate was shooting his evo off his apex set to around 20# as the holding weight was about 18. He then set up his Apex 7 and used his evo with no adjustments. He found it a struggle to get the evo to go off. Checked the holding weight. The 7 was 4# light than the standard apex. The evo is now adjusted for his 7 and he shot a new PB of 1346. The setting of the evo is critical to a good shot and if you have 2 bows you will shoot on a regular basis I suggest you have 2 evo's one for each bow.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I wanted to pick out just one point from Marcus' post. The one concerning learning about his own form. The Evo (and Loesch) can be a great training aid, for experiencing a true surprise release. Once discovered, it can then be used with almost any other release. It is also a great release to use in its own right.
Using a long loop of cord/string, archers can pull to full draw, and pull that bit harder and let the release give them the surprise. Even recurve archers can have a go to find out what the feelings are like when the shot is not anticipated in any way.

Marcus26

While I agree wih you on that Geoff, I think that it is important that users do not discount the Evo as a competition release. I shoot a trigger just fine in practise, but it's competitions where the trigger fails me (my usage of of course). I know the reason why (all mental) and the Evo has so far helped me beat that.
If someone gets ervous or punches only in competition I recommend the Evo for competition usage.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
While I agree wih you on that Geoff, I think that it is important that users do not discount the Evo as a competition release. I shoot a trigger just fine in practise, but it's competitions where the trigger fails me (my usage of of course). I know the reason why (all mental) and the Evo has so far helped me beat that.
If someone gets ervous or punches only in competition I recommend the Evo for competition usage.
I agree as well. A lot of people have used back tensions over the years during competitions to good use. Jamie Van NAtta uses one and she holds the ladies world record. My mate shot his PB for a gents fita with his. Splitter used his on the aiuk feild shoot. Just because its a back tension doesnt mean it cant be used for competitions.