Changing the springs on a Carter Evolution?

sunmouse

Tonight I tried to change the spring on my Carter Evolution (with the ITS system) and simply found that I wasn't sure whether you put the spring on the screw part or you drop the spring into the release first then put the screw part and insert the 'box' in. After several 'goes' I put the thing away and fumed!

If anyone has any photos of the Carter Evolution ITS system I'd be rather grateful, otherwise its Dave at the club who could fit this spring for me. I have all the bits as well. I have tried using the instructions from Carter's own website but I'm not quite sure where the spring actually goes in relation to the rest of the ITS.

pyroarch57

Tonight I tried to change the spring on my Carter Evolution (with the ITS system) and simply found that I wasn't sure whether you put the spring on the screw part or you drop the spring into the release first then put the screw part and insert the 'box' in. After several 'goes' I put the thing away and fumed!

If anyone has any photos of the Carter Evolution ITS system I'd be rather grateful, otherwise its Dave at the club who could fit this spring for me. I have all the bits as well. I have tried using the instructions from Carter's own website but I'm not quite sure where the spring actually goes in relation to the rest of the ITS.
I had a photo of the internals of the Evolution but have since deleted it. But try Geoffretired, i sent him a pic of it some time ago.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I still have the open view photo of the EVo.
I feel though, that it is an earlier version as there is no trap door for changing springs. In the early days, I think they had to be sent to the dealer for dismantling and changing springs.
Looking at current photos, the spring should be placed onto a block that runs along the screw thing.
There will be a larger black piece that is a sort of door that fills the opening once everything is inside. The block that holds the spring is probably silvery coloured and may have a shallow hole in it to keep the spring in place.
Place the spring in the hole, if there is one, and slide everything carefully into the handle so the spring does not fall over(it should stand on its block like a tin of beans on a shelf.)Once the spring has entred the opening, my guess is there will not be enough room for it to fall over after that.

sunmouse

Thank you Geoff. Your message cleared the problem! This complete numpty (me) had been putting the spring on the wrong bit which was why the screw and the whole ITS wouldn't go in properly.

I've written down a method of doing it in my little sight book so I won't forget.

One of the many reasons why I won't make a decent engineer.

pyroarch57

Thank you Geoff. Your message cleared the problem! This complete numpty (me) had been putting the spring on the wrong bit which was why the screw and the whole ITS wouldn't go in properly.

I've written down a method of doing it in my little sight book so I won't forget.

One of the many reasons why I won't make a decent engineer.
You`re welcome.