DIY release aid.

philhoney

Hi,
Now that Christmas is over, all the club bows have been refurbished, all our arrows are in good condition etc I am at a bit of a loose end and am looking for something to get me away from the mindnumbing TV.
I fancy having a go at making a basic release aid. Am I right in thinking that there is a type of release that has no trigger, no hinge or jaws, just an "L" hook in a handle?
If so, how do you use it? Is it used by rotating the release by pulling with the fingers furthest from the thumb.
I have the materials and tools to do the job but could do with some advice before I get started on the wrong track.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, Phil, you have it right.I have seen pics of them, and they look simple enough to make.I guess the hook shape will be critical to how much delay( or safety margin) there is. I would also guess that the forward extension of the hook in front of the handle would be important, as is the position of the hook's end in relation to the index finger.Sounds like a lovely experiment, with a real product at the end. Nice one!

M

Moose

Do a search on the web for archery history or compound history there is a good site that has lots of things on but has a good section on release aids including the earliest types almost like thumb rings and how they worked plus lots of pictures

courtesy of moose on the loose

philhoney

Hi Geoff,
I do have one similar to this Allen Archery Compound Bow Easy Thumb Release Aid | eBay
that I can use as a pattern for the handle and I'll have to experiment with the length and angle of the hook.
Phil

Yes, Phil, you have it right.I have seen pics of them, and they look simple enough to make.I guess the hook shape will be critical to how much delay( or safety margin) there is. I would also guess that the forward extension of the hook in front of the handle would be important, as is the position of the hook's end in relation to the index finger.Sounds like a lovely experiment, with a real product at the end. Nice one!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Phil, The homemade one I saw pics of, looked like a corkscrew.(T shape) You know the sort with a wooden handle like a gimlet. The spike fits through the handle and cannot pull through it.The hook is on the end, bent over, is how it seems to have been made.

philhoney

Hi,
I'll have a look.
Thanks,
Phil

Do a search on the web for archery history or compound history there is a good site that has lots of things on but has a good section on release aids including the earliest types almost like thumb rings and how they worked plus lots of pictures

philhoney

Hi Geoff,
That's basically what I had in mind but with a bit more shape and comfort than a straight "T".
Phil

Hi Phil, The homemade one I saw pics of, looked like a corkscrew.(T shape) You know the sort with a wooden handle like a gimlet. The spike fits through the handle and cannot pull through it.The hook is on the end, bent over, is how it seems to have been made.

M

Moose

That is the site I found some very interesting ideas like the spike with a single hole for the finger, not sure I could draw a modern bow with one finger it might get ripped off

philhoney

All Done

Hi,
After having another look at the Archery History site I changed my mind about the design.

The top one was just a rough mockup to check for sizing. Good job I did as I found the hole was too big and pushed my fingers too far apart.
The middle one is a semi accurate mdf template and the bottom one is the finished release.
All thats left is a good polish tomorrow and then I can see if it works.
Phil

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Very nice! A huge step up from the ones I saw. They were made from a dowel with a hole through. A six inch nail went through the hole and the head stopped it passing straight through. Then the end was cut to length and bent over. Some filing and polishing to get the hook shape correct!

Nightimer

Phil,please be careful.
One mistake can entail a visit to the dentist !!!!
My first try at back tension nearly knocked my teeth out :)
Yes,you do see stars !!!

philhoney

Hi,
Well I tried it out tonight, not too bad, only banged my nose once. Yes Geoff, I did say something similar.
Now for the puzzle. For some reason my arrows were going about 6ins higher than with the wrist release. Shoot with the wrist release, all in the gold or level with it, shoot with the BT, 6ins high. I shot 6 ends alternating releases and it was the same every time. I don't think it's my anchor because I use a peep and kisser with the string just touching the side of my nose and it is the same with both releases.
Could it be something as simple as a cleaner release?
Phil
Phil,please be careful.
One mistake can entail a visit to the dentist !!!!
My first try at back tension nearly knocked my teeth out :)
Yes,you do see stars !!!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
With the hook being rigid, could it be that the d-loop slides DOWN to get off the end of the hook, causing the arrows to fly high. That could be happening so quickly at release that it goes undetected.With the wrist release, the hook is probably horizontal so no downwards movement at release.