do you just 'think' you like your release aid?

kato

been playing around with some releases and noticed that the distance from the grip [the curved bit you wrap your index /middle finger around] to the clasp can vary signficantly from release to release [third to half an inch] e.g. Choc lite v Chappy Boss or Evo2 v Loesch BT

I wonder how many of us arrive at a release mainly cos it optimises the DL
and how many are rejected cos we didn't allow/adjust for this difference when evaluating? i.e. less about how it feels/operates and more about how it feels at anchor?

Marcus26

yeah many don't choose their releases very well.
I stumbled across the correct trigger for me by accident. I was shooting the Carter Insatiable and was shooting around 290-300 at 90m. It broke the morning of a FITA comp at my club, so I ruched into the Urban locker and grabbed the only release I had in stock, a Just Cuz.
I had tried it before but the ring was in the way, but I held teh release slightly shallower. Shot a 318 that day and from then on my scores were much higher. It was a turning point in my archery.
Of course, this bothered me as I am not a fan of just 'I shoot better with this one' so after much playing I found that I hold steadier with a 3 finger release. It seems that it helps keep the line of force through teh release arm much better than a 4 finger release does.

After a few years I started slamming my hand into the ring on the release, so picked up a Target 3. Instantly shot my best 90m in years, but soon found that the release was difficult to get the trigger mech into the right spot.

I then started looking for a release that was a similar shape to the Just Cuz, but with a longer gap between the index finger and trigger. The Insatiable 3 was bought and it's been awesome.

I have also decided that the mechanisms are best when new, so will be buying a new one every year.

It is vital that the release is the correct size and shape and I firmly believe that 3 fingers are better than 4.

kato

It is vital that the release is the correct size and shape and I firmly believe that 3 fingers are better than 4.
I think they just need to be shot differently...much as I loved the evo, I found I was erratric with it...got a solid deep grip...tried to be 'solid all the way through the shot' etc like everyone says but still found myself 'hanging' on a regular basis

Found the Loesch much more intuitive to use ...got big hands so the safety sits right at the base of my thumb[you squeeze the disengage it] when I make a fist and the 4th finger is a useful reminder to pull straight back rather than rotate ...so it works beautifully for me...just squeeze while pulling and...SURPRISE

Went back to the Evo and experimented and found I could achieve the same effect...but only with a totally different execution...instead of solid grip and solid all the way through, what seems to work for me is once at anchor, transfer most pressure to index and middle fingers, then relax and...Bang

So they all work well in different ways I think and it's just a case of whether you persevere till you find out how to make it work for you or get promiscuous till you find true love...I suspect either is valid but many tmes we just settle on the one that gives us the best draw length...

But then, that applies to most things in life doesn't it?

Last edited:

Marcus26

The Evo stype releases are a different beast altogether. I don't like the concept myself so won't spend the time on one. However I have used them and they are very critical on the setup to get right.

A release is only as good as it is used, but that's beside the point really cause that should be an assumption in the thread, that the release will be used correctly.

simon m

Ironman
trouble is without being a staff shooter or shop owner most mortals have to rely on begging borrowing releases to see what suits them, surely it would benefit a retailer to keep a library of releases they sell for try outs?.

Not that i've ever asked in a shop, just tried a club mates truball 3tttr and liked it and bought one, i'd love to go somewhere and shoot three or four different types back to back for a few hours and make an informed decision.

Marcus26

I encourage that in my shop. I thought they all did that.
How can you buy a release without shooting it first?

trouble is without being a staff shooter or shop owner most mortals have to rely on begging borrowing releases to see what suits them, surely it would benefit a retailer to keep a library of releases they sell for try outs?.

Not that i've ever asked in a shop, just tried a club mates truball 3tttr and liked it and bought one, i'd love to go somewhere and shoot three or four different types back to back for a few hours and make an informed decision.

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I encourage that in my shop. I thought they all did that.
How can you buy a release without shooting it first?
I use to buy with out trying but I use to buy direct as a Carter sponsored shooter. Still Im quite capabe of adapting. Even so If I was to take up compound again I would defonatly try before I buy. There are so many different types its silly not to.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Very interesting thread. I have made four release aids recently. They don't all work that well for a variety of reasons, but more interesting to me is the solid reference I get with some and not others. This was accidental but it made me think that there is more to the release than just its action. What do others use as their method to achieve a solid reference? ( not the peep by the way- but the way the hand fits against the face)

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Like Marcus my journey was a bit 'stumbling' situation, trying other peoples releases and then discussing designs/shapes etc with GD.

I've found that not all shops are receptive to you trying out releases, though have found one that is, hence I have three to sell! Expensive journey :(

kato

and then discussing designs/shapes etc with GD.
(
you discussed your release aid with God?

saw on another site a survey on how many releases people got through and many people had been through more than a half dozen...sometimes ten or more...I've been shooting compound for only six months and have bought six...given these represent an expenditure that equates with a topline bow, I wonder whether more help could be given re helping people learn how to evaluate releases better...Geoff is absolutely right, there are many more issues than how the release mech works to consider ...what priorities do you guys apply when evaluating releases?

chryd

The other problem with release aids (and other "feel" equipment) is that I find you really need to try it for an extended period. You can try it in a shop and think "yeah, that feels nice", but after shooting it over many days discover that maybe it's not so good after all. It's a difficult and expensive task! :thumbsdow

ThePinkOne

I've just got a Stan SuperX. The fit in hand is superb (for me) and the trigger adjustment is way more than the Carters- plus the trigger action is crisp and clean. I have a much more fluid and comfortable shot with it.

Don't know how well it will last (robustness), time will tell.

P.

M

Moose

Tried loads

Tried loads from tru ball, carter, genesis and eventually replaced mt cascade 8 with the spott hogg saturday night special lovely trigger but the same ize as the cascade guess I got it right to start with just cost a fortune to realise this, I now somtimes shoot the 8 without the rope gives a better shot as the wall is more solid

komtox

I've found that not all shops are receptive to you trying out releases, though have found one that is, hence I have three to sell! Expensive journey :(
Most shops would be happy to let you try the goods, after all they want a sale, when I bought my release I went to Perris archery, Tony got out every release he had in stock for me to try..:cheerful:

Marcus26

I think the key is to be very very careful with what you don't like about your current release and what you do like and then buy something with it's strengths but not it's weaknesses.
Also be prepared that you may simply not hold as well with a release that appears to meet the requirements. For example I thought the Super X would be my perfect release, but within 12 shots knew it would not be, just couldn't aim with it.

I personally have had 11 releases in 20 years. But of those most were during a slump period and I couldn't get anything to work properly.

GeoffT

Ironman
I personally have had 11 releases in 20 years. But of those most were during a slump period and I couldn't get anything to work properly.
That is interesting Marcus. I've just come through a slump and been through about 7 releases. I am now shooting an Evolution+ and am nearly back to my old self.

I am getting the usual "wait until you get outside in the wind:raspberry " comments. I think I remember you being very positive about shooting BT releases in the wind. Did I remember correctly?

oncea

Hi Kato
In the end it all boils down to what is comfortably for you as long as the focal point between your eye and your peep sight is about 4 to 6 inch then that ok some people like to be able to take the strain at full draw with there wrist others like to hold it via there hands me i hold it using my wrist
Shaun

ArrowSocks

I've just got a Stan SuperX. The fit in hand is superb (for me) and the trigger adjustment is way more than the Carters- plus the trigger action is crisp and clean. I have a much more fluid and comfortable shot with it.

Don't know how well it will last (robustness), time will tell.

P.
Ditto, i tried a friends a few weeks ago, and got one picked up for me by a friend in the US :cheerful: Lovely piece of kit. Tried a couple of others out and this was deffo the nicest feeling for me. However i have bigger fish to fry than the effect different releases have on my shooting :yummy: :melodrama

Marcus26

I am getting the usual "wait until you get outside in the wind:raspberry " comments. I think I remember you being very positive about shooting BT releases in the wind. Did I remember correctly?
Yes you do.
My view is this. If you are likely to punch in the wind
, and punching is causing your target panic etc then you are better off using a back tension release and concentrating on your shot execution. I suspect most people panic when the wind comes up and do stupid things. Heck I did it on the weekend and shot 336 at 30m, 15 points down on the day before in similar conditions. Had I not paniced and stuck with my execution I would likely have shot 10 points higher. (however 2 days of 40?c heat will do that to you)
See in the wind, if I execute well I will score lower than normal, but when the wind stops I nail it.
If I start punching I may score higher for 1-2 ends, but when the wind stops my scores don't improve. I always end the day lower than I should have.