EVO+ tips?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You need bow scales or similar to find the bow's holding weight.
Then you need to adjust the release's breaking weight, using the bow scales again.The release needs to be set with a higher weight obviously. Some say 2 lbs higher than the bow.
From my experience with these types of release,I would say it is a good idea to get used to pulling that last part, with complete confidence.
Set the release on the light side and you MAY end up trying to pull "gently", so as not to activate the shot too soon. From gently it can progress to "slowly" then on to "with hesitation".
Having to pull quite strongly, seems to make me feel more in charge, so I pull with less fear/hesitation.Pulling those weights is about 20lbs depending on the bow obviously.Not much really. I think it is worth bearing in mind that if the "pull" feels like it is set too heavy, it is probably just a hesitant pull rather than an archer who isn't strong enough. After all, the peak weight was overcome easily enough; half that shouldn't bring on the shakes.

moley101

Ironman
if you're shooting on a cam1/2 type system, get someone to watch you as you pull into the stops, you don't want the cams to overflex the cable, use this as a guide to setting the weight rather than bow scales, I got the best, most consistent results using this method.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Yes I'll echo some of what geoffretired says. It all depends how you decide to go for the shot. If you put you shoulders firmly into line and intent to shoot with some gusto you'll need to wind it up a bit above holding weight to allow you to do this with confidence. If you want to be a bit wimpy prior to letting off the safety then you can set it a bit lighter. Either way you don't want it going off as soon as you release the safety. if you find yourself pulling like mad with beads of sweat forming on your brow and it won't go you've probably lost your draw force line - like those recurves who are shaking away and not getting through the clicker

I shoot a 44# bow with 65% let-off - so holding weight of 14.7# and have my release set at aboot 22-23#