First day experience with Carter Evolution

mizzat

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My evo arrived this morning. Had a go in the garden. Hit my botton lip with my fist on three seperate occasions. Everytime I take a tea break, I seem to forget about holding down the safety trigger. I'm off to a christening in the morning and will have to explain the strange appearance of my botton lip.

On a more positive note, the holding weight was spot on from the box. I don't have scales and have no idea what it is set at. My bow is set at 53 lb. I am not sure if they send all releases from the factory set to the same weights.

I'm not too sure if I will be using this as my usual everyday release aid. I went back to my usual thump release later in the day and was amazed how different the shot felt. I was actually shooting the thump release in the same way I shot the evo. The shots were a "suprise" even though I was activating a trigger. The sensation was fantastic. So even as a training aid, I am chuffed with it. I am not normally aware of activating the trigger but today it was more than just a subconscious event. I was certainly much more aware of the muscle tension building of my back and the push-pull feel between the bow arm and release arm.

My second though: I am sure this surprise release is not going to last forever. I think after some shooting, my muscle memory / brain / subconscious will very much memorise the amount of muscle tension required to set off the shot. I think the next evolution will need to be a BT release the varies the amount of tension required (within a set range).

jerryRTD

I see, so intstead of punching, with normal release, you think you might devolpe a bad habit of 'Yanking' to get the release to go off.

jerryRTD

I think you discovered a new and wonderful way to mess up a shot. Who knows they might even name it after you ' The mizzat problem' .Hows that? Straight up this could be a real problem there you are at full draw 'thinking when is this thing going to go off' the temptation to think I on the gold I'll give it a yank and it will go could be there.

Last edited:

mizzat

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Jerry, you think I have developed a release problem when I thought I have actually improved my technique. I promise I will immediately stop any punching or yanking as you have rightfully suggested. Perhaps after 14 years of shooting compound, you have finally unlockd the secret to my future world success.:duh:

Steve

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Mizzat, I shoot the loesch version of the evo. It works when you pull into the wall, like yours.
Having felt the surprise, using the Evo; does that mean you use your normal thumb release in a different way- with no surprise?
What you said about the "surprise not lasting", I found interesting. The feeling of surprise is very strong when it first happens. I think it can be very off putting and that makes some archers give it up as a way of activating the release. ( any sort).If you continue with it because you believe it to be the way ahead, there is no reason why the surprises can't last. One thing I think you will notice is that the surprise tends to be less of a shock after hundreds of arrows.
It remains unpredictable as the exact moment is never known in advance.

R

rgsphoto

I posted this in another thread..It may be of interest here too..

I assume you bought the Evolution as a remedy for Target Panic? I have tried just about every form of release aid there is. Every single BT release I have tried can be "fooled" or tricked into being punched. They do work...until the wind blows. Then they are a complete pain..only solution is to deal with TP properly and not try and buy your way out of it. I find the Carter Just Cuz to be the best release aid for me. Strangly enough I have no hint of TP now. I just grew out of it by learning how to use a thumb release aid properly. Took two years of hard work though.

Last edited:

mizzat

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
To my knowlege, I have never suffered from target panick. I bought the evo as (like a lot of comound archers) I am alway fascinated by new technology. That is the reason I have accumulated eight release aids and numerous long rods (as well as v bars) over the years. I did try an early Stan BT release aid many years ago. I could not get over getting the release angulation right and every shot was scary rather than a surprise.

I agree with Geoff, the shots today were sort of "controlled" surprise. I figured that after two days I can now feel to a certain extent when the shot is very close. Going back to my regular "fits me too" release, I seem to have acquired a better push-pull balance and a definite back tension focus point.

I am mindful that I am shooting short distance with no wind. How the shot will work with gusting wind is for next season to find out.

BTW, I also received my latst long rod (Doinker D2), Wow, that baby is fantastic. Maybe subject for another thread.

Many thanks to geoffretired and rgsphoto for your comments.

P

pyroarch57

Mizzat, it needs to be "fantastic" for eighty odd smackers!:cheerful:

jerryRTD

Mizzat I am sorry I did not explain my self, I did not mean to imply that you had a problem I meant that you had discovered the potential for it.

mizzat

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Jerry, no problems. I have indeed designated the evo as my new training aid.

Pyroarch57, I felt that the Doinker was worth it. The bow (Mathews Apex) shook voilently with each shot. No combination from my established collection of stabilisers worked (unless I made it so heavy it was affecting the relaxed aim). The Doinker was spot on first time. NO shaking, no vibration. Cost less than a course of physiotherapy for my well established tennis elbows.

Steve

P

pyroarch57

Steve, i was only pulling yer leg. All the write ups have been excellent. And it looks so good that -------- I WANT ONE!:hyper:

mizzat

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Quite right. I've never seen one before but someone on this forum mentioned it. I am imoressed so far.

Steve