Hair Trigger Wrist Release Aid.

jerryRTD

As it looks as if compound limited is going next year. I am in the market for a better release aid than the old Trufire Patriot I've got at the moment. I want a wrist release, and I want the lightest trigger with the shortest travel I can get. I want to be able to just very lightly squeeze after aiming and wonder where the arrow went, sort of , OH it's fired. Suggestions please.

Please DO NOT even mention the words 'back tension', I am not interested.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I used the Spigarelli wrist release which though I never had it set up with zero travel and hair light was adjustable so I'll assume that it might be suitable.

Very comfortable, shot mine for seven years.

Last edited by a moderator:

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I have shot a wrist release for a while and still have it but dont shoot it. The carter Two Shot, It has tension setting and can be set quite light, the travel is Zero or at least so small it is impossible to tell, I would recommend you try one of these if you are after a wrist release.

I am back on to a Hand Held Thumb Release now and would recommend you try one as well if you have not already.

jerryRTD

I have shot a wrist release for a while and still have it but dont shoot it. The carter Two Shot, It has tension setting and can be set quite light, the travel is Zero or at least so small it is impossible to tell, I would recommend you try one of these if you are after a wrist release.

I am back on to a Hand Held Thumb Release now and would recommend you try one as well if you have not already.
Paul I have spent far too long doing some thing with my fingers to get the arrow to go. I would also loose about 3/4 of an inch of draw and have to use BT, no thankyou.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Some of the wrist strap releases have the trigger acting directly against the opposite end of the jaw/hook. The lightness of the trigger is then partly affected by the holding weight of the bow; or the weight the archer is pulling at the point of release.The more tension on the jaw, the stiffer the trigger becomes.
Others have the trigger and the jaw, separated by another link in the system and the trigger lightness is almost the same, no matter what tension is applied to the jaw/hook.They tend to be more expensive. I believe the travel is easier to control with them as a result of the mechanics inside.

oldy

Just my take on this.
I did try the carter two shot for quite a while but found that the cocking lever was a problem as it tended to hit my jaw /face as it shot out,(I believe the Carter Quickie doesn't have this lever so will be better) also I found it quite heavy and chunky and personally found even set light that my one seemed to have a heavy spring in it so it still seemed to take a bit of effort to pull. Perhaps if I shot a 60lb bow I would not have found this a problem.The True Ball Short and Sweet with which Dietmar Trillus won the world champs with is ok if you like it's shortness also I found the swept back trigger version a bit uncomfortable . I had the Fletchmatic 3D for a long time, that goes very light I now have the Fletchunter which is very nice, although I have put some shrink tube on the trigger as my finger was slipping a bit. Knurling would have been more proffessional. Fletcher releases have no free travel and tend to go very light as well as not being too expensive.You can so I am told sometimes feel the action about to go off but I have not found that a problem and neither has my wife who has used a 3D for a good few years. The TrueBall Stinger and Loopmaster I found to be awful .
I expect someone will post that they love theirs so it is after all a personal thing. Good luck!!

Nightimer

Setting a release very light and with almost zero movement is a no no in my book.
You have to be able to apply some finger pressure on the trigger without it going off.
Then you can apply back tension to activate the release.
With a hair trigger you only have to place your finger on the trigger and off it goes without any other help.
The next step in your downward path is anticipation!!
Its a result of command shooting with a hair trigger.
You see people do that silly jerk as the trigger finger and brain get out of sync.
And the end result of all this is target panic.
Set the release so you have to work harder at executing the shot and forget the hair trigger(we are not in a gunfight).

Nightimer

jerryRTD

Setting a release very light and with almost zero movement is a no no in my book.
You have to be able to apply some finger pressure on the trigger without it going off.
Then you can apply back tension to activate the release.
With a hair trigger you only have to place your finger on the trigger and off it goes without any other help.
The next step in your downward path is anticipation!!
Its a result of command shooting with a hair trigger.
You see people do that silly jerk as the trigger finger and brain get out of sync.
And the end result of all this is target panic.
Set the release so you have to work harder at executing the shot and forget the hair trigger(we are not in a gunfight).

Nightimer
Read Post ONE.

For the last few years I have been shooting compound limited with a shallow hook and an active loose ( yes I open my fingers ). If you try to shoot any other way the string tries to remove the finger prints. THERE ARE NO BACK TENSION FINGERS. I have no problem shooting a hair trigger.The only reason I am chaging my release is the the one I have at the moment has a trigger travel that is too long. You may have problems with anticipation but I have learned to wait for that moment of max stabuility that I know will come and shooting at that point. There is no other way with limited compound, and I want to continue to shoot that way.

T101

Fletchmatic, been around for years and has micro adjustable trigger tension, current British Target Champ use one and i find it gives an excellent feel for your back tension. u can set the trigger to go off if u were to just breath on it, if u like. been using mine for 5 years the build quality is brilliant and i think they have life-time guarantee.

indeed i also shoot with the lightest trigger setting, but i have thought of increasing it a bit as its just a little tricky to rest my finger on it without it going off, which is a problem if its windy.

gazgf

I agree with T101, the fletchmatic is a very nice and sensitive (if you want it to be) little release.
Best with the leather buckle strap in my opinion.
I am same as you Jerry Tee, i can't get on with the "push/pull when will it go" type action, i like to know when the arrow will leave and most would probably call it snatching the release but it works for me!

jerryRTD

I don't think a fast release is a bad thing. I do not snatch and I don't think you do either. Snatching implies a grasping movment of the hand which will cause an uneven hand pressure on a hand held release at the point of release which is a bad thing. But then a wrist release can't be snatched in this way because it is not held.

The Meggy

Loesch Jack Rabbit?

Jerry, I just remembered that Sambow advertised a "Loesch Jack Rabbit" wrist release on Archer's Mart a while ago. It sounds pretty well made/designed - it uses interchangable springs to adjust trigger tension, unlike most wrist releases so might well be capable of a hair trigger setting. I had a pretty good look at it myself before deciding not for me, but it could be what you are looking for. Anyway, I think the ad is still there (maybe on page 2 or 3 by now) but maybe you could PM Sambow if interested.