Back Tension Hinge Releases

Wookster

Any good info about on shooting these? Ive got one and I like the feel of the shout with it but would like to reccie it a bit more.

english_archer

Ironman
The main things to learn about using one is to be patient with it and to have confidence that it will go if you keep applying the back tension :) If you google John Dudley he has a couple of good articles on his website about shooting hinges.

CPlater1

Be prepared to shoot a lot to get fully used to it. I've been told it takes thousands of arrows to get the shot sorted

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

fanio

Well, there is a reason why most world records are held by shooters shooting hinge releases, including all the "big" ones:
- FITA round - 1419/1440 (Peter Elzinga),
- 50m round - 715/720 (Chris Perkins)
- FITA18 round - 599/600 (Chris Perkins)

If you shoot with a clicker (very helpful for getting to a fairly consistent "starting point" for your shot execution), then set it fairly hot - you want it to click just as you come to anchor - and NOT (!!!!!!) after you've started aiming. Don't rotate it with your fingers. You have to really REALLY not care where the dot is - no stop / start / stop when it moves away from the middle, just aim and pull and trust your process. This is easier said than done but worth it when it works.

Wookster

The finger rotation is interesting do you relax the index finger or not lots of different opinions On the web I am looking to pull through the shot I don't want you cheat the release into firing? Does that make sense?

Marcus26

There are different views on this. The top 2 Aussie shooters use hinges and use them differently.
Mike Brosnan (710 50m shooter) pulls with his second and third fingers.
Karina Marshall (2nd at Vegas in 2012) relaxes her index finger while maintaining the cables on the cam stops.
The major key is to keep it moving and your hand relaxed.

Wookster

I find it interesting that there isn't a consensus on how to use it. John Dudley favours the pull through release, but a lot if other archers Wilde etc etc use them as you've said above. But I can't find any this is how articles anywhere.

Search on archey talk for hinge shooting / pagent and you will find someone who will give you a very good guide on how to shoot a hinge , be very carful though , I myself can't use any other type of release now !

M

Moose

GRIV has a good video on the hinge on his website archerylearningcentre and is an index finger relaxer

Rio Wilde increase his tension and hence causes it to actuate using the other method (see the tru ball interview from Vegas last year)

posted by moose on the loose

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If there was a single best way then all the top shooters would use that method.
As English_Archer says, patience is the key word. Patience with each shot; not just being patient over the months of learning.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I like the end part where they explain about the slope of the release in comparison to the direction of the draw force. So, obvious AFTER someone tells you about it.

CPlater1

After Telford I am going to try switching to my BT gold. I've been trying on and off, but haven't had the time to get used to it properly. That video is informative, as well as John Dudley's articles.