NAPP IMA Release - anyone seen it yet?

Watch_Man

I saw the NAPP IMA release in the new issue of Inside Archery and just wondered if anyone had seen one at first hand or of any UK dealer selling one. They are US$49.99 from Lancaster so I guess they would be the same in ?

The release is unusual in that it can be used as a back tension release or a training aid to practice a safe draw without the risk of dry firing. It actully looks more like a knuckle duster than a release aid.

My only concern is that it looks quite thin to pull back a lot of weight into the groove of the fingers.

An intriguing design !

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Maybe you hook the string with the hoof pick for a safe draw :boggled:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The safe draw capability I can see. The release aid aspect?? No idea.
It is a one piece design, so I assume no moving parts. The hook above the middle hole is the place for the d-loop, possibly.....then my mind goes blank and I see missfires.:lookaroun

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
It's almost an exact copy of the first release I saw in ooooh, 1973?, a "knuckle duster", with a little aluminium ledge for the string. As you push/pull with back tension, the motion tilts the little ledge and the string slips off.

Good for premature release too, you get a face full of knuckle duster.

Next they will bring back the nylon loops release on a concho.

The Meggy

I did notice this one while browsing on Lancaster's site a few weeks ago. It does indeed look something like the early "ledge" release aids. As a tool for pulling back the bow without risk of dry fire it would be useful, but seems a bit expensive. As a release aid, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use one instead of an evolution say, or a good quality modern "tilt" type release like a Stanislowski or Carter - surely these do the same thing but better? Someone will probably shoot a 1400 with one of these sometime soon to prove me wrong, and then they'll be selling loads!

The Meggy

Well OK, not impossible if the D loop snaps but that applies to any release. I think the idea is that if you use the appropriate hook on this devise, then the string/D loop cannot slip off, so the dry fire not very likely. With a normal release you might touch the trigger by accident with not hilarious consequences... And of course we should all periodically check the D loop to make sure it's in good condition which should help minimize the risk of it snapping.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Phil, do the fingers go into the holes, so from the photo, the thumb would be on the left hand end of the body, on the spike?
The hook in front doesn't look capable of holding back a string but I am probably "seeing" it from the wrong point of view.

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
Phil, do the fingers go into the holes, so from the photo, the thumb would be on the left hand end of the body, on the spike?
The hook in front doesn't look capable of holding back a string but I am probably "seeing" it from the wrong point of view.
It barely holds the string, the slightest mis-alignment on drawing & you lose your front teeth.

I would only ever use one of these again with a gum shield, cricketers helmet with face guard.................. and incontinence pads

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Ahhh, it goes in the teeth!! The holes are for Polos then, yes?
I thought the holes looked a bit small for fingers.You'd never sign your scorecard if they got stuck in there.

Fugue

Surely the name is wrong. A release is designed to let the string go. Therefore this should be called a NAPP IMA Hold.:raspberry

Personally I find my release does the same job as long as I don't press the trigger thing, and I already have it too.:melodrama