No travel triggers; springs and magnets.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
With no travel triggers, there is still some movement,yes? But the movement is so small that it has little impact on the spring that is there to stiffen it. Compressing a stiff spring is difficult, but compressing it by next to nothing requires little effort.
If the resistance was created by a magnet, as in some resistance releases, then the amount of movement becomes irrelevant.The resistance is there because the parts do not want to separate from the magnet.The resistance is there all the time as you press the trigger. Once the release is activated, the rest of the travel, and any resistance, is of no consequence.
If I am correct, I am considering replacing a spring with a magnet.

jimlee

Geoff, there was a magnetic thumb trigger release aid made by the same company that makes Genesis peep sights, I think they've been discontinued now. I tried using one for a while but couldn't get on with the handle shape at the time, you're right in supposing that there is virtually no trigger travel until the magnet lets go and then the holding force drops to practically nothing. If you want to have a look at the release PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers, Jim.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers JIm,
I have a Carter Attraction which is partly magnetic on the trigger.I think it is there to hold the trigger mechanism in the right position when using the release in " resistance" mode.Once set up for thumb trigger mode, it needs a spring to make it stiffer. I just find that when testing my release, the trigger feels stiff. But, that is because I press and press, beyond the firing position, so a lot of movement gives a lot of resistance. When shooting for real, the pressure required to activate it is very slight, despite using the stiffest spring.
Also, magnates give max resistance before any movement, then they weaken ,which is no real problem.
Thanks for the offer, I will PM my e-mail in a second or seven.

Pavlo

In practice most good triggers can be set to zero travel. They use enough load on the sears that as you squeeze nothing moves until the friction is overcome then it moves and releases in one motion, the (static) friction drops onces it's on the move. This is then aided by a spring load to give more weight to the trigger, the problem with using a spring to weight up the trigger, is that the force is generally constant or increasing with increased movement.

The magnetic based releases rely on the fact that the load on the magnetic drops off very quickly (inverse square) as the distance increases, so the added resistance the magnet provides (in addition to the sear friction) goes once the trigger moves, so it works with the static friction within the sear to give the illusion of no travel, once it moves it does so very quickly due to low friction and a rapid loss of trigger wieght, and it all appears to be a single event.

Some of the carter releases use magnets instead of springs to give the added trigger weight, and you can use 1, 2 or 3 magnets to adjust the trigger load.

You should be able to pick up some small rare earth magnets, but you will have to reverse the action of the trigger part of the mechanism compared to a spring system. I would be very interested to see how you get on if you do decide to give it a go.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Pavlo, I have some neodymium magnets. I just need to see where I can put them to do the right job. On the opposite side of the lever that presses against the spring, is my first port of call. May have to move it though to get the leverage right.I think my current release aid is the only one for which I don't have photos of the insides.Hey ho!

Neo

I have a carter whisper which is fully magnetic with 3 magnets you can remove to alter the tension.

Great release!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Neo,can you tell that it is magnetic as opposed to springs? I would expect some difference to be felt in the way it activates. Have you tried pulling it against a cord rather than with the bow?Any differences might be more obvious when the mind is not so intent on shooting.

Neo

Neo,can you tell that it is magnetic as opposed to springs? I would expect some difference to be felt in the way it activates. Have you tried pulling it against a cord rather than with the bow?Any differences might be more obvious when the mind is not so intent on shooting.
I used to shoot a carter just cuz, in comparison I have set this trigger much heavier. But without the magets in its super light. It's deadly quiet for a release aid, has never failed. Has an open jaw so really easy to attach to d loop.

The added 4th finger rest is also great as I was always unsure of where to put my pinky.

Deffo the best release aid for me and one of the best I've tried.

Neo

Mmmmmmm very interesting, cheers.
I will try and get those measurements for you. The jaw is an open jaw and swings forwards out of the way and into a cut out in the release.

As for the distance of the jaw to your fingers, its much closer than the Just Cuz. If your index finger is in the hole on the middle part of your finger the hook is right next to your index finger nuckle. I found it slightle too close to start with as you could feel your middle finger touching it. Had to learn to space my fingers a fraction so I got no contact.

But yeah a great release. Has helped me get a 592 portsmouth and a stack of 589s. Never fails.