Release aid comparisons

h20vrrq

Since I started shooting compound bows way back in 1990 I have always used a wrist release aid as I just found them easier. After quite a few years away from archery I got back into it just over 2 years ago and naturally went back to shooting with a wrist release aid. I tried (and bought) several and my scores were ok. During the last indoor season I borrowed a Cater Target 4 and gave it a go for a few weeks. Maybe it was 'new kit syndrome' but my scores started to increase. The target 4 wasnt that comfortable for me, so I ended up buying a 2nd hand Just B-Cuz. Much more comfortable in the hand and scores went up even more.

Anyway tonight I though I would get out my favourite wrist relaease aids (Carter Two-Shot, Carter Backstrap & Scott Silverhorn) and compare them to the Just B-Cuz. I shot 18 arrows with each release in turn, then did it all over again, so 36 arrows in total for each release.

The Two-Shot is a great release aid, each shot is crisp and quiet & difficult to punch. The Backstrap was quiet and smooth and each shot felt good. The Silverhorn was the smoothest of the lot by far and each shot was very quiet. The JBC on the other hand, felt awkward and not smooth at all, each shot was noticably a lot harsher, maybe this is down to me not using the release correctly.

The scores are as follows (60yds @ 80cm face): -

Two-Shot: 53 54 55 54 54 54 = 324
Backstrap: 57 54 52 55 53 55 = 326
Silverhorn: 54 55 54 55 55 55 = 328
Just BCuz: 54 52 51 54 54 55 = 320

I was suprised at the results, I thought I was doing well with the JBC and it would come out on top, wrong. OK, hardly an exhastive test but maybe I need to go back to wrist release aids or is it just a case of finding the correct release and then learn how to shoot it properly? Got a FITA over the bank holiday weekend, do I stay with the JBC or go back to a wrist release aid? Hmmm, decision time.

I should add, I stopped using the Backstrap as I couldnt get to grips wth it in breezy conditions, and the Silverhorn because the trigger is too close to the D-loop to be really comfortable.

Adam

In December I swapped from using a Target 4 (having used either a Target 3 or 4 for nine years) to a Tru Ball Short 'n Sweet wrist release. Indoors, I absolutely loved the wrist release and shot some of the best indoor rounds I've ever shot. Took a while to adjust, but as the season went on I liked it more and more.

Went outdoors in April and didn't get along with the wrist release at all. Fine when the weather was calm, but given a windy day (like the outdoor selection shoot) I struggled to hit the middle. I suspect - and this certainly doesn't apply to everyone - that my anchor was just not as solid as it used to be with a hand-held release, and my scores suffered badly as a result.

Three weeks ago I went back to my Target 4 and found an instant improvement. I would point out though, that it's been necessary to do some group tuning following the change as the two releases definitely require slightly different set ups.

I suspect that I'll go back to the wrist release for the next indoor season.

Adam

T101

pretty sure Dietmar Trillus uses the truball S an S also, so it can't be bad. I definately notice a snappier release with a hand held over a wrist release, but i do shoot with a rope on my fletchmatic.

h20vrrq, i think u should shoot with one of your wrist releases for now, purely as you are scoring better with it, probably as its more familiar and comfortable. maybe u could try the trueball in practise.

i personally find i get a better feel for the shot with a wrist release. just feel disconnected with a hand held. not enjoyable. don't have any anchor problems in wind like you though.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Some fascinating comments coming through in this thread.
I had used S&S for years before I changed to hand held.
I only changed because of the work I was doing to sort out my target panic.
( changing from hitting the trigger to slowly squeezing it was Ok, but I thought a different type might just make the change easier)
I also feel there is a different feeling during the powers stroke, as if the hand held puts zig zags into a line that should be straight.( can't really explain the feeling better than that.)

Dilligaf

I have recently gone from a Carter Two Shot to a LOESCH jackrabbit and found the jack rabbit was slightly better release for me(PB went from 1344 FITA90m with the two shot to a 1376), a little crisper but a no travel trigger like the two shot so hard to punch.

I shoot wrist strap release's well in good weather but struggle in wind so i have dragged out an old Carter Big Kid 3 finger and have found that my groups have improved and i am more consistent in a light breeze (haven't had to shoot in strong winds yet), i have also found i am a little calmer on the target and the pin floats more easily in the gold with the wrist release i generally take trips out into the red.

h20vrrq

I forgot I had a Tru Ball Short 'n Sweet, it got 'retired' after failing badly at an indoor shoot a couple of years ago. It got fixed but just didnt feel the same so into the old kit box it went.

I fished it out this evening at thought I would give it a go. Not bad...

53 55 54 58 56 57 = 333. Same distance as before 60yds @ 80cm face.

As I hadnt shot it in ages, I cant remember how it used to feel, but shooting it this evening it was great. Smooth, quiet and easy to use. Think I might be using this one at the FITA on Monday :scratchch:rotfl:

jerryRTD

I believe that you can only 'punch' if you have some thing to punch against. I am happiest with a cheap True Fire Patriot. Mine is set very light I really don't know whether it is smooth or not 'cos it goes off almost as soon as I put any pressure at all on the trigger. After that trigger flies back so fast that my finger can't stay on it. In other words it's like Ali, you can't lay a glove on it let alone punch it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
h20vrrq,
I have just dug out my short n' sweet tonight, coincidence or what?
As you say, smooth and simple.
One thing with it, is the return spring that lies under the trigger, which pushes it forwards when set for drawing the string. It is a very light spring and if anything builds up round that area, it can fail to push the trigger properly against the jaw, causing the release to go off on its own!!! I have fitted a much stronger one and that also makes the trigger stiffer to operate; a good thing, I am told.

Dilligaf

I believe that you can only 'punch' if you have some thing to punch against. I am happiest with a cheap True Fire Patriot. Mine is set very light I really don't know whether it is smooth or not 'cos it goes off almost as soon as I put any pressure at all on the trigger. After that trigger flies back so fast that my finger can't stay on it. In other words it's like Ali, you can't lay a glove on it let alone punch it.
Light triggers tend to cause punching, punching causes target panic

Punching is a bad word for those with target panic it is more the anticipation of the shot / the flincher's. If your trigger is set feather light you will tend to hold your finger off the trigger until your sight moves onto the spot then bag its off. You are seeing the target but your mind is concentrating on the trigger. Most sufferers change to a back tension release and thus are able to concentrate on the target and the release becomes automatic.
With the two shot or Jackrabbit you can put pressure on the trigger and with the slightest movement it is activated. Wrist strap release aids tend to adjust trigger travel to make the release stronger or weaker with the two Shot and Jackrabbit the tension is adjusted but the trigger travel is unchanged.

h20vrrq

h20vrrq,
I have just dug out my short n' sweet tonight, coincidence or what?
As you say, smooth and simple.
One thing with it, is the return spring that lies under the trigger, which pushes it forwards when set for drawing the string. It is a very light spring and if anything builds up round that area, it can fail to push the trigger properly against the jaw, causing the release to go off on its own!!! I have fitted a much stronger one and that also makes the trigger stiffer to operate; a good thing, I am told.
I know what you mean, I've had a few shots go off by themselves because it wasnt set quite right. I now push the jaw with my finger before nocking an arrow, might not be a fool proof check but not had a problem since. I dont set the trigger too light, just enough so I can place my finger on it, apply some pressure without it going off.

jerryRTD

Light triggers tend to cause punching, punching causes target panic

Punching is a bad word for those with target panic it is more the anticipation of the shot / the flincher's. If your trigger is set feather light you will tend to hold your finger off the trigger until your sight moves onto the spot then bag its off. You are seeing the target but your mind is concentrating on the trigger. Most sufferers change to a back tension release and thus are able to concentrate on the target and the release becomes automatic.
With the two shot or Jackrabbit you can put pressure on the trigger and with the slightest movement it is activated. Wrist strap release aids tend to adjust trigger travel to make the release stronger or weaker with the two Shot and Jackrabbit the tension is adjusted but the trigger travel is unchanged.
The thing I have learned is to forget the trigger. Concentrate on holding the center. It's easy to blame a light trigger for your own anticipation.As long as there is enough resistance to allow you to touch the trigger, the rest is up to you.