release aid trigger mods

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Since I bought a Chocolate Lite,( my first thumb trigger release) I have been having trouble getting the trigger where I want it. I made some extensions that were custom shaped.The early ones addressed the problem of getting the trigger in the right position for my thumb, but failed to get the other two factors I needed. I wanted no movement and a natural movement of the thumb working in the same direction as the trigger itself.Rigid extensions acted like levers and magnfied the trigger movement;bad!Most of the extensions also meant the thumb wanted to move one way and the trigger wanted to move in a different direction;also bad!
The end of the trigger bar on the C Lite is about 2cm from its own pivot point, and any extra makes it so long that the movement can be felt before the release activates.
So I tried a pivoting extension. I added some metal to the trigger bar so that I could pivot my extension very close to the trigger's own pivot point. Because the extension is not a rigid fit but a pivoting one,it is possible to have my thumb in a natural position, working in a natural direction that matches the trigger and with no noticeable movement.:cheerful:
I now feel that I am in control of the trigger;I can add pressure till it goes as a surprise. Previously, it had felt as though the harder I pressed, the stiffer the spring became.:thumbsdow
Has anyone else had similar dfficulties;or tried their own mods?

bruno

I have considered altering the thumb barrel of my chocolate addiction after seeing the latest Stan releases.It sounds like you have gone one step further.Any chance of seeing some photo's?

jmad

I had very similar problems with my Choc release. I ended up with a piece of alu tube over the release arm. (very badly described) I would be interested in seeing a picture of what you ended up with.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I can get some photos out, but I think they will not show the workings very clearly. I will do some work on some diagrams and get those posted as soon as possible

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I
[/IMG]

What I was trying to do was put some metal onto the trigger bar close to its pivot point and in a position that was moving left to right as seen in the diagram.
The first piece of metal was just my way of putting metal onto the trigger bar in the desired place. The second piece is there to allow my thumb to reach the new metal. It pivots so that the extension does not become a lever and magnify the movement.

Last edited:

ThePinkOne

I have considered altering the thumb barrel of my chocolate addiction after seeing the latest Stan releases.It sounds like you have gone one step further.Any chance of seeing some photo's?
The Stan trigger adjustability works well for me, it's simple but effective, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to modify the Carter to have the same range of movement....

P.

LineCutter

Slightly off topic

In my field shooting darkside I tried putting the trigger of a thumb release inside my palm, at the very base of the thumb. Obviously this needs to be set to "hair trigger" movement for the release, which is more like a hand squeeze than a thumb movement.
Good for surprises!

ThePinkOne

In my field shooting darkside I tried putting the trigger of a thumb release inside my palm, at the very base of the thumb. Obviously this needs to be set to "hair trigger" movement for the release, which is more like a hand squeeze than a thumb movement.
Good for surprises!
Almost.

What you describe in terms of placement of trigger in hand is pretty standard for shooting a trigger release off the back. However, the trigger can be set quite "heavy" provided the travel is set correctly- I shoot a heavy trigger but no travel. That way no risk of touching the trigger and setting off release when drawing up but you still get a nice crisp release without punching at full draw.

P.

LineCutter

What you describe in terms of placement of trigger in hand is pretty standard for shooting a trigger release off the back.
Interesting. I'm the only one hereabouts to use that configuration, so I've not come across it before.

As a recurve archer I was after a release similar to coming through a clicker, but with a recurve style open hand there is no way I can get pressure on my thumb simply by moving my elbow. That said the Saker style tab is also pretty useless for me - I have no contact with the rear portion that's supposed to stop the curving of the palm.
Maybe I need one of those magnetically coupled releases that break at a few lbs over the holding weight. Or possibly I just need to learn a bit more about the darkside, in the dark woods.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Maybe I need one of those magnetically coupled releases that break at a few lbs over the holding weight.
Or a Loesch or Evo by Carter. They are mechanical but reak a couple of pounds over holding weight.

LineCutter

I'm half regretting this mad idea to shoot compound for field ;)
Was playing with it indoors tonight (my real arrows are on a diet) & ended up reverting to a trigger style thumb action, so not really modded at all.