Setting Poundage On New Release Aid

BOSE

Hi Folks.

Just a little question for the technically minded out there, who use A Back Tension Release Aid.

I shoot A Hoyt Selena, set @ lb 40 draw weight, now I have ordered A New Evolution Release from Carter, and asked them to set it at lb40 let off weight, which they have agreed, to kindly do,

Has I have a habit of breaking things, when I fiddle, has Iv'e just done with A New Stan Super X Quattro Release, Trigger Release, hence the Carter purchase.

Is this correct for a smooth release, or should it be set at, a bit more poundage, or a bit less, has I have never shot a back tension release, before, just trigger ones.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Cheers.
Tony.

Bald Eagle

If you don't want to keep bashing your chin, set it a bit heavier! What have you done with the Quatro? Donations gladly received!!!

BOSE

Sorry Bald Eagle It's Already Been Claimed

Sorry it's all ready been claimed, done deal, so what poundage, would you suggest, how much heavier?
Cheers.
Tony.

F

flamingbladerider

Steve, you need to settle down with your new bow before you start changing releases. Theres no magical "i'll hit the gold every time" equipment. Theres only you and practice
Richie

Bald Eagle

I think it's trial and error with back tension, a few smacks in the gob before you settle on the right setting, they are not the be all and end all of releases, all release aids should be treated as back tension, i.e. muscle memory takes over.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Bose, Have I got this right, the Evolution is a back tension release like the Loesch but prettier to look at?
The idea is, you draw over peak weight and on to full draw and reach the holding wieght of the bow.The holding weight is much less than 40lbs, let's say 16lbs. The release has a safety trigger that is not touched until after you reach full draw. When you press the safety trigger it allows the inner mechanism to take the strain of the holding weight. For good reasons, the release is set to two or three pounds heavier than the bow's holding weight. If Carter have done what you want, they will measure the holding weight of a 40lb Selena(assume 16 lb for now) They will then hook the release onto the scales, press the safety trigger and pull to see what poundage it holds before it activates. They would adjust it to 18lbs I imagine. So when you draw your bow and reach full draw, the safety prevents any pre- release. Press the safety and the release holds the 16lbs. Pull a little harder and when you reach 18lbs;Bingo!off it goes.
What you may find is that you find pulling the extra 2lbs feels like ten. If you find the release activates with only a slight extra pull, it would be worth re-setting it to a stiffer setting. Too sensitive can be very upsetting.
A glass of whisky has made my keyboard malfunction so if I've not said things too clearly, let me know and I'll put things right when the keys are sober.);:faint:

F

flamingbladerider

All this about the " being smacked in the gob " back tension release is bull.

Heres questions:-
1) Do recurve draw to the centre of their nose ?
2) Do compounders draw to their nose ?

The answer NO

They both draw to the side of the face or under jaw to anchor. So its impossible to be hit in the "gob" whatever discipline you use. Yes i know its all about compound, but to every dark side we have the light.

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
flamingbladerider said:

The answer NO

They both draw to the side of the face or under jaw to anchor. So its impossible to be hit in the "gob" whatever discipline you use. Yes i know its all about compound, but to every dark side we have the light.
I don't really understand your logic but I have seen people hit themselves in the mouth as a BT activated and also when a D loop fails, whilst drawing the bow.

Surely the differance between recurve and compound is that with a rcurve you draw holding the string with your fingers, so unless your hand falls off your wrist you should be pretty safe?

Stace

Your whole hand doesn't need to fall off. I've seen the same thing happen when people's fingers fall off. :cheerful:

Marcus26

flamingbladerider said:
impossible huh? And you have been shooting how long?

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
flamingbladerider said:
Its possible with a recurve certainly (I've done it), and I've seen compounds do it, tho have yet to experience it.

With a recurve... (that I've experienced)
If the string slips off your fingers near full draw..... you get a face full of tab....
If you're using a formaster and do it wrong..... you get a face full of tab....
If you shoot off someone elses clicker..... you get a face full of tab....

And when shooting a cavalier they work quite efficiently as knuckle dusters to make the lesson stick.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Bose, a correction to my earlier post is required. From your PM, it seems the safety on the evolution is held until you reach full draw then it is released to allow the inner workings to take the strain. That's the opposite to the Loesch, but all the rest seems much the same. The main point about setting the release is that it needs to be set for two pounds or so stiffer than the bow's holding weight. If it is set too close to the bow's holding weight, the release can go off as soon as the safety is released. When you draw to the valley, it is not always possible to reach the exact same spot so the holding weight (When you release the safety) may be slightly different shot to shot. The release needs to be set so that it is always higher than the highest holding weight you are likely to produce. You need to be 100% confident that when you release the safety, it will NOT trigger a shot.
What I found with mine was that the extra pull required to activate the release, felt quite high to begin with. I seemed to be struggling to get the release to "GO".
I lowered the setting to get closer to the holding weight over a period of weeks. Eventually I succeeded in getting it so things were nice and easy and not much extra pull was needed. Later, this proved to be a mistake. With so little pulling at the end, I was getting poor groups;the follow through was getting lost/lazy. I increased the setting and things started to get better very quickly.
When the setting is adjusted, the internal spring is being squeezed, more or less, depending on the direction. That is part of the design and should not cause damage. Don't be afraid to re-set yours just because of the problems you had with the Stan. Enjoy! It should be a great release to use.

Zanda

mmmm

flamingbladerider said:

The answer NO

so I presume because I do draw to my nose, following your logic I am doing it all wrong huh, and the guy at my club who smacked himself in the gob, and split both lips when the d loop failed, the reason for that ??

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
Zanda said:
so I presume because I do draw to my nose, following your logic I am doing it all wrong huh, and the guy at my club who smacked himself in the gob, and split both lips when the d loop failed, the reason for that ??
OUCH!!! :fight:

stever

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
flamingbladerider said:

The answer NO

Sorry mate, but I draw to the centre of the nose/chin, always have on recurve and do so on compound. I find its the best ref point I can get. Since shooting compound been smacked in the gob many times, moral is keep away from triger untill at full draw.

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
flamingbladerider said:

The answer NO

I have smacked myself in the nose when my old release let go under peak draw weight.

F

flamingbladerider

I still cant see how . You draw to the centre of you nose. Your hand would be inside your mouth or back of the throat. Now the string may be anchored ( referenced) to your nose but your hand is to the side of the face.

Stace

flamingbladerider said:
I still cant see how . You draw to the centre of you nose. Your hand would be inside your mouth or back of the throat. Now the string may be anchored ( referenced) to your nose but your hand is to the side of the face.
I think they mean copping for an unfortunate whilst drawing not whilst anchoring or releasing.