STAN SX 2 release Aid - Your thoughts...

Hobo

Anyone owned or used a Stan SX2 3 finger medium (the green one), they look really well made, and I like the thought of being able to position the trigger exactly the way I like it. The Stan shoot-off looks really good also but I think the grip position is a little too swept back for me - the SX2 looks like it might suit me better the way I like to hold a release aid ? I like to hold most of the load on my middle and ring finger, with less pressure on my index finger, which means with a swept back grip handle, as I relax my draw hand and feel the load shift to the top 2 fingers, the release aid wants to keep rotating in my hand, and then I can't get that relaxed draw hand whilst keeping a secure grip on it.

I currenly shoot an old TRUball ST-3, I love the straight handle but the build quality is not so good and the grub screws often come loose, and I can't position the trigger quite where I want it.

Also, can you use the SX2 with a D-loop? All the pics I've seen of them the SX2 has a rope attached to it

Any thoughts and opinions always welcome :scratchch

cheers
Chris

murfz51

Haven't shot an SX2, but I've had a Stan Element since December, which I love so much I just had to go get a Stan Shoot-off, which is pretty much the same chassis but thumb trigger instead of pull through. I now train with the Element, and use the Shoot-off for 'real'. Both are 3 finger medium.
As mentioned already, the build quality is utterly superb, and I love the adjustability of their thumb triggers and not having to swap springs to play about with the tension. Shoot off is a very crisp release. Carters are v good, but Stans are just that bit better IMO. Hopefully there's a retailer near you that can get in both the SX2 and Shoot-off so you can compare.

EDIT - re d-loop if I remember correctly, you can use both a d-loop and a rope on the SX2, but only d-loop on the Shoot-off.

Flying Whale

Had an SX-2 as my first thumb release. I really liked it. It feels like a really well made piece of kit. I would have to say that it felt better made then my current Carter, though I can't say whether that is the case or not. Neither have ever failed on me.

Why don't I have it now? Because I feel much more in control with a 4 finger release, and the swept back handle seems to suit my hand better. At the time I switched don't think the shoot-off had been released so I ended up on a Carter Insatiable.

See if you can borrow one from someone. I think you will like it. I actually loaned mine out to someone on AIUK and they decided they liked it and bought it off me.

Marcus26

3 of my shooting staff used ShootOffs at Vegas this year. All use 3 finger models.
Awesome release. Really adjustable, consistant and the spring tension adjustment is brilliant.

AlanKD

Ive heard these are good, maybe better than Carter. I'm an evolution man myself, best thing i ever bought for my shooting. Although i have a sensation and revolution too. But if Stan bring out a dual model, back tension and trigger in one i may go for it. I'm just not sure about the Carter Attraction, from what i've heard its a bit fiddly and very few people use it despite the advantage.

I find the Evo and sensation feel a bit different in the hand and produce a slightly different shot, despite they were made to match each other!