suitable release for small handed (youngster) beginner

sambow

Can anyone suggest a suitable hand release for a youngster that doesn't require a second mortgage. My lad has just gone over to compound, is currently shooting with fingers but they are getting pinched.

He has tried the Trufire Stalker, which he got on with, but it wasn't comfortable in his hands because the "adult" finger scallops didn't fit his fingers. He also tried a wrist release, but that hurt his wrist too much and I have ruled out that route.

I have looked on a lot of websites now, but there doesn't seam to be many releases that look small enough for a youngster. What do all the young compound archers out there tend to use?

Albedo

I have a Carter 3D2000 which has no finger grooves and is smaller in both dimensions than most other releases. It's very comfortable but doesn't have the ITS system of the other Carter releases.

http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/3d200.htm

It's around ?80 from altservices (whoops, just checked and it has gone up to ?105 for some reason!).

If you're interested I might be selling mine soon ( I have a Chocolate Addiction on the way!!)

ThePinkOne

The Carter "fits Me Too" is also good for smaller hands.

Best thing though is to tak your son to a dealer with bow and try a few. If he's going to use it a lot, maybe it's worth taking the time and spending a little more to get just what he wants, and reliable so it won't fail on him.

There's nothing worse for a youngster than the disapoojntment of a critical bit of kit that fails at an important mooment, maybe he could save up a bit of money too and it be a bit of a birthday present or something? The release aid really is an area where it's worth spending the cash on compound. Hence the importance of spending time at the dealer to find the right one- one worth having doesn't come cheap.

No doubt someone on here more familiar with your neck of the woods thanI am will be able to recommend a decent place to to and try out.

DarkHorse.

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
small hand release

hi both my boys are now shooting compound 1 with a carter big kid, fits him fine and just bought the younger boy age 10 a spig thumb release from aardvark for under ?40. if you look on ebay 2 of this type have just gone up for sale .
hope this helps

sambow

Re the Spigarelli Thumb Release. Ironically I have just been looking at these, but I am a little confused re their operation.

It appears that a D-Loop is not used and instead a small peice of rope attached to the release is wrapped around the bowstring and then hooked onto a clamp?

But how does this work in practice, becuase one hand is holding the bow, the other hand has the release in its palm??? How do you physically get the little string around the bowstring with one finger and does it stay on the string long enough for for you to apply tension to keep it on the hook. :worried:

I am sure its possible and there must be loads of people that use this type or release, but it sounds very fiddly to my imagination.

If a single brass knock is used, would it loop above the brass knock or below the arrow knock (if you know what I mean) if the latter does it cause knocks to get squeezed against the brass knock and damaged.

Sorry if these are stupid questions! just not seen one in use before.

Hoyt Hooligan

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Re the Spigarelli Thumb Release. Ironically I have just been looking at these, but I am a little confused re their operation.

It appears that a D-Loop is not used and instead a small peice of rope attached to the release is wrapped around the bowstring and then hooked onto a clamp?

But how does this work in practice, becuase one hand is holding the bow, the other hand has the release in its palm??? How do you physically get the little string around the bowstring with one finger and does it stay on the string long enough for for you to apply tension to keep it on the hook. :worried:

I am sure its possible and there must be loads of people that use this type or release, but it sounds very fiddly to my imagination.

If a single brass knock is used, would it loop above the brass knock or below the arrow knock (if you know what I mean) if the latter does it cause knocks to get squeezed against the brass knock and damaged.

Sorry if these are stupid questions! just not seen one in use before.
the rope can be used i have never tried this but a guy at our club dose (as he needed the extra draw length) with out a problem, or you can take it off and go direct on to the d oop this is how we use it . the thumb position is very adjusable wich is great for small hands .

pwiles1968

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I started with a spig thumb with rope and still have it somewhere, you can use them with 'D' Loop, it does involve a little dexterity to use but you soon get used to it.

Where abouts in Warwickshire are you, I shoot in Lutterworth, if you fancied coming over some time you I could lend it to you for your son to try if you want. Guests are always welcome at our sessions.

Adam

My son used a Fits Me until he out-grew it. If you want it, I'd be happy to sell. pm me if you're interested.

Adam