Carter Where can I get my release aid maintained

leg_iron

I bought a second hand chocolate addiction release aid from my local archery shop about 18 months ago. I don't feel confident to attempt any maintenance myself. Apart from contacting Carter & asking them to have a look at the release aid, does anyone know if there is an alternative?

english_archer

Ironman
If it is working fine just leave it alone they don't really need maintenance as such. I have a 7 year old Carter release still working flawlessly never been touched :)

Shirt

Alternatively, if you want it feeling really really crisp and new, call Carter and ask how much they want to service it. Last time I had it done was US$15 a release aid, so I sent four to save on postage... They came back feeling like they were fresh out of the packet, but with the same "vintage" (scuffed and scratched to hell) cases that I like.

If they feel that bad, it's worth paying them to do it. And you can get them to sell you some spring kits at the same time, which can only be useful.

D

Deleted member 7654

Get a worn out, discarded or cheap second hand release aid from somewhere and take it to bits carefully on a sheet of cloth to stop bits rolling about, examine it, carefully study any wear marks, play with it. Put it back together. Take it apart again, adjust it, understand it, get to know it... (You don't have to talk to it or take it out to dinner ;))
You may need to buy a few tools, but it will be a lifelong investment and you will feel really good if you can get to grips with it and aquire new skills. Even if you can't, you will at least have tried, which is more than many.
Having practiced on that you can become your own expert confident to tackle your own equipment.
PS:-
Two handy tips.
1. When dissmantling something you are worried may have springs and balls and stuff that may spring out, you can always do it with the object and your hands in a large plastic bag.
2. Take pictures of it at the various stages of dissasembly.
Del
(From a saftey point of view, one should know how to maintain such a device).

Nightimer

There is very little in the way of "guts" in a choc addy,a couple of springs and a couple of cams etc.
Top tip,if you do decide to have a go yourself (its not difficult I have done it myself on the same release aid many moons ago)get a large clear plastic bag and do all the work inside it (not you just your hands).
It does a great job catching flying springs etc.

M

Moose

Look on john Dudley's website at his early articles and he has one on carter release aid maintenance and has step by step pictures of stripping and rebuilding one.

Release aids really are not that complex they are very basic simple mechanical devices just do the disassembly / assembly inside a large clear plastic bag to ensure if you cause a spring to ping it does so in the bag where you can find it

posted by moose on the loose

Flying Whale

$15 per release at carter seems like a really good deal. Not sure how much postage would be but probably worth it. If you don't want to go there, then one of the UK shops does a rebuild service I understand, though not sure how quick it would be. Don't think I can name them as I think that they are not an AIUK sponsor. You can PM me for details if you want them so as not to upset Dave. However doing it yourself is really not that hard and quite theraputic. Someone from said archery establishment taught me how. Now my Insatiables have been re-built and feel smooth as silk. (Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds for cleaning, fine wet and dry silicon carbide paper and some Lithium grease. If you have ever had a Carter "hang", which many seem to do after a lot of use, this is the way to deal with it. Took me about half an hour first time).

leg_iron

I had an email back from Carter about getting my release aid looked at. Even though i live in the UK, they will only charge me a total of $27 to have a look at my release aid & give it some attention.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I could never wait that long for the two way travel! I am too impatient to source a clear plastic bag; though they are supposedly quite good.
It is a good idea to have a strong magnet on the case as you undo the screws; they will stick to that rather than rolling onto the floor.
There is usually one spring at least that will "spring " out when the case is being opened. Making it spring out towards the waiting plastic bag is an art form.The bigger the bag; the less skill required. If you do the work in the bath,( you will hear the spring landing and it tends to roll to the lowest point where it can be picked up, unless you have soapy fingers) make sure the plug is in and the overflow is covered. If you are having a bath at the same time, don't over fill the bath as the over flow won't function while covered. Also, make sure the bath tray is above the water level as the release aid parts aren't keen on getting wet and can slip around if soap is involved.
Seriously, though, the worst part is plucking up courage to do the job yourself. Once open, all the fear melts away.

M

Moose

I could never wait that long for the two way travel! I am too impatient to source a clear plastic bag; though they are supposedly quite good. It is a good idea to have a strong magnet on the case as you undo the screws; they will stick to that rather than rolling onto the floor. There is usually one spring at least that will "spring " out when the case is being opened. Making it spring out towards the waiting plastic bag is an art form.The bigger the bag; the less skill required. If you do the work in the bath,( you will hear the spring landing and it tends to roll to the lowest point where it can be picked up, unless you have soapy fingers) make sure the plug is in and the overflow is covered. If you are having a bath at the same time, don't over fill the bath as the over flow won't function while covered. Also, make sure the bath tray is above the water level as the release aid parts aren't keen on getting wet and can slip around if soap is involved. Seriously, though, the worst part is plucking up courage to do the job yourself. Once open, all the fear melts away.
The point is to do all the work in the plastic bag so when the spring pings or the screw falls out it stays in the bag

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, I just saw the funny side of working inside a plastic bag; that took my mind onto the bath as a replacement, as really large bags are not so readily available.

M

Moose

You could tape a few bin bags together or do it in a tent (without all the stick things inserted)

M

Moose

Shower cubicle with duck tape over the drain