Hand Held Where to start! Trigger or hinge????

Dreadz

I've been shooting for past few months using the wrist release that came with my bow package but despite my best efforts still find myself punching regularly so am keen to switch to a handheld release, the issue arises with which route to go down.
From what I've seen so far I'm one of only 2 darksiders at my club and the other also uses a wrist release so no real scope to try anything else and my nearest shop is a serious trip away so I'm left in the minefield of purchasing on reviews and recommendations which in an area as subjective as releases is a nightmare!!
Would I be better of starting with trigger or going with a hinge release? Is one easier to master than the other?
As daft as it may sound, running through the motions of what I imagine would be the firing technique of both, hinge does seem to be more natural but I'm not in a position to make any expensive mistakes like shelling out on a backspin or inside out to find it's not for me.
Apologies for the stream of possibly daft questions but any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

urbin

I'd start with a hinge.

I think it teaches you better habits (although if you are punching now you will have work to do whatever you decide).

You can still "punch" a hinge but I think there's much more temptation to do so with a thumb trigger.

Personally I got on well with a hinge with a safety at the start, a tru-ball, which gave me some comfort/confidence. Now I mostly shoot a Stan thumb trigger but I've picked up an older hinge without a safety to re-learn some good habits.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
ditto what Urbin has said. If you can get to a store most will allow you to try a wide selection so you can find one that feels comfortable in your hand.

Marcus26

First thing to remember is that using either badly won't work well. You do have to approach whichever you choose with discipline. Your #1 focus must be on learning to shoot good clean shots and be patient with it.
I was the same and went to a hinge. I took my wrist release and locked it away at home and went to a double FITA with the hinge and stuck with it for 2 days. It was the best thing for me.
You will have bad days and good days but it will be worth it.

I suggest the hinge, but if you go thumb, make sure you approach it with the determination to execute correctly.

Dreadz

I've been focussing on not command firing with the wrist release I've got the last two evenings I've gone out in my garden. It seemed entirely weird at first but it's becoming more natural as I persist. I've just altered my grip and finger position on the trigger, so I can really hook my finger around it, and gently expand into the wall allowing the shot to go off on it's own and the result was almost instantaneous. Far more consistent groups in and around the x. There were the odd one or two glitches but can't really complain about 10+ of 12 in the gold (@10m) as a starting point so will stick to it and when funds allow, treat myself to a hinge release.