Wrist or hand held release (thumb against index finger)

kennls

I have heard it a 100 times and still hear it. A hand held release is superior to a wrist release.

My problem is that my thumb is clumsy, I have misfires occasionally. Also my thumb is not accurate and even though I mostly have surprise shots, it seems like I just can't get good at using my thumb. Its not a case of target panic, its a case of my thumb not being up to the task. I have tried for a year, but still have problems with my thumb, who usually only presses the space bar and hold on to stuff.

I have been an accomplished rifle shooter and using my index finger is therefore much more natural to me. So the wrist releases are somewhat compelling, even though almost every target compound I know advice against them.

Today at a competition in tricky windy conditions, my shooting went bad. The man in 1st place (Martin Damsbo) shoots a hand held release, but the guy in 2nd who is very close to Martin, shoots a wrist release. I strugled with my thumb, sometimes its so slow getting the surpise shot, sometimes its good. When its slow, I dont get a target panic, more a "when the h... will it go off, because my I cant hold still for more than 20 seconds" :scratchch

Whats against me changing to a wrist release and whats for. I'm doubtfull but it feels like I never can master the hand held.

Has any others been in this "thumb" dilemma and what did you do. Bear in mind I'm 41 years old and just took up compound about 10 months ago. It seems like my thumb doesn't want to learn new tricks :bang:

/Kenn

Hidden Hippo

To be honest, I think (as with individual hand held releases) it all comes down to personal preference. Jorge Jimenez (last years world cup winner) shoots with a wrist release, so they must do something right. The only thing I can think of that might be against the wrist release is that it could be harder to pull off a proper surprise shot as you're not really holding the body of the release and getting your hand to squeeze by pulling into the wall as you do with a thumb release.

Personally, I would give one a go and see how you get on with it. If you prefer the feel of it and are more comfortable shooting it then I think you've probably made your decision on the matter.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
You can buy hand-held releases that run off your little finger and the Carter Ember 1 can (apparently) be set to use ring finger as well.

I used the Spigrelli wrist release for many years before switching to a Carter and I loved it.

I think one fo the main reasons that people speak against wrist releases is because it's much harder to achive a surprise shot. The new Carter back-strap is a wrist release that works on back-tension which helps sort out this (supposed) problem.

jerryRTD

Jonathon Mynott shoots well enough with a wrist release. One thing that has always puzzled me is why does an archer need a supprise release any way? When you shot a rifle you took the first pressure on the trigger and squeezed the second and you knew it was going to fire.Why all the waiting around? If it's just to make sure you get back tension then all you have to do is put your rifle brain back in, set up the back tension, line up the the sights and squeeze the trigger.
One of the big advantages with a wrist release aid is the lack of tension in the hand, Buy one and find out, just follow the normal firearms procedure of putting your finger on the trigger until you are read to fire.

kennls

I think I will go ahead and try a wrist release, seeing the likes of Jorge Jimenez and Michael Braden using wrist releases, should be enough. It seems I can't learn to use my thumb correctly without taking years. It will be an easier route just using my learned rifle habits.

The aspect of the surpise shot is also in rifle shooting, where you squeze slowly untill it goes of. The trouble with punching is that one affects force to the trigger fast and hereby affect the shot with forces that take away accuracy.

Looked for the best wrist release aid and found many recomends the Carter Two Shot, which isn't really that expensive.

Carter Enterprises | Premium Release Aids for Archery

It seems this uses the thumb as a safety and then the index finger with back tension for shooting. which should fit me fine. And its not too expensive either.

/Kenn

jerryRTD

That one is a thumb close and not a BT for wrist BT release you need a Back Strap or an HHA true back tension.

Marcus26

A suprize release is a good idea for 99% of the shooters out there because it prevents anticipation, target panic and flinching. Most people who punch will develop these issues. There are the odd ones who punch who do not, but they are the exception to teh rule and are just plain lucky.

INstead of a wrist release shoot a hinge style back tension. You just pull and it fires.

Jonathon Mynott shoots well enough with a wrist release. One thing that has always puzzled me is why does an archer need a supprise release any way? When you shot a rifle you took the first pressure on the trigger and squeezed the second and you knew it was going to fire.Why all the waiting around? If it's just to make sure you get back tension then all you have to do is put your rifle brain back in, set up the back tension, line up the the sights and squeeze the trigger.
One of the big advantages with a wrist release aid is the lack of tension in the hand, Buy one and find out, just follow the normal firearms procedure of putting your finger on the trigger until you are read to fire.

jerryRTD

I think there's a difference between punching the shot and picking your own time. I am looking for that moment of calm alignment between to gusts of wind (if there is wind). I know it will come. The aiming fault I have ( apart from all the other faults) is letting that moment slip by and trying to force the shot instead of coming down and starting again.

Marcus26

I don't think there is a difference. If you are making the shot happen at an exact moment in time, then it's a punch. You can rush a squeeze which is different.
A surprise release doesn't have to take a long time either. Erika shoots whole FITAs shooting 6 arrows in 2 minutes with a BT release. (and scores well) She just speeds up her process.
There is a paranoia that surprise release and the wind can not work together. This is not true and many of the best wind shooters are surprise release shooters.
Also the actual action of pulling and getting a clean break is what makes a bow accurate. I find that my aim does not have to be as good when I shoot this way. But if I am 'Command' shooting then it has to be spot on for me to score well.

pantherman

Deitmar Trillus the 2007 world FITA champion shoots a Short n Sweet Tru Ball wrist release, so they can be shot well.
They have advantages, for a start you can't let them go, or punch yourself in the mouth with one.........not that I've done either of course.....:duh:

sambow

You can use a thumb release without actually depressing the thumb and some argue thats the best way to use it, so a thumb that "lacks finesse" shouldn't be a disability.

Instead of depressing the thumb, fit a very stiff spring into the release so the thumb can rest against it firmly, then use "back tension" to pull the release back into the thumb. Instead of the thumb pressing into the release the release presses into the thumb thus giving more of a surprise release.

Im kinda new to archery, well new to leagues, but maybe this will help. I'm using a T.R.U. Ball Copperhead glove. It's a wrist glove with a grip for your thumb & index finger. Check out truball website.

Compoundking

Instead of depressing the thumb, fit a very stiff spring into the release so the thumb can rest against it firmly, then use "back tension" to pull the release back into the thumb. Instead of the thumb pressing into the release the release presses into the thumb thus giving more of a surprise release.
I do this with a wrist release aid but with my finger instead of my thumb works quite well but how fast should I pull my arm backwards / supply the back tension?:boggled:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Kennis is having similar problems to myself. I had TP badly when I shot a wrist release.( I am not blaming the release however) I changed to a thumb one during the rehab for the TP.
I can shoot with either now without suffering TP, but I cannot use either with any great success. If I try to squeeze until it pops, as a surprise, it may be an ok shot or rubbish. It is well over a year now since I learnt how to shoot without TP, but I'm making next to no progress score wise.
I feel that I am doing something wrong but can't put my finger or what it is. (Or should that be thumb??) It's almost as if a split second of the shot process is cut from the routine at the point of release. In that short time things seem to happen, that are unknown to me, and spoiling things.

sambow

how fast should I pull my arm backwards / supply the back tension?:boggled:
The whole point really is not to conciously do anything. The fact that you are saying "how fast should I pull my arm backwards" means you are trying to initiate the release, which is what you want to avoid. I always try to aim on gold depress the thumb on the release as hard as I can without it going off (occassionally I get this wrong and depress too hard, but thats fine because its a surprise when I do!). Then with the aim still on gold gradually apply bacj tension and when it goes off if I have done it right it will be a total surprise. there are occassions when I do what I think you are doing (usually when I get tired) and conciously snap my elbow back firmly. I curse myself when I do that because that is not what I want to do. With a thumb release I have tried relaxing my fingers (but not my thumb) as I draw back and that works. I have also tried clenching my hand gently as I draw back which is my preferred method as it is consistent with how to release a hinged head BT release which I am currently shooting.

You could try drawing back gently without a jerk and at the same time tighten the muscles in your hand to clench your fingers. The key though is to do it all gradually so it goes off as a surprise and you are not conciously initiating the release.