Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Discuss Wrist release to...what? at the Compound Release Aids within Archery Interchange Forums; I'm finding my wrist release a bit random - on our big shoot at the ...
    In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks

Wrist release to...what?

I'm finding my wrist release a bit random - on our big shoot at the weekend my anchor point was suddenly behind my neck having always been just behind my jaw/below my ear. I have a feeling it's stretched in the vile rain we shot in last week. Not one to blame kit but I could do with more consistency so thinking about a hinge or thumb release?
    Being relatively (okay very) new, I'm thinking a thumb release might be the best option. In which case, what to go for and is there a way to measure the size of your hand (I think I'm medium but not sure)?
    A kind chap has offered to let me try a hinge release but I'd like to try a thumb trigger too - any recommendations?

Very impressed with Mybo and they do a few nice looking thumb releases; a possible option? It's one item I seem to see for sale quite often when someone clearly doesn't get on with what they've bought. 150++ is a fair bit of money to just risk!
    Mybo Origin
    Member of Bowmen Of Wadebridge
    Archery GB member

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The hinge type is the sweetest release type I have ever used. I found that I could relax more when shooting, as it seemed so " natural".
    The problem I had was drawing and getting early misfires. The arrows fly high and long!!!! very scary. Some archers have sorted their draws to the point where they do not expect misfires. I gave up as I could not take the risk... when was the next one going to happen??
    The thumb triggers are less frightening, I find. I put my thumb on a plate that I made and when at full draw and ready, i relax the thumb and it drops off the plate and is by the trigger. Then, I can go through my triggering routine.
    A light trigger, I find requires a careful approach to the trigger post, in case my thumb lands on it when I don't want it to. A stiff trigger means I can let the thumb drop to the post and KNOW it will take some effort to make it go off. That is a secure sort of feeling.
    One thing about thumb triggers that varies, from model to model, is the distance the jaw is in front of the curled fingers of the draw hand. If I use one that has too much distance in front, my draw hand is too far back from the string and I feel over stretched( like you did with the wrist strap)
    I found two models that keep the jaw right beside my knuckles, Carter Whisper and Carter Plain one. Many Tru Balls have jaws that reach forward about a cm or more and that rules them out for me.
    Kernowlad likes this.

Thanks
    The index finger/wrist strap release aid anchor will be rather different than when using a hinge or thumb trigger release.
    I am a dedicated exclusive hinge BT release (Stan BlackJack) aid user, arrived at from dreaded severe target panic some years back started by a "hair" thumb trigger Carter release. Fortunately most good trigger releases these days have either interchangeable springs or adjustable trigger tension.
    I urge you to at least give a hinge a try, but be sure to have it set cold to start. All the fear associated with these releases is unfounded if set & approached correctly from the outset. A quality hinge release has fine adjustment with a hex key, so it can be set precisely to suit your personal style of grip & activation.
    Yes, your anchor contact will feel different, probably better !
    style before fashion

Thanks
    I've gone straight in to compound on trigger releases - using both a Carter Attraction S and an Insatiable 2 to find which works best for me - as they are what came with the bow.

If pressed my vote goes to the Insatiable only because it is a little easier to cock and has a fatter trigger barrel but I might try switching the barrel to the Attraction this Saturday and see what difference that makes.

Both are set to hair trigger - downside is the odd scary wide shot if I come off the back wall since I respond by firing rather than coming down and resetting my draw. Not a release issue just a user one

It is tricky to build up a more comprehensive comparison as I only shoot once a week but although they are expensive I would definitely invest in a trigger release if I were to go down the compound route more seriously.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

Thanks
    Anther thing which has helped immensely is a compound release trainer.

I got to practice for many weeks with a Morin Compound Release trainer and the two releases before I got anywhere near picking up a bow for the first time. I think it has reaped huge rewards as I was completely comfortable with the shot cycle and how the release reacted with the total safety of no arrows involved. Would imagine it's a perfect bit of kit for trying out different releases too.

Merlin are showing out of stock but if I were serious about compound I would definitely be looking at getting one from somewhere as a regular practice aid - to simulate bow weight I just clipped a filled water bottle to the end loop with a carabiner, looks odd but works a treat and is easily variable.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks again guys. The tricky thing for me is trying things out; I've generally used advise and read enough reviews to make informed decisions but this is a tricky one - even if I limit myself to say, Carter, they make about a dozen thumb releases and that's assuming a thumb release is the best option.
    I could do with an hour or two trying different types but my nearest archery shop is just too far away - about two hours.

I like Geoff's idea of a release with the "claw" very close to your hand but there may be other factors. It sure is a tricky one. Pretty set on changing to something else, just not sure what and it's a fair chunk of money to just risk.

Hmmm...
    Mybo Origin
    Member of Bowmen Of Wadebridge
    Archery GB member

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast