B-50 String and Tight Nock Fit

Frank Lawler

Hello All,
The nocks I use are too tight on my new B-50 bow string. Can I improve the fit by removing the serving then winding it back on a bit tighter? Modifying the serving seems simpler to me than sanding down a dozen arrow nocks; that is, once I learn how to do it. I do have two old strings that I could practice on, with a little advice, please. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 7654

You could re-serve with finer serving, but the best solution long term is to get into making your own strings, many strings are very overbuilt with too many strands. Another solution is a round needle file to adjust the nocks.
To serve nicely you really need the string tight, so do it on the bow or make a string making jig. Mine is a length of dexion angle iron racking which was surplus to requirement at work and a couple of fencing eyebolts from B&Q with the eyes opened out into hooks.
Del

grimsby archer

Hello All,
The nocks I use are too tight on my new B-50 bow string. Can I improve the fit by removing the serving then winding it back on a bit tighter? Modifying the serving seems simpler to me than sanding down a dozen arrow nocks; that is, once I learn how to do it. I do have two old strings that I could practice on, with a little advice, please. Thanks.
I get the impression that your nocks might not be plastic, but just in case they are, soften the nocks by dipping them for a few seconds in a hot cup of tea, then fit them on to the bowstring. Of course, you can use any liquid, but tea gives you a drink for afterwards :)

Hudzi93

I get the impression that your nocks might not be plastic, but just in case they are, soften the nocks by dipping them for a few seconds in a hot cup of tea, then fit them on to the bowstring. Of course, you can use any liquid, but tea gives you a drink for afterwards :)
I reckon he's using a traditional bow or long bow and so has wooden arrows, hence the mention of sanding the nocks down.