Brownell #4 for a recurve centre serving

Osmosis

Here I am again,

Been reading up on centre serving materials and Angel Majesty (serving) seems the way to go, but is of course rather pricey. I'll buy some when I eventually start making my own strings.

Now, Brownell no.4 is mainly used for end loops but is it true that it can also be used with great effect for centre serving?

What are the advantages (despite price) and disadvantages of using #4 over other materials?

Many thanks,

Osmo

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Is that soft twist?
If it is, then I think it is soft compared to the other serving threads that I've used.I think, being soft is a bit of a double edged sword.It feels nice and soft on the string, so for end loops it may be kinder to the limb tips. Being soft,I find it is a little trickier to get the windings close together at the winding on stage.(It's not just the tension of the serving tool, it's also the need to pack one winding close to the previous one.) Getting that wrong can lead to the windings bunching up later and leaving gaps where they have moved away.

Osmosis

Is that soft twist?
If it is, then I think it is soft compared to the other serving threads that I've used.I think, being soft is a bit of a double edged sword...
Yes, it's soft twist. I tried serving a small amount yesterday and it did lay down well, nice and tight and rigid. I bought it some time ago to do tie-on knocking points. My off-the-shelf String Flex D75 from Quicks has a centre serving that seems very similar to the no.4. Going to re-serve the centre and see how it goes, but when I get the string jig built and can afford some 8125, it's then a case of where do I go from there for serving material.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I suppose the hardest serving material would be monofilament. It's like fishing line and gives a serving that looks just like a screw thread. Diamond back is between that and soft twist.Grips the string material very well, but I'm not sure how well recurve archers would like it; it might be too rough on their tabs.

mf78

No.4 is perfectly fine for a centre serving, and in fact I shot my highest ever FITA score (1228) using it. Only downside to it is that its not particularly durable, so if the string rubs on your armguard for example, it will fray there and eventually break. Mine also frayed where i nock the arrow too. Majesty is good too and the most durable serving I've used, but I havent noticed any performance benefits from it.

grimsby archer

Ive used #4 for years.
All our club bows are served with it (by me)

Monofillament was very popular in the early 80s.
The only problem with monofillament is it has a tendency to snap due to wear and when it snaps it partially uncoils like a spring covering your bowstring. There is no recovery from this apart from put on a spare string until you can completely redo the serving. Unlike most serving threads, you cant tie off the loose end and keep shooting.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I liked the way monofilament made a smooth nock fit that didn't compact.It was rather like the Beiter nock idea but easier to do.
As GA says, there was little warning of anything about to snap; and nothing you could do about it if it did.Sort of all or nothing set up.On or off! Should suit Bowtech binary cams.

The Meggy

I've used BCY 62XS for recurve centre servings and it seems to work, plus more recently have been using Diamondback, and not had any complaints (yet...).

Big Dave

No.4 is perfectly fine for a centre serving, and in fact I shot my highest ever FITA score (1228) using it. Only downside to it is that its not particularly durable, so if the string rubs on your armguard for example, it will fray there and eventually break. Mine also frayed where i nock the arrow too. Majesty is good too and the most durable serving I've used, but I havent noticed any performance benefits from it.
I agree No4 is a very good center serving materal and compared to majesty shooting wise I cannot tell the differance it will ware but at the price it is sold at you can afford to replace it more often and still save money and you have a bigger choice of colours to.

also the .021 majesty is the same size as No4 so if you want to try it there will be no issues with nock fit.

Osmosis

Thanks to one and all for the insightful comments. Good to know no.4 is up to the job when finances can't justify majesty.