Centre Serving Tension

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'm about to re-serve the centre of my string.

The last time that I did it, it seemed a lot tighter than it was when it came from the shop.

My question is, does it matter? Can it do any harm?

grimsby archer

I'm about to re-serve the centre of my string.

The last time that I did it, it seemed a lot tighter than it was when it came from the shop.

My question is, does it matter? Can it do any harm?
I'll start with the obvious:
A tighter serving will be a slightly looser fit on your nocks.
A looser serving will slip easier

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks ........... but ............... I was really wondering if gorrilla-ing it too tight could cause extra stresses in the fibres underneath, especially as it is bending in that area - or is it not worth worrying about?

carl7

Thanks ........... but ............... I was really wondering if gorrilla-ing it too tight could cause extra stresses in the fibres underneath, especially as it is bending in that area - or is it not worth worrying about?
Not worth worrying about IMO. I pull my endloop and center serving back serving tail pretty darn tight using a crossbar of some sort. Have also seen pro string makers using the same pulling tension.

For example, wrapping the tail end length around a needle nose plier and using it as a T bar handle.

Carl

caspian

serving too tight can cut a strand of the string, yes.

I tend to put my centre servings on fairly tight because I don't want slip, but you do have to size the serving to suit the nocks under the additional tension. on 24 strand strings (452X or 8125) 0.022 to 0.024" seems about right, depending on the serving itself - braided serving like Diamondback seems to lie a little flatter.

I judge mine by the winding tension and fall under weight of the serving jig - if you have to drag the thing around the whole circumference of the string, it's too tight. this is with a Beiter jig with heavy nuts, lighter jigs will obviously be different.

I do tug the back serving fairly snug, but if you do 12-15 backwinds and then keep the loop firm when finishing out you only need a couple of moderate tugs to seat it home, no need to go medieval on it with pliers. some string materials like dacron (which you wouldn't be using for a modern bow) do "squish" a bit so they need a bit more elbow applied to the finish to ensure everything is seated completely, but if you burnish the wax out of the string bundle beforehand it has far less distance to travel. the same applies to modern materials. as you are redoing an existing serving you won't need to do this step.

EVC

Caspian, the strand count for the string has the nock fit constraint regardless the bow type. Using more strands may lead to too tight a nock fit. For cables the strand count may be higher. However BCY itself indicates this number of strands for strings and cables.

Question: What is the difference in strength between Dynaflight and 8125? I previously made my strings and cables out of Dynaflight. My strings were made with 16 strands and cables were 14 strands. Now I have started to use 8125 in which I made a string consisting of 18 strands, and I am wondering if 14 strands for a cable would be strong enough because of the smaller diameter. Could you tell me which is faster and more durable, no.2d.016 end serving or no.2s.018 end serve?
Answer: Both DynaFLIGHT 97 and 8125 are made from the highest quality Dyneema? yarn. 97 with its larger diameter is about 23% stronger than 8125, so 18 strands of 8125 would give you similar strength to 16 of 97. Both materials have excellent durability.

We recommend 18 strands of 8125, perhaps 20 in your cables, but consider putting 452X in your cables.

8125 is the faster string material.

If you use too few strands, you are likely to get some "creep"; particularly on the high poundage bows at high temperatures.

Regarding end serving, our 3D and 2S have similar strength and durability. The 3D is popular because of its smaller diameter and 3 ply rounder construction; it seems to serve tighter. Halo .014 is another option with a very tough, small braid.
From BCY Fibers

caspian

Caspian, the strand count for the string has the nock fit constraint regardless the bow type.
thank you, I make around 200 strings/year for my club and I understand the concept of nock fit quite well.

I have yet to see a compound shooter using small groove nocks, and 22-24 strands is fairly normal. I don't know anyone who would use 18 strands of 8125 for a compound, it would creep forever.

EVC

No problem, if it works for you, that is what matters. TBH I would not think of 8125 for high end compound bows. I thought least creepy ;) stuff such as 452X was always used. But my experience with strings for compounds is very, very limited (thank God :relieved:, it is too laborious to make them).

mf78

I cant imagine what nocks would fit on 24 strands of 8125. 452 sure, as its thinner per strand. Are you getting your materials mixed up Caspian?

caspian

TBH I would not think of 8125 for high end compound bows. I thought least creepy ;) stuff such as 452X was always used. But my experience with strings for compounds is very, very limited (thank God :relieved:, it is too laborious to make them).
8125 is reputed to fly a little faster. I would use something else like 452x for cables. nothing to stop it being used for strings too though.

compound string sets are indeed laborious to make compared to recurve, but at least they last a lot longer if maintained.