Compound Cables " Centre" Serving

Bunsen

A quick question about making compound cables.

I have started to make my own compound strings and cables and need some advice about serving the cables.

When making a set of compound cables should I serve the section of the cables which runs through the cable guide? and if so, what serving material would you recommend.

I guess serving the cable would reduce wear but I don't want to increase the diameter to much and cause problems with the cables sliding through the guide.

Bald Eagle

Personally I've had no need to serve cables that use a slide and nor do the manufacturers. I've had the cables fray due to a dodgy cable slide but replaced it with a teflon slide and had no more problems. Perhaps the problems outweigh the benefits?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have asked this question before and had mixed responses; some serve, others don't. Teflon slides work well, as BE says.
Sometimes the cables fray, sometimes they seem to get a nice glossy surface where they run through. My guess is that when one strand stands out from the rest, it takes a battering and produces a fluff ball and can eventually break making things look even worse. Sometimes an edge gets "sharpened" onto the slots in the slide and then the fraying speeds up.

caspian

When making a set of compound cables should I serve the section of the cables which runs through the cable guide? and if so, what serving material would you recommend.
I do, and on my current 27 month old cables the only wear is a nice polish on the serving. the stock Hoyt slide is more or less unmarked.

served with Brownell 0.015" mini serving put on quite tight and then waxed with silicone based was once, and not touched since. zero issues with fit into the slide, they can be clipped in and out by hand.