Couple of String Questions?

Simmy_82

Firstly i am fairly new to archery so some questions may sound stupid.

I bought my first bow at the weekend. I havent used it yet (other than the shop trial) so i have a couple of questions about bow string care etc.

1. Whats the best way to store it? Currently its still in the tube it came in. Should i store it in this once i begin using it regulary or is there a better way to store it?

2. Do they come prewaxed? Its a Fast Flight string so wondering if i need to wax/treat it before use?

3. I have seen on some bow care guides and stringing guides that say when i install the bow string on my bow that i should twist it before putting the bottom loop on? It wasnt something covered when we strung our bows on our beginners course so curious if this step is required or no?

Thanks for your patience guys and gals.

Insanity-Rocks

The string will need at least some twists in it. I think the rule of thumb is one twist per inch (I'm sure someone else will come along and correct me) You'll have to string the bow and find out what the bracing height (distance from the nocking point to the throat of the riser) and compare that to what the bow manuel says it should be. If your bracing height is too short add a few twists, and if it's too long take some twists out.

The bow will have to have the same bracing height everytime you shoot it, otherwise it'll act completely differently from one week to the next.

As for waxing, I wax mine whenever it starts getting fluffy

Davewarn

The string should be waxed often, it needs to look like one string not lots of strings twisted together so wax it loads then rub your fingers up and down until its almost to hot to bare, that should melt the wax and bond the string together :)

Simmy_82

Thanks. If i recall i did look like lots of strings twisted together when not on the bow. If thats the case do i wax it once its on the bow?

I have already ordered some wax, a spare string and nocking points. I dont plan to shoot until friday, but this can be put off until i have the wax etc.

Insanity-Rocks

It'll look different when under tension - even if it does still look like seperate strands it won't damage it in any way or be dangerous to shoot it like that, it'll just be a slight decrease in the bows performance - barely noticable really - just make sure you wax it when your wax arrives, or borrow some from a friendly club member if they don't mind.

Simmy_82

Thanks again. That solved the waxing issue.

How about storage?

With regards to twist, the bow is 70" so at 1 twist per inch its 70 twists??

Insanity-Rocks

Hmm, maybe it's more like 1 twist per 2 inches... try 30 twists as a rough guide then match it as close as possible to manifacturers reccomendation for bracing height. As for storage, keeping it in the tube will be fine, there is a way of putting one loop through the other one, and then pulling that loop through the first (ask a club member to explain, nearly impossible to do in writing) that will keep the twists in it when not on the bow.

Simmy_82

That's great. Thanks for the advice. I'll ask a member on Friday for storage advice. The guy in the shop has already put nocking points on my first string. I'll do 30 twists and see what they are like and change them if I need to.

Whitehart

Thanks. If i recall i did look like lots of strings twisted together when not on the bow. If thats the case do i wax it once its on the bow?

I have already ordered some wax, a spare string and nocking points. I dont plan to shoot until friday, but this can be put off until i have the wax etc.
Just go and shoot, make sure you bracing height is within what the shop said stop worrying and enjoy

Davewarn

Thanks again. That solved the waxing issue.

How about storage?

With regards to twist, the bow is 70" so at 1 twist per inch its 70 twists??
For Storage i use a string keeper but you can use a paper clip, just bring both ends together and clip them so the string cant unwind :)

Simmy_82

Thanks Dave. There is a string keeper in with my string. So i clip both end together and keep it in the tube it came in or keep it elsewhere?

Davewarn

Yeah i keep mine in the tube it came in, just fold it as few times as poss and make sure the keeper is clipped into both ends, the string will soon loosen up :)

Simmy_82

Thanks again Dave. I know its not currently got the keeper attached but will do that tonight when i get home. My wax should have arrived this morning so will wax the string tonight and pack it away properly ready for my first shoot session with it tomorrow.

Thanks again all for your advice. Much appreciated.

Simmy_82

Sorry to double post. Have another question.

Does my string need "shooting in" before waxing?

Also I've worked out 20 twists gets my bowstring to the correct brave height. Do I wax it after I've twisted and strung it?

Simmy_82

Thanks again Dave. Like i say i am off the the club tonight so will badger one of our mentors for info and tips on waxing. All comments made have been much appreciated.

Also yet another question. I ordered my second string, 70" to suit my bow etc, again its a fast flight only difference is its a 16 strand, where as the one i got with my bow is 18. Will i notice a difference at my current level? I didnt realise the came in different strand qty's.

Davewarn

Most people used to use 16 but as tech has come on strings are getting thinner and stronger so 18 is now the norm but i dont think you will notice at your level ( or mine for that matter as i'm no great archer :) ) as with all new strings it will need to be shot in and will strech a little, i have just had a new string made and am currently shooting it in(its 16 strand where as my old string was 18) :)

Simmy_82

Ok thanks. Will shoot the 18 strand one in for the next few weeks then shoot the 16 in. Not long now til my first shoot session. Getting excited lol