Help wanted: advice on Angel ASB Majesty

EVC

Hello,

I just received a spool of it and I would like to hear some tips on how to deploy it (FWIW I am used to 8125). As the spool is small, I would like not to waste it with failed attempts if I can. So what I need to know is

1- Number of strands for large (namely g-pin nocks).
2- Length I should make the string as I understand it creeps less than 8125 (I make my 8125 strings 3.5 to 3.75" shorter than the 3" nominal length).
3- Brace height. I read somewhere it must be between 5 and 20mm (the latter seems to be too much).
4- Any other hint that a user of this materil deems relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Mufti

If you are unsure and unfamiliar with making strings yourself, get some cheap string material and practice with it.
I am sure you will settle into a method that makes a consistent length - it will end up longer or shorter than the original master string that you are copying, it should be a consistent longer or shorter.

Leave these new strings on the bow overnight and note the settling in effect.
Then, after 3 or 4 cheap strings, you will have an idea how to make the Angel ones - make more than one so you will always have a replacement ready to go.

As for the strands, wrap a length around your hand a few times and see how the fit compares to the nock on your arrow. Don't forget to wrap your serving on as well - no need to make an actual string to get a good fit.
Brace height is down to the riser/limb combination - suggest you begin with the same brace height as your original string i.e. copy the same length and you should in theory have the same bracing height as well.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hello,

I just received a spool of it and I would like to hear some tips on how to deploy it (FWIW I am used to 8125). As the spool is small, I would like not to waste it with failed attempts if I can. So what I need to know is

1- Number of strands for large (namely g-pin nocks).
2- Length I should make the string as I understand it creeps less than 8125 (I make my 8125 strings 3.5 to 3.75" shorter than the 3" nominal length).
3- Brace height. I read somewhere it must be between 5 and 20mm (the latter seems to be too much).
4- Any other hint that a user of this materil deems relevant.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not convinced by claims of differences in creep etc, as it's basically dyneema in both cases...

The thing which was most obvious to me, when I used it, was how much more awkward it is to make a string without wax. The stuff is darn slippery. YMMV, but expect some wastage because of that.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I shoot Majesty and Majesty Pro. I use 16 or 18 strands. Nock fit is more about the serving size, but I do use large nocks.

EVC

I'm not convinced by claims of differences in creep etc, as it's basically dyneema in both cases...

The thing which was most obvious to me, when I used it, was how much more awkward it is to make a string without wax. The stuff is darn slippery. YMMV, but expect some wastage because of that.
Well, I decided to give it a try. I added 1/2in I usually make my 8125 strings to the distance between posts, 34 3/4in. vs 34 1/4in. (NOTE: while winding the strands I apply tension just enough to keep the strands straight and even and increase it to make the end loops). This extra 1/2inResulted in a too long string, BH 200mm with 20 twists, 210mm with 40. So for the second attempt I reduced the distance in 3/4in (i.e. 34in) to increase BH 3/4in. Worked perfectly, 218mm with 20 twists.

So far my observations are that the creep claims may be true as the BH dropped less than 6mm whereas with the 8125 strings I make it drops 1/2in or more (I never really measured it before). On the other hand it seems to stretch more, given the initial (with little tension) distance between posts is more or less the same as with 8125.

As for slippery, it was not a big issue for me because of the strategy aforementioned.

I shoot Majesty and Majesty Pro. I use 16 or 18 strands. Nock fit is more about the serving size, but I do use large nocks.
Exactly like 8125, 16 strands padded to 18 under the centre serving (Majesty as well) for large nocks.

I will shoot with this string tomorrow and I intend to chrono the bow with it and compare with 8125G.

EVC

Resurrecting the thread, one of the questions I still have is the brace height.

Angel claims 5 to 20mm lower BH with Majesty than with other materials. Has anybody tried it? What you Majesty users do?

D

Deleted member 7654

I don't know why people insist on wasting expensive string material just to get the right nock fit???
You can bulk out under the serving using any thread, or serving, or cheap string material or double serve the whole centre serving. Or get smaller nocks.
I bulk out under the centre serving on Warbow strings, I only use 12 strands for the body of the string, but I add thick cotton thread, adding in an extra strand every 8 turns of serving or so, this gives a plump comfortable area where the fingers will be and gives a sort of barrelled look to the serving.
If the cost of the string material is an issue, then experiment a bit.
If 12 strands is ok for a 130# warbow, it's prob' ok on a target recurve :)
Del
(I reserve the right to be wrong, terms and conditions apply, other materials for bukling out centre serving are also available)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Resurrecting the thread, one of the questions I still have is the brace height.

Angel claims 5 to 20mm lower BH with Majesty than with other materials. Has anybody tried it? What you Majesty users do?
20mm! :)
I just use the limb manufacturers recommendations. They should know best. But they are only guidelines in any case. I wouldn't expect anyone to get good results right at the bottom end, but perhaps Angel is suggesting that may be possible?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I use recycled old strings to put 2 extra strands under my serving for a perfect nock fit.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I don't know why people insist on wasting expensive string material just to get the right nock fit???
You can bulk out under the serving using any thread, or serving, or cheap string material or double serve the whole centre serving. Or get smaller nocks.
Me too. I use 10 strand bulked up under the serving with whatever I have lying around for nock fit. Still massively overbuilt I think.

EVC

I bulk out under the centre serving on Warbow strings, I only use 12 strands for the body of the string, but I add thick cotton thread, adding in an extra strand every 8 turns of serving or so, this gives a plump comfortable area where the fingers will be and gives a sort of barrelled look to the serving.
If the cost of the string material is an issue, then experiment a bit.
If 12 strands is ok for a 130# warbow, it's prob' ok on a target recurve :)
Del
(I reserve the right to be wrong, terms and conditions apply, other materials for bukling out centre serving are also available)
Del, I experimented with lower strands count (ten to twelve - paded on the loops and center serving) years ago in an effort to improve bow behavior with stiffer arrows. It worked to some extent though made the bow significantly noisier. Eventually I gave up on those arrows (Carbontech mckinneys) and came back to more conventional strands count (16 still padded on the center serving to fit large knocks).

The arrows I am currently shooting fit well (I wouldn't say tune because I just do not fine tune the bow - I am not that good yet) so I don't think using a string with lower strands count is worth it. I started recycling the Angel Majesty strings though.

Cheers,

Elder.

EVC

Hello All,

Thank you for your inputs.

After reading the answers I did some googling and I was not able to find that information about brace anywhere (including Angel's web page) but Alt Services (that I suspect is outdated). So I will just let it alone and use the same BH as my 8125 strings.

Cheers!!!

Elder.