Question: String compatibility

hypervelocity

Hello guys,

Earlier this morning (PH Time, GMT+7) I was shooting at the local range, and my string snapped in my face.

I emerged unharmed from that ordeal, fortunately, and one of the guys at the range was generous enough to lend me their spare bowstring. At the end of the day, they let me have the string. Thank goodness people like them still exist.

Anyway, moving on to the point, is it safe for wooden limbs to use Fast Flight strings? I've been shooting the fast flight (unfortunately, I don't know its specifications, brand, etc. All I know is that it is fast flight, and has 20 strands) the entire day on its lowest weight setting on the weight adjustment, since I was too scared to put it at maximum, fearing for the safety of my limbs.

I am currently using a Samick Progress II #34 68" Wooden Limbs. Is it still advisable to continue shooting using this string, or should I get back to Dacron?

Cheers

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Fastflight is very strong compared to dacron.
It might be worth trying to find out why the fastflight string broke?
Where along the length did it break?
Could the part that broke have been damaged by repeated rubbing against something? Was it worn in places before it snapped?

D

Deleted member 7654

Like Geoff says, I'd guess the string was damaged...you should be able to tow an articulated lorry on 20 strands of fastflight. (Ok you might have to take the handbreak off... ;) )
34 pounds is prob less than the breaking strain of 1 strand which means you had a 20:1 safety factor which is plenty.
I can't remember what the rule of thumb is, prob somewhere between 5:1 and 10:1 depending on what you are shooting.
Del

Darryl

I believe the original string that broke was of Dacron material.

It is the replacement string that is a 20 strand Fastlight that was given to the person who posted.

D

Deleted member 7654

My 75# longbow has a 14 strand Dacron string which I made for it some 20 plus years ago, it pulls to 90# on occaision.
For a string to fail on a relatively low poundage bow requires the string to made of unsuitable material or to be damaged.
If there were enough strands to make it thick enough to get the serving on it would have been strong enough. Dacron is pretty stuff, unless if it has a nick or has neen abused in some way...
I s'pose the botom line is make your own strings, then you will be confident in them or at least if they break, you will know who to blame.
Del

buzz lite beer

Fast flight strings can safely be used with a Samick progress II riser/limbs, the Samick progress I is the bow that was advised to be shot with a dacron string, and if memory serves me both of these risers were actually made in the USA for Samick. Most modern "wooden" limbs are as safe and as intrinsically stable as any synthetic cored alternative don't be confused on this, many people make the mistake of there being "carbon limbs" and "wooden limbs" there are many variants and combinations of materials used in limb manufacture lots of "carbon limbs" have wood cores

hypervelocity

Actually, the upper serving of the Dacron string that broke was already damaged. It's my bad for still shooting with the damaged string. T_T

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their opinions. Just shot my bow at its maximum setting, and everything seems to be working out just fine. :poulies:

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Fast flight strings can safely be used with a Samick progress II riser/limbs, the Samick progress I is the bow that was advised to be shot with a dacron string, and if memory serves me both of these risers were actually made in the USA for Samick. Most modern "wooden" limbs are as safe and as intrinsically stable as any synthetic cored alternative don't be confused on this, many people make the mistake of there being "carbon limbs" and "wooden limbs" there are many variants and combinations of materials used in limb manufacture lots of "carbon limbs" have wood cores
The manufacturer recommends otherwise I'm afraid. I used to shoot a Samick Progress II and they said to use Dacron instead.

Cheers,

Martin

buzz lite beer

Samick Progress II
Tournament-quality recurve bow at entry
level price. This bow is weight/tiller
adjustable to fine tune it to the archer.
FastFlight strings can be used.

the above from the JVD Catalouge, and the two owners of the bows in question who are members of our club shot their progress II with FF strings and carbon arrows while they had the bows with no ill effects

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Samick Progress II
Tournament-quality recurve bow at entry
level price. This bow is weight/tiller
adjustable to fine tune it to the archer.
FastFlight strings can be used.

the above from the JVD Catalouge, and the two owners of the bows in question who are members of our club shot their progress II with FF strings and carbon arrows while they had the bows with no ill effects
How strange! I thought that they had discontinued the Progress II years ago. Perhaps it was just the (my) older model that did not support FF then? *shrug*

Martin

buzz lite beer

They have indeed discontinued the progress range of bows many years ago, the reference was taken from a JVD catalouge of that period of time and the fact stands that the two people I know who owned these bows did use these bows with fast flight and in conjunction with carbon arrows, most bows (limb/riser) that are advised not to shoot using fast flight strings can't shoot carbon arrows for the same reason, the glues & materials used in their construction aren't up for the job of dealing with the extra energy imparted upon them

The Meggy

I seem to remember Severns Archery (before they retired from trading) also saying that you could use the Progress 1 and 2 bows safely with fastflight type bowstrings. So I guess it should be alright, without being certain though!