Recurve centre serving length and can the kisser button be on the serving?

sarahm

Hi
I have just ordered myself a new recurve bowstring but when I've come to fit it the centre serving section is too long at the top to enable me to fit a kisser button on it anywhere but on top of the centre serving material itself!
The centre serving is 8 inches long and the top of the centre serving starts 66.5cm from the top string loop.
The serving extends up over my lips when drawing the bow and therefore covers the area where I would normally locate my kisser button.
I have tried to find out if this is a mistake or if others have put kisser buttons on the serving but with no luck.
I am also concerned as to whether it is permissible in tournaments as if I look down I can see the serving out of the corner of my eye when shooting.

Anyone got any good advice regarding the length of the serving and the location of kissers on serving please? Thanks :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I don't think it's a mistake unless it was ordered for use as you require.
I use the idea that the serving can reach up to the underside of your nose, so it will be out of view at full draw.
If there is too little serving above the nocking point, it is possible sometimes for the upper serving to move and come loose; or even for the serving to part at the nocking point allowing the NP to rise up the string over time.
If you unwind the top part of the serving, to allow the kisser where you want it, will you be able to serve the loose end in the normal way, to keep it from unwinding by itself?

rachann

Supporter
Supporter
Hi

The rules of the centre serving are :- The serving on the string must not end within the archer's vision at full draw. The bowstring must in no way offer aid in aiming through a peephole, marking or any other means.

If I were unhappy with the serving reserve it, just make sure you are using the same thickness of serving or the nocks may be to tight or to loose.